The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 03:15:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one make a pair of Steampunk Goggles?  (Read 11017 times)
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:13 pm »

Heres mine if it offers any ideas. It's a little rough since it was my first ever mod project, and really its just a glorified hatband rather than wearable goggles.

It started out as a $10 pair of work goggles. I just painted the cheap yellow plastic silver and replaced all the rivets with brass screws and nuts from the hardware store. The 'rivets' around the eyepieces are nails that I cut down with a Dremel tool.
 I replaced the elastic strap with a vinyl one I found at a JoAnn Fabric store, where I also found an interesting latch. I also used bits of the strap folded in half lengthwise as padding around the lenses which I hotglued in place.

One of these days I'll replace the straps with real leather. If theres a Michael's craft store near you they have all sorts of cords, straps, scraps, etc for just a few dollars.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:31:58 pm by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

If all else fails, get a larger hammer

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2011, 10:41:02 pm »

The great thing about steampunk gadgets and goggles is that if hardware is exposed, it not only is acceptable, it is encouraged.

Adventure awaits
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 07:56:58 am »

I'm quite embarassed about that previous photo. Thankfully I've updated my pair a bit.

I ground down the raised bits on the lens frames and attached copper strips with cut off nailheads a couple of months ago. Then just last week I found those nice solid brass rings. Originally they were supporting the carrying strap on a cheap, nasty fake leather purse from Goodwill ($4!). The add a nice bit of heft to the piece.

Then over the weekend, Steamcon rolled around and I found this lovely little mountable magnifier. Unfortunately the single L bracket didn't allow me to place it in the position I wanted, so I whipped out a second one, and added a couple more screws. Now I can position it in nearly any angle. A bit of cheap gold plated chain as extra detail, and ta-da!

The pros may roll their eyes, but as a beginner I'm quite proud of them. Hopefully they'll provide an idea, or inspiration to someone.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:59:18 am by Herbert West » Logged
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »

Herbert, I would love to see your goggles but the pictures don't show up. Is there an updated link you could post?

Keeper of the Watchhouse at the Edge of the World

Come talk brewing with us over at The Brewers' Guild!
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 04:55:10 am »

Sorry bout that. My image host seems to have hit a bump this week. Redirecting.
Rev. Jade
Zeppelin Captain

Preacher of Ancient Ways, Captain of S.S. Mjöllnir

jadedhero1331
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 09:17:02 am »

Very nice! I love that they aren't over-the top, but the mounted magnifier makes them stand out. You seem to have found a good aesthetic balance (though the weight balance may be a bit off Wink).
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 07:27:24 pm »

none of them are particularly steamy, and after many sketches to the contrary i've decided that it's unlikely that i'll make changes to any of the three.

An easy way to "Steam" a pair of Large-bore Sunglasses is by taking a piece of leather from something ( I find the heel of a shoe the best because it's already curved ) and epoxy-ing to each side of the lens to fill the space between the lens and your cheek
Is "Epoxying" a word? Should it be?
Raynard F-F-Fox
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Hussar!

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2012, 09:37:54 pm »

Tongue
I have a good suggestion to anyone who is interested. if you go to any good DIY shop, then you can buy a pair of eye protective goggles. The modding possibilities are endless!  Kiss
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 01:46:23 am »

Tongue
I have a good suggestion to anyone who is interested. if you go to any good DIY shop, then you can buy a pair of eye protective goggles. The modding possibilities are endless!  Kiss

Exactly. Mine for example started out as a $10 pair of plastic work goggles molding in awful gold and black plastic. I've seen the same type nicely painted and decorated for sale at cons for $50-$60. As with most Steamy craft projects, its all about the modding.
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 03:11:56 pm »

[/quote]
you can buy old leather coats at a resale shop, to get material from. I found a thin fake leather at walmart, it was a distressed brown leather like on a bomber jacket. worked fine on one pair of goggles.

you can also get leather scrap bags at hobby lobby and other arts and crafts stores. they usually sell buckles and other pieces in the same isle too.
[/quote]

I just  found a dark brown sofa that was being tossed (spring clean-up) and jumped out of my Autokinetica removed most of the back with a sharp knife.  The arms and sides were  badly damaged, either by the owner's "Feline Domesticus" or a wild animal.  This may provide me with project materials for quite some time to come.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 03:13:40 pm by Jedediah Solomon » Logged
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2012, 07:45:30 am »

Nice find Jedediah.

Again, old Goodwill purses also provide scraps of leather for only a couple bucks.
architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:12 am »

I agree that starting from scratch is better, like these. (a pair I made a short while ago)

http://exctinction.hostei.com/images/DSC04965.jpg

ebon
Deck Hand
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

ebondage
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:17 pm »

There's a couple of good tutorials on Deviant Art for various types of goggles:

http://fenrisdesigns.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Goggles-A-Tutorial-91226763?q=favby%3Aedibility%2F52100007&qo=75

http://mtani.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Goggles-Tutorial-105778289?q=favby%3Aedibility%2F52100007&qo=71

http://crimson-shirou.deviantart.com/art/Steampunk-Goggles-Tutorial-251660887?q=favby%3Aedibility%2F52100007&qo=76

I'll be trying out the first one myself this weekend, I'll report back Cheesy

Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light...
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 07:21:29 am »

Those are quite nice.

I suspect in the real world you wouldn't see that many fancy goggles covered in gears and filigree. But just basic eye protection like these.
The Duck
Deck Hand

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 01:43:45 am »

Short time reader, first time poster, new to the Steampunk costuming but long time costumer.  Love what I've seen, can't wait to explore more. 

Anyhoo, I came across a pair of welding goggles at a flea market and got them for a steal!  They screamed Steampunk and, well, I was hooked.  I've started on one pair and am working on the other.  I think people have really given some great advice here and I hope you don't mind me putting my two cents in here. 

Here's what I have so far:

I started by painting the goggles with Oil Rubbed Bronze.  Then I used some gold rub-n-buff and hit the high points.  The metal was from Home Depot and the gears are from Joanne Fabric craft section.  The lense was broke on this side, so I decided to fill it in.  It still not finished, so you can see a lot of the glue, but I wanted to get a picture so I could show the person I was making it for.

I hope this inspires you and gives you some ideas too.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: