The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 02:06:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tipping the velvet  (Read 2937 times)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« on: June 21, 2007, 06:50:53 am »

Victorian girls in love...*siiigh*It`s put me in chick-flick mode.It`s so cute...
"Please let them end up together!!!"*flails*

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
DSK
Gunner

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 07:04:01 am »

I love that show/movie/mini-series (I'm not sure what to call it) I thought it was so well made and such a bittersweet story~<3 ...although I really wasn't that fond of Kitty... at all. XD

It was apparently a book first though? Now I'm curious to go read that!

Unattended Children Will Be Given Expresso and A Free Kitten.
The Professor
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:29:59 pm »

I thought it was good. Loved the costumes.

Life is usually a self made maze, whose walls are fear and prejudice.
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 03:20:08 pm »

I'm very curius now... what is this?

You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.
Alderman Simeon
Snr. Officer

of Darlington, England

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:27:07 pm »

I'm very curius now... what is this?

A Victorian romp - I mean, drama series, shown on the BBC, featuring some dashed naughty little vixens.

Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:11:52 pm »

It started off as a book by Sarah Waters. She has made another one called Fingersmith which also takes place during that time. The show itself is okay, but rather unsubtle at times.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Von Effenger
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:08:06 pm »

I think somebody should have tidied up the bust on the lady on the right.  one sides seems to be an innie and the other seems to be an outie.

though, I do wish we could have some BBC goodness across the pond.  Everytime I go to the UK, I'm almost always stuck in front of the TV for hours. 
Miss E
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 06:57:01 pm »

I want to see that series SOOOOOOOOO bad! I love girl-girl love stories ESPECIALLY if they are set in the Victorian era. Plase tell me it has a hapy ending though. Every other movie I've seen or story I've read has ended either sadly or at best bittersweet.
DSK
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:00:20 pm »

though, I do wish we could have some BBC goodness across the pond.  Everytime I go to the UK, I'm almost always stuck in front of the TV for hours. 

If you get the channel Logo, you can see it here in the States. That's how I saw it. Smiley

And I'd say the ending was totally happy! But the progression to the end was REALLY quite an adventure.
Von Effenger
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:07:53 pm »

If you get the channel Logo, you can see it here in the States. That's how I saw it. Smiley

Cry  I don't have cable Television.  My life is barren of tv goodness
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 07:31:41 pm »

If you´re not that concerned with legality you can watch the series online as streaming video.
Emperor
Snr. Officer

Divine Wind

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 12:14:05 am »

I think somebody should have tidied up the bust on the lady on the right.

Now that'd be a good job.

"So what occupies your time good sir?"

"Why, I adjust the bosoms of womenfolk"

"And pray tell what qualifies one for such work?"

"A good eye, a steady hand, warm palms and stout undergarments"

Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread
Morluna
Officer

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 01:55:55 am »

O___________O

I need to see this posthaste!

I agree, that lady on the right's bosom bothers me as well. In various ways, lol.

Laura Vaughn
Events Coordinator, Webmistress and Seamstress; Outland Armour

Laurilye Hutchinson - Explosives Technician and Bombadier; HMS Amaranth
DSK
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 02:01:50 am »

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/show.do/1/2051

You can watch it as streaming video here. This site actually provides quite a bit of media to watch. Not sure about the legality of this place, but it looks alright?
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 06:44:10 am »

You can watch it as streaming video here. This site actually provides quite a bit of media to watch. Not sure about the legality of this place, but it looks alright?

That indeed is one of the best time wasting sights in the world. I've finished all of Dr. Who, My Name is Earl, and Mystery Science Theater 3000 already <.<
DSK
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 07:56:21 am »

That indeed is one of the best time wasting sights in the world. I've finished all of Dr. Who, My Name is Earl, and Mystery Science Theater 3000 already <.<

I've been hearing about Dr Who so much, so I checked out the first episode on TV-links.

...crazy living mannequins... that was awesome XD
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2007, 11:51:25 am »

Yes I do spend most of my waking hours on that site. However I´m pretty certain it is illegal. Hence why some of the show links disappear at times, when whoever was hosting gets caught.
Miss E
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2007, 04:07:03 am »

*hides in the corner* No, you vile link! You will not capture me in your terrible grasp and rob me of my social life again! *scrolls through various links* OOOOOo...is that new DeathNote? *succombs*

It is most definately illegal, mostly because to those of us without strong wills it can be slightly more addictive than crack cocaine.

Ari Covington
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 12:04:38 am »

The "Tipping the Velvet" mini-series started off okay, then got progressively worse, IMO.  The book is leaps and bounds better than the movie by *far* -- there truly is no comparison.  The book is a slow burn: lushly detailed, exquisitely erotic, everything a good lesbian love story should be.  The movie descends into farce far too often.  It actually angers me how bad the movie is in comparison to the book!

If you're looking for a lovingly recreated Victorian world, with a stellar romance to boot, please do yourself a tremendous favor and read "Tipping the Velvet".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: