The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2019, 07:25:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans area Steamyness?  (Read 10587 times)
Sir Robert
Officer
United States United States

« on: January 08, 2010, 12:53:36 am »

Anyone?  Hello, hello...Is this thing on? Test, test.

Sir Robert, Soldier, Gentleman Adventurer, all around nice guy.
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:54:34 am »

Erm, I'm from the Lafayette general area?  Nice to see a Louisiana steampunk, I was afraid I was the only one down here!

"And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.  Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.  And we shall flow a river for to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.  In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:05 am »

And now there are two!

I was wondering if you Miss Collins would care to go to Mardi Gras and see the Krewe of Iris on Saturday the 13th of February?  Actually I believe that I may make that a general call for steampunks on it's own thread, or not, they will have to read to find this invitation.

Fat Tuesday is a zoo and is to be avoided at all costs.  Some parades can be fun, Iris is at 11AM and we could catch some Steampunk shopping afterwards in the French Quarter.  What I had in mind was to meet outside the city and take one van in and avoid some of the hassles.

Does this sound like fun?
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 05:42:27 am »

I would like to, but, unfortunately, I am a young lady, and as such, am not usually allowed to go on my own to a large city to meet with unfamiliar people.  This is not to cast aspersions upon you, please understand, but on humanity as it stands.   Undecided  If you're ever in my area, just send me a message, I'd love to meet you, or any other steampunks!
Erland Calwallader
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 05:36:49 am »

New Orleans is a great place for Steampunk. French Quarters and Audubon place are place I got to go when I was a kid. Dad was born in Hammond, LA. I still love strawberries. I thought the Zoo was awesome. <Hope Katrina did not get it.> Is there any conventions happening there? It only cost $ 46.00 on Amtrak from where I live. They said it was 9 hours and 38 mins. They lie. Freight get priority.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:38:20 am by Erland Calwallader » Logged
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 01:40:03 pm »

Katrina did a number on the East side of New Orleans, heavy wind damage, flood damage, and mold.  So what the wind did not blow away, and the floodwaters did not wash away the mold ruined.  For the most part East NO is uninhabited as it is uninhabitable.  Spooky to say the least, literally square miles of new apartment buildings and single family homes sit empty.  That being said, the old French Quarter and the nice Garden District (where the Audibon Zoo is) was almost un-scathed, un-controlled fires turned scattered buildings to ashes leaving others next door un-touched.  The population is a fraction of what it once was, exact numbers are hard to put your finger on, 100% in some neiborhoods, 0% in others, 50% overall, maybe?

So all of the historic New Orleans and the tourist traps are untouched. 

New Orleans is Jazz, Gothum, Gothic and Goth, lotsa Goths.  Here in NO us Steampunks would be considered just another brand of Goth.

Mechacon will be in NO this year. As well as Coastcon and Bablecon nearby.

Anyway I want to meet other Steam punks and I thought Mardi Gras would be a great time and place.
Erland Calwallader
Snr. Officer

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 03:37:41 pm »

Looks like July is the big month for you. Which convention has the best steampunk venue?

Last time I was there I got forced in to the exit lane before the bridge heading east on the main interstate. I ended up in that area. Scary! It is horrible for those people who lost everything. I got a neighbor here in Anniston AL who moved out of NO. They had enough of living below sea level.  

Thanks for the information.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 02:16:31 am »

Which is more Steamy? Well Bablecon in Baton Rouge had a Steampunk band called COG in 2009, very nice but Bablecon will be smaller this year as less people are expected so no band.
http://www.babelcon.org/

Mechacon was held in Lafayette, LA and had 3000 people show up last year but it's main thrust was anime but as a big con, you can expect a lot of everything.
http://www.mechacon.com/

Coastcon is small but also well rounded. Held in Biloxi,MS
http://www.coastcon.org/index.html

There are Cities with more Steampunks but I doubt if there is a more Steampunk City in North America.
Erland Calwallader
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 04:53:52 am »

The Big Easy is very is awesome. I do know from experience if you park you car in the French Quarter, write down the address or you lose the car. The streets looked so much alike. It is OK to laugh at me now. I can laugh now.
dabreegster
Officer

Eating from the small arcana of the frying pan

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 05:43:59 am »

I'm in the Baton Rouge area and travel a fair bit. Anybody interested in a meet-up anywhere soon?
Grimnr Veilwalker
Officer

To Protect the Light, We must use a DarkHammer!

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:35:24 pm »

I'm over near Fort Polk, and would love to have a meet-up. The problem I have are the days that I have available.

Grimnr Veilwalker
Dusza Beben
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »

I was going to say "It's ALL steamy!" I LOVE the French Quarter. Gas lamps ans cast iron = AWESOME.
Don't even get me started on the food...
I sincerely hope you find what you are looking for (and invite us down for a visit!).

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 01:45:17 am »

I'm free 2 out of 3 weekends and could flex that a little.
dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 04:27:21 pm »

Shall I set a date and see what transpires? We could shoot for the 23rd or 30th, unless one of you with tighter schedules enumerates on your available days. If we'd like to meet outside the Baton Rouge area, I'll have to work on getting permission to make the drive. Otherwise, I can offer a tour of a Civil War-era cemetery near LSU, Arsenal Park downtown with brilliant buildings and gardens, and Circa 1856 with its antique bliss. Let me know; my schedule's incredibly flexible.
dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 04:30:32 pm »

Erm, I'm from the Lafayette general area?  Nice to see a Louisiana steampunk, I was afraid I was the only one down here!
Sorry, forgot about your post, we could also meet in the Lafayette area if you can't travel. I've been there once for Mechacon and know some friends from the high school in that area. Do you know any good sites to explore? And which dates might be best for you?
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 01:27:34 am »

Well the Greater New Orleans Area League of SteamPunks had their first and probably last meeting today.

In attendance Dabreegster, Sir Robert and Kelli.  Afterwards there was much shopping in the French Quarter. 

See y'all at BabelCon.
quantumcat
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 03:31:11 am »

I doubt I'd be able to make it to NO from Tn. but I'd wager that any young people or others who might have qualms about meeting unknown individuals could find safe arrangements with appropriate group attendance and chaperones.

(That would make sense for anyone-even formidable grown-up males.)

A little advance planning could make such a meet-up safe and exhilarating.

Bringing friends or family along is no problem where intentions are honorable.

(The more,the merrier!)

When a soupcon of prudence and common sense is applied,being around unfamiliar people need not be uncomfortable or hazardous.

(Even being around VERY familiar people can be controlled so matters remain tolerable and congenial and avoid embarassing incidents.)

New Orleans,like any exciting city,will have its share of boring and unsavory types as well as the makings of a lifetime of happy memories.

Just take an open mind,good walking shoes,trusted companions/guides and tools analogous and/or including a silver hatpin to dispatch the squick and the dread.

This would be appropriate for any place,purpose or context- not just meeting on-line folk in a tourist city famous for the surreal,unseely and erotic.

Once  new friendships have been formed by these experiences and the groundwork that precedes them,future get-togethers can occur with less preparation and less uneasiness as the attendees will be better acquainted.
dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 05:54:05 am »

Well I had fun today. Jealous about the French Quarter shopping afterwards; maybe I'll be able to make NOLA later. If anybody new crops up in the area and desires a meeting, I'm available
sevenlies
Officer

Hier kommt der panzermensch!

sevenlies
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 05:17:48 pm »

Gah!  How come I hadn't seen this thread before now?  I've been looking for more Southeast Louisiana steampunk aficionados, and for a while there I thought I was the only one!

I'm always looking for more steampunk-themed events and outings.  I hope you have another meeting again soon - perhaps after the ruckus of Mardi Gras?  Maybe we could get together for tea?

Iphigenia P. Askew
Founding member of The Ladies Supernatural Exterminators Association - New Orleans Local no. 13

Seven lies multiplied by seven
Multiplied by seven again
Seven angels with seven trumpets
Send them home on the morning train
dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 06:02:54 pm »

I'm up for another meeting whenever. I'll probably be attending many parades in Baton Rouge, no New Orleans for me just yet.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 06:17:59 pm »

I'm up for another meeting whenever. I'll probably be attending many parades in Baton Rouge, no New Orleans for me just yet.

I typically do parades in NOLA the Sunday before Mardi Gras, and that's about it.  My husband has a couple of family members that ride in Thoth.
Grimnr Veilwalker
Officer

To Protect the Light, We must use a DarkHammer!

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 09:51:55 pm »

I wish I could have attended. but I need least 3 weeks notice before I can do anything...My mundane life intercedes way too much.
dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2010, 10:09:37 pm »

Well, it's nearly 3 weeks notice.. I'll be at the Southdowns parade Feb 12 and Spanishtown on the 13th. Either we can all set up a rendezvous, or you'll spot me walking around -- I'm not hard to miss
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »

What's the best day and time for everyone?  Saturdays, Sundays, etc.?

I'm almost always available Friday evenings through Sunday afternoons.  I work M-F 7-4:30 so weeknights are usually out (unless I have plenty of advance notice so I'm able to schedule off or go in late).  Smiley

dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2010, 10:23:43 pm »

I have a really open schedule, so somebody else pick. Smiley  I vote Saturdays around noon-3. Depending on where we're going, sometimes it's better to meet later in the evening though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: