The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 02:41:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Affected Provincial`s Companion  (Read 1999 times)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« on: June 21, 2007, 06:45:37 am »

Ah the joys of sidewalk shopping.Whilst having a stroll with my mum,we saw a pile of books aet out on a stoop.I find it such a pity that someone would leave out books. :(However it has led to me finding some odd books.
This is definately the best.I doubt you all will mind be posting up the interesting disclaimerlike stuff that was on a paper in the book.Prepare thyself!
Author:Lord Breaulove Swells Whimsy

"We all agree that modern life is filled with innumerable conveniences(cell phones,microwave popcorn,indoor plumbing)but have we simplified life so much that it has become banal?Do you find yourself pining for an age when t-shirts were not considered acceptable opera attire-a more refined time?Well pine no more,dear friend,
for THE AFFECTED PROVINCIAL`S COMPANION will show you how to transform ubiquity of of this modern life from an assembly line of mediocrity into an engine of beauty."

What is an "Affected Provincial"?
The Affected Provincial dabbles in "this and that" and it is in the spirit of the "gentleman amateur"that this book was written:a generous sensibility that celebrates the mind at play.His name encompasses the soul of this book:dandyism,aesthetics,natural studies,art,historical lore,literature,folk-science,and of course meticulously wrought tomfoolery.

Who is Whimsy?
Lord Whimsy is a gentleman who defies easy description.Both a noted dandy and a doyen of culture;this Affected Provincial has earned a loyal following through his published articles,readings,and public appearances,and packed cafes,bookstores and universities with his "You Lack My Refinement"tour.
When not defending the flower of civilization,he lives the life of a country squire to the leafy,rural hamlet of New Egypt,NJ.

What is a dandy?
Dandyism pertains to more than just the wearing of clothes-it is also a way of being,a philosophy.The dandy`s attire is but an outer expression of inner refinement -the delicate glass holding the finely crafted wine,if you will.The dandy is the focus of his own artistry;his dress,manner,speech,and mind are his palette.

Is a dandy the same thing as a metro sexual?
Metrosexual:Loves brand names(the louder,the better) Dandy:Cherishes subtlety & individuality
Metrosexual:Fascinated by celeb culture Dandy:Looks upon this with detached bemusement.The Zen of Dandyism is to embrace surface but in a contemplative,self-aware manner.

What will I learn from this book?
Whimsy will teach you to transcend the coarseness of daily life so as to avoid becoming coarse in turn.
Subject include:How to Become a bon vivant-Proper grooming of facial hair-The Power of Accessories
(how to wear cufflinks,detachable collards,pocket squares and boutonneries;what does the way you knot your necktie say about you?)-The perils of sportswear-What`s wrong with tighty whiteys?Nothing!-Low on cash,high on class?How to be a dandy on a budget-How to ride a highwheel-Self sefense for sissies,plus insightful essays,philosophical diagrams,whimsical charts,saucy poetry,amusing trifles,as well as a handy addendum of resources for those wishing to learn more about where to purchase their detachable collars
and pocketsquares.

THE AFFECTED PROVINCIAL`S COMPNION is sure to inspire you to transform yourself into a living work of art.Go on,you know you want to.

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
Ron Sonic
Deck Hand
Gentleman at Large

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:40:50 pm »

What an amazing title.

Probably should be standard issue here.

Ron

Mechanician and Electro-Musical Conjurer
Von Effenger
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 03:48:18 pm »

I adore this book!  I am purchasing it for my gentleman friend, in hopes that it will inspire him to be less of a grad student shut in.
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:32:14 pm »

I adore this book!  I am purchasing it for my gentleman friend, in hopes that it will inspire him to be less of a grad student shut in.
Ha.I found it laid on the street.Apparantly it`s an advance copy or some such.
CinnamonAndSpite
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 07:16:57 am »

And they sell it for reletively inexpensively on the Aetherweb store, Overstock.com!

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/The-Affected-Provincials-Companion/1983445/product.html?cid=80486&fp=F

And the official site:

http://www.lordwhimsy.com/companion/index.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 07:25:24 am by CinnamonAndSpite » Logged
zenmondo
Officer
United States United States

Gravatar

CodePoet

ZenMondo0
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 05:40:00 am »

Seems right up my alley, but I am not exactly a dandy.. more of a rough-around-the-edges-but-likes-wearing-waistcoats-y.

-=[KING of the Wyoming Steampunks]=-

Zen & The Art Of Steampunk
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 07:27:56 am »

Thank you, dear Ladies. I have ordered a copy of this tome in an attempt to say "harrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" less frequently....

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Gnome
Snr. Officer

Oneironaut Extraordinaire

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 08:52:34 am »

I feel this book needs a piratey companion piece... I could see an entire chapter being devoted to the proper methodology of buckling one's swashes...

If you insist on referring to yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if I start referring to you in the first.
SAVE THE AIR KRAKEN! Join the 11th Greenpeace Airborne division!
Radio Saturday
Officer

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 03:02:02 pm »

Having come here from the Dandyism.net forum, where Lord Whimsy is considered a fool and not really a dandy at all, I must say that I have never seen this book.

I give him credit as a graphic designer, though.  Grin

OBSCURE
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2190763/1/">Anapura</a>
<a href="http://www.radiosaturday.com">Radio Saturday Press</a>
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: