The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:15:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Steampunk Primer" article  (Read 1827 times)
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Gomi no sensei

« on: June 22, 2007, 02:19:07 am »

Hey folks, I thought you all might like to read this article over at the Eating My Words blog. It's a 5-part series covering one person's take on the different aspects of steampunk culture including literature, music, fashion, modding, and the future of the culture. It was brought to my attention by the author whom I've since encouraged to come join our great little community here at the forums.

EatingMyWords.org Steampunk Article

-~D~-

“I'm not a paranoid deranged millionaire. Goddamit, I'm a billionaire.” - Howard Hughes
Gearworks
Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:53:14 am »

I agree with the conclusion, but I will note that I think goggles are uncomfortable and will thusly never wear them, however, there are some great magnifying lens attachments I plan on getting for my glasses, which are useful and appeal to the genre.

There is a place for us out there, we need only pick the spot.  Rise up out of mediocrity and let us bring about our own Golden Age.
Alderman Simeon
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

of Darlington, England

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:03:00 am »

I agree with the conclusion, but I will note that I think goggles are uncomfortable and will thusly never wear them, however, there are some great magnifying lens attachments I plan on getting for my glasses, which are useful and appeal to the genre.

Like these?

Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.
Gearworks
Officer

Gravatar

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 11:09:15 am »

More like this:

Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 11:17:37 am »

Goggles? Uncomfortable? That just means you haven't found the right pair yet! >_Q

Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 12:58:54 pm »

or these?

oooooooooold pic.

I agree with Flynn. You just haven't found the right pair. Years and years ago, even back in my punk rock days, I used to wear goggles almost daily. At the time, they were slightly more modern, as my style was more 'cyberpunk' than anything I guess. They had a nice foam cushion on the inside of them and were the most comfortable thing in the world. I'd even forget I was wearing them half the time. BTW, goggles are a great hair accessory, too. If your hair is longish, as mine used to be (long and spiky), and is again becoming (wearing it down nowadays), they are great for keeping your hair out of the way...and they just plain look cool.

-~D~-
arkhamrefugee
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 02:48:52 pm »

...I will note that I think goggles are uncomfortable and will thusly never wear them, however, there are some great magnifying lens attachments I plan on getting for my glasses, which are useful and appeal to the genre.

The trope of "goggles as indicator of steampunk" is such an overused idea that it has almost become a joke around these parts. During research, I came across pictures of someone at a steampunk costume party who was supposed to be "steampunk" by the addition of a leather aviator's cap and goggles to her very modern slacks and blouse.  I appreciate that she was at least trying, but like I said, it seems to have reached truly silly proportions sometimes.

Kudos to you for trying to find some magnifying lens attachments for your glasses.  I was thinking of that as an acceptable substitute to goggles after I had written the piece.

-- Arkhamrefugee, author of the stuff we're talking about
Datamancer
Hero of The Realm
Zeppelin Captain

Gomi no sensei

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 03:59:04 pm »

Welcome!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule