The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 09:48:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UV-sensitive chemicals which are invisible in normal light?  (Read 2491 times)
Anders
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

« on: December 08, 2009, 02:47:40 am »

As part of the project I am currently working on, I need to make a hidden symbol appear and glow on the surface of an object.  The possibility of UV-sensitive substances occurred to me.  I know there are chemicals which are invisible in normal light and glow when exposed to UV light, but are they available to the public at large? at a reasonable price?  How lasting would such a substance be?  What are my options for a UV light source?

I appreciate any and all contributions!
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 02:49:38 am »

Easiest thing is probably the security markers which is sold for invisibly marking valuables so you can prove ownership if they are lost of stolen and subsequently recovered. They are invisible normally but glow under UV. Given their intended purpose I would imagine they wold be reasonably long lasting.

http://www.amazon.com/Dri-Mark-UVL800B-Security-Marking/dp/B000E93LQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1260237036&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:52:00 am by Narsil » Logged

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Anders
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:55:39 am »

Thank you for the reply.

Wouldn't you know it, the minute I post a question here, my on-the-side Google search turns up something useful!  http://www.horrorseek.com/home/halloween/wolfstone/Lighting/bltmat_BlackLightMaterials.html

I guess I need to practice my Google-fu!  Still, if anyone else has comments, I would be more than happy to hear them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: