The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:51:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can a Pince-Nez be made "pinch-ier"?  (Read 2436 times)
Edweirdian
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:09:46 am »

Greetings; this is my first post, though I have stopped by in the past. I do hope that somebody here can help me with a small problem that I have encountered.

I recently purchased this pair of antique pince-nez:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have cleaned them up somewhat since receiving them, but have found that they are too "loose" to wear--they fall right off after a few moments. Does anybody know if there is a way to "tighten" the bridge yourself, without seeking the services of an optician?

Thank you very much, in advance, for any help.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:13:09 am by Edweirdian » Logged
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 04:14:17 am »

Bend it. Carefully. Or take it to the opticians and they should do it for free.
Edweirdian
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:43:24 am »

Thank you, sir; I suspected the solution would be along these lines.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:02:38 pm »

Wonderful pince nez sir.  I have a similar pair, except mine have smoked lenses.  Mine too are fairly loose and fall off after a few minutes when I try wearing them and walking at the same time!

But I'm loath to do anything that may damage them.

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Edweirdian
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:01:08 am »

Wonderful pince nez sir.  I have a similar pair, except mine have smoked lenses.  Mine too are fairly loose and fall off after a few minutes when I try wearing them and walking at the same time!

But I'm loath to do anything that may damage them.

(Actually, it's "Miss", but no worries; I realize the avatar is misleading  Smiley ).

I found your thread, and that is a lovely pair! I'd like to find a shaded pair as well. I had originally bought these to use as a prop, but realized they aren't prescription lenses, but low-magnification reading glasses.

I agree, I wouldn't advise attempting anything that might damage them. I considered purchasing some spirit gum and simply glueing them to my face when I wanted to wear them, but curiosity got the better of me today, and I took them apart (!) :
I took the opportunity to finish cleaning up all the separate pieces. Bending the bridge was no easy task--it's a really strong piece of metal. It's important that the "kink" on either side, above the screw holes, not take on too acute of an angle, so that the lenses are brought closer together when they're reassembled:
They stay on great. I've been wearing them all evening. I'm wearing them now.

Looking at the photos of yours, James, I wonder if you couldn't adjust them by just sliding the top ring--where the bridge passes through, on either lens--farther up the bridge? Maybe that would bring the nosepieces closer together, without having to bend the bridge at all.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:44:35 am by Edweirdian » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:23 pm »

Apologies for the mix-up in my earlier post  Embarrassed

I could try to move the lenses of course, but the problem really lies in the fact that they're of the folding variety and thus when folded the lenses move along the top ring. 

I could always perform surgery on my nose to make them fit better of course  Cheesy
Edweirdian
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:43:51 am »

Nonsense, you only need to wear them in public more often. The ensuing deluge of compliments will cause your head to swell, and the spectacles will fit fine.  Wink

Well, I just bought a shaded pair of my own, but they're not the folding type. I'd like to find some folding ones, though, and take a look at how the mechanism works.

I hope this isn't becoming an addiction.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:32 pm »

There's no real mechanism as such.  It's merely a flexible bridge and a pair of pins (one on each lens) to keep it folded.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: