The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 04:00:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jules Jergensons woman's wrist watch? Harold some help please!  (Read 1411 times)
Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Bettering mankind through science and engineering!

« on: December 03, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »

Hey everyone!
So while looking through some old storage things i stumbled up this watch. As far as i can tell it is a Jules Jergenson's woman's wrist watch ( i say this because it seems a tad small but as I have learned they can be smaller size and still be a mens. It's a 14k gold case and band and well that's about all i can tell. It still runs but the crystal is a bit scratched up. The clasp says Kessler 14k

Any info would be grand as it has 4 holes on the rear case that are something I am afraid to try and use to remove it.

Anywho onto pics, sorry for the blurriness my camera sometimes hates me...lol:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the rear with the 4 holes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks in advance!

Tag
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:31:56 pm by Prof. Albrecht Von Taggërt » Logged

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:36:27 am »

That's an older Jules, 1940/s50s, probably, in what was either a ladies or more likely from the styling a "boys" size. Without seeing the watch, I'd make a guess that its probably an A.Schild movement.
Not 100% sure from the pics, but the holes most likely are the holes for a case wrench.

Nice little watch!

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:25:03 am »

Thanks Harold!
Now without a case wrench would it a bad idea to attempt to open her AND is the glowing stuff on the numbers/ dials Radium?

Are the crystals on these hard to find /expensive? Also it seems to me the crown is bent a touch but spins freely and still winds ok is this going to be a issue?

thanks again!

Tag
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 03:34:12 am »

Its likely radium, but I don;t see any of the telltale discoloration of the dial surrounding the numerals that screams "RADIUM!"..
If the crystal is acrylic, and not glass, you can always use the old Brasso and a soft cloth trick to try and polish out some of the scratches.
I'd recommend not opening it without proper tools, ALTHOUGH (DANGER WILL ROBINSON!) I have opened cases in a pinch with a pair of small round nose pliers, (holding the opened  pliers perpendicular to the case back, with the tips in the holes, and gently turning).. However, that;s NOT the recommended technique  Grin
As far as the crown, if it winds and sets, leave it as it is, or have it looked after professionally..

Cheers
Harold

Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:41:06 am »

Ok good things to know thanks Harold!
If i manage to get it to a watch professional I will have him jot down the numbers inside. Give us a better idea what we have.

Are these watches valuable? I mean besides it being old and 14k gold (filled i assume?)

Thanks Again!

Tag
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: