The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 09:28:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book binding tutorial (the simple way)  (Read 9221 times)
Dorian Ambrose
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:12 pm »

Thank you so much for explaining in an easy way bookbinding! I've had a desire to give my hand at it, but wasn't sure where to start. What sort of paper do you recommend? I'd prefer something that would look old/worn while still being sturdy. Ultimatly what in thinking of making a "field book" for noting and sketching on (like a jungle botanist!)

For that purpose, I would use Linen/cotton paper. It is generally very crisp and strong and unlike regular cellulose based paper, it is almost unaffected by water.
This is the stuff used to print paper money and as most of us know, a banknote will easily survive a spin in the washer.
I would also advise the use of high quality pigment ink. Like the paper, it is almost entirely unaffected by water, so the combination should be perfect for outdoor use.

As an added protection, you can leave the overhanging cover material (pics 6, 7 & 8 in original post). Cut the corners as shown but do not fold them over or glue them down. Instead of gluing the first page to the cover as shown, glue one piece of fabric to both the first page and the cover and to the overhanging cover material.
When finished, this will give you little leather flaps on the sides of the book, that can be folded to cover the otherwise exposed edges of the pages.

I have done this myself and also seen it on a few notebooks of older date. It works great and looks good.

What kind of thread would be best to use?  What if I use thicker pages, like home-made/natural papers?

Any will do, really.
I would stay clear of the polyester/nylon/etc. types, as they tend to cut the paper more than natural fibers.

I like linen, but also have silk thread of various types. I am not a fan of cotton, since it is just not as strong as linen.
Silk would actually be a perfect choice for the field book mentioned above. It is strong and does not rot.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 02:55:00 pm »

Thank you, a thousand times thank you.

I've made some notebooks in the past and have been searching for a clear book binding tutorial for many a year now. T

his is exactly what I needed. I am forever in your debt.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2011, 05:49:10 pm »

Such a good tutorial, made one for LYM and it looks like it'll last a substantial amount of time! Cheesy

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Mahogany
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 12:58:09 am »

Just did my first attempt at making a book.

Here's a tip for everyone: Glue bleeds through fabric.

I used one of the heaviest fabrics I have but even that wasn't enough.  I ended up putting on another outter casing, not gluing the front and back, just the edges, and then glue down the first and last page - well, technically the second and second to last page, seeing how I already glued down the first and last page.  It worked!

Thank you again for posting this!  My auntie's going to love this. ^_^

Edit: Sorry, just remembered.  I tried putting five papers together at once, seeing no need to only have two together in one bundle.  Now I see the reason.  It comes out all sloppy with so many together.  I'm sure there are other ways of doing it to make it work, but yeah, in the future, I'm sticking to the two or three pages per bundle.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:16:20 am by Mahogany » Logged
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »

With 80gsm paper (your ordinary xerox/printer paper) pre-cut to A4 sheets, I usually stick to signatures comprised of 2-3 sheets folded to A6. Tends to work fine. Then again, having access to a proper trimming guillotine has its benefits.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
sweetieg_227
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 03:28:45 am »

And... Robin Hood: Men in Tights? That film is awesome.[/quote]

I agree! Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: