The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:49:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic rounds as fake rivets  (Read 3796 times)
CMarshall
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: January 26, 2010, 12:11:52 am »

An old, old thread in another forum suggested using plastic 1/2 rounds as fake rivets on someone's project, U.S. Plastics being a source for those. After searching that site, I came up empty on plastic rounds. Does anyone hear know where such things can be purchased? (I also read about someone using painted split-peas as rivets, but I want something about half the size of those for use on a very quick, inexpensive project I'm hoping to do with my 12 yr old nephew & his friend.   Thanks!
Drac
Snr. Officer

it's a start! what's next?

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:29:35 am »

airsoft bb's are good to use. walmart, kmart, target and just about any sporting goods store will have them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 12:31:20 am by Drac » Logged

it iz pozzible... I think... maybe sort of
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:43:22 am »

Someone suggested using googly eyes like the kind you use for sock puppets. You should be able to buy small bags of them in hobby stores for no money.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
elShoggotho
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:02:58 am »

Maybe you should use brass fasteners for small rivets. I do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 03:07:48 am »

I made large false rivets by pushing clay into ping pong ball halves, put a sheet of plastic in first though to aid the clay's removal, the reason for the clay is that it is just alot stronger than ping pong balls Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
CMarshall
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:53:57 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I found an easy-to-use product from the jewelry/scrapbooking section of a store. It's a round tray with pie slice sections for 4 sizes of tiny, and I mean tiny, round, iron-on studs in silver & brass colors. Dozens of 'em. There are a couple of sections of stars, too, but the studs alone incl just the right sizes for our project. With sturdy glue, they'll do great.
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:39 pm »

I too use the brass split paper fasteners when strength is not important. I have seen the small plastic self adhesive hemispheres sold by the hundred on cards. i think decorative card makers use them. There is also a site called Studs and Spikes where you can buy what it says, in brad form, that is with two small legs to push through but these are only really any good for thin leather.

For anything bigger the Femo route of baked modelling plastic seems to me to be the best route.
For anything where strength is going to matter, coachbolts are the thing. These are ordinary bolts with nuts but the head is a round dome. no screw slot or hexagon.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:45:39 am »

5 minute epoxy, applied with the head of a finishing nail, will create a hemispherical droplet that can be hand painted brass or copper after it dries. It's quite easy to make rows of them on a surface, and they don't come off. That's what these are:

imhardkore
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 11:23:37 pm »

i need to do about 2-300 on a large project for looks only. gluing something on seems like the way to go for me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: