The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 07:13:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I make insects for other worlds like the Weta Workshop now does?  (Read 3477 times)
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 11:40:37 am »

Funnily enoughily, I have been giving this idea some consideration too, maduncle- Sculpy is great, and as well as being oven curable, it can also be hardened with a heat gun: sculpt your creature on a wooden stick (say a barbecue skewer- you do have barbecues in Oz, don't you? Wink), play the heat gun over it gently while rotating the sculpt. Using this method is a lot more controllable than trying to keep an eye on it in an oven!

You can also smooth Sculpy using surgical spirit and some other alcohol-based solvents, but not the best gin, please!

For smaller bits I'd use something like Milliput or Magicsculpt- these are two-part epoxy puttys, both have there merits.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Smiley

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 01:11:08 pm »

Actually - I have come one step closer to starting a wee beastie.

I picked up a glass eye in an antique shop, and I am thinking of sculpting a one eyed creature, sort of a cross between 'Bob' from Monsters versus Aliens - and the creature from 'Forbidden Planet'.

I will create a small upright slug-like ridged body with three tentacles at the flared base ending in talons.

Then mount the eye in the top (as long as I don't heat the sculpy with the eye stuck in it).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: