The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 01:43:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I strip it or Steampunk it? - WIP  (Read 4966 times)
Artorius
Officer
United States United States

Gentleman of Opportunity

« on: December 03, 2009, 05:05:20 am »

Got this for $5 at a Pawn Shop today. The guy had it in the back and brought it out when I asked about old broken clocks or typewriters.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was marked $20 but it stopped working so he gave it to me for $5.

I opened it up and was greeted by a veritable bounty of large brass gears.

Still up in the air as to wether I cannibalize it for parts or dress it up. I got it working again after a good cleaning and greasing.
It seems to be keeping time and strikes every hour. Once every 30 minutes too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:36:39 am by Artorius » Logged

The Right and Honorable Lord Mnkeeboy, Chief Jester to The King and Plotter of Evil Machiavellian Plots, Puller of Strings, Dastardly Abuser of Love, Hypnotizer of Truth and Whose True Power remains Hidden by a Position of Seeming Inconsequence.

Off-The-Grid
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:19:04 am »

I don't know much about clocks but I'd say dress it up. It has potential.

http://foucaultsbuilder.wordpress.com
"That was when I saw the Pendulum.
The sphere, hanging from a long wire set into the ceiling of the choir, swayed back and forth with isochronal majesty." Foucault's Pendulum
Capt. Stockings
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 05:23:57 am »

I'd say to keep it as is. If you have to do something to it, I'd say to  steampunk it rather than taking it apart.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 06:23:34 am »

It looks very nice as is but steampunking it would be even better. Can you remove the background to reveal the inner cogs?

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 08:27:43 am »

Is it keeping good time? If so keep it and dress it up.

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 12:10:44 pm »

I'll add my voice to those who vote "If it works as a clock, use it as a clock." And depending on the setting, it might not need much to make it Steampunk.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 04:24:58 pm »

I can see a logo over the time winding stem but can't make it out.  Knowing the maker might help date the clock and/or determine if it has any value as an antique.

I always prefer keeping as a clock if possible, whether there is antique value or not.  Steampunk aspires to a neo-Victorian look and feel, right?  That clock would fit in a Victorian household perfectly.  It adds to the atmosphere without any mods if you are looking for a steamy room.
Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 04:34:01 pm »

Well it lost about a half hour overnight. I'll try to make out the makers mark and see who it is and see if I can adjust it. It's definitely a garage built or a very small factory. It really does look awesome just sitting on the workbench with the face off.
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 05:37:18 pm »

Looks like there is an adjustment nut so you can shorten the pendulum to speed it up and rate it properly.  Without a clock timing device or program it can take a few days to get it rated perfectly.
sebastian Inkerman
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

scrounger and builder of mildly interesting stuff.

S_Inkerman
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 05:51:22 pm »

I'd have to say that it indeed a great find. Lovely clock. Keep it as is. See if you can find out anything about it. Some of the rarest antiques come from junk shops.

Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 05:56:53 pm »

I second that...it's a nice looking clock...it would make a great clock as it is!

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 06:11:25 pm »

If you can fix it, great, rock out with that.

But a clock that can't keep time is useless, and I for one say strip it without remorse, as you would salvage organs from even the most beautiful donor.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Alptraum
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 02:14:51 am »

If you can fix it, great, rock out with that.

But a clock that can't keep time is useless, and I for one say strip it without remorse, as you would salvage organs from even the most beautiful donor.

Well put.

I reckon that if you can get it working you could completely skeletonize the faceplates - then maybe cut away the middles of the gears, leaving 3 or 4 curved spokes... Maybe engrave it with some patterns of some sort.. Stuff like that.
I envy you for that find..
Pnakotus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 06:38:55 pm »

I add my vote for the keeping it as a clock since you got it working again.
Just because it doesn't keep accurate track of our standard time doesn't necessarily make it useless. Wink Maybe it's a clock from Alice's Wonderland, or some other strange locale. If it works, I'd keep it as a clock even if it's hours were only 53 standard minutes in length and consisting of 76 rotations of the minute hand and ran backwards. It just shows that you like to travel a lot and bring back interesting trinkets from your journeys. Who else do you know that has a clock that keeps Wonderland time? Plus, it's bound to be a source of confusion for guests at some point. Hail Eris!

"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."
Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 12:08:47 am »

OK a clock it shall remain. A piece came to me today that needs to have a clock inserted into it. I just happen to know of a clock that needs inserting into something. =) Mwhaaaaaaa haaahhhaahhaaaa
Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 05:26:20 pm »

After disassembly I was able to find the Makers mark.

Turns out this is a New Haven, 8-Day Mantle clock and is at least 50 years old as the company was sold off in bankruptcy court in 1960 after a long and colorful history.

It's already mounted in it's new home but there's a lot of work still to come.
Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 05:37:17 am »

Sneak Peek

Alptraum
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 08:54:41 am »

*slobber*
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 10:39:07 am »

Bravo Sir! What a splendid re-housing for an old timepiece!

I sincerely hope I am not teaching Grandmama to suck eggs, but, If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion or two...?

...I got it working again after a good cleaning and greasing.

Primus: Did you use clock/watch oil for the lubrication? If not, the movement will almost certainly cease to function in the not-too-distant future. If it's not too late I would suggest soaking the movement in paraffin (kerosene) for a few days to remove any old claggy oil and, after allowing it to dry, judiciously lubricating it with the correct oils. Incorrect oiling/greasing is a major cause of Clock Death Syndrome - just ask your local watchmaker.

Secundus: If you're interested, I have a procedure for correcting the timing of pendulum clocks, which gives reasonable accuracy after one week.

Just before Christmas I picked up a very poorly 30 day wall clock at a car boot sale for £5. After a moderate overhaul it is now working again and sitting in my study waiting to be rehoused in a nice new shiny steampunk casing, although only the Lord knows when I'll have the time for that.

You're never alone with a good clock. There's just something so comforting about the solid, measured tick.. tock.. tick.. tock.. always in the background.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Phineas Baker
Swab

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 10:49:52 am »

ooh, shiny..... Smiley

Dammit I am paying you so just do what I bloody well ask of you......
GigerPunk
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 02:02:25 am »

You're never alone with a good clock. There's just something so comforting about the solid, measured tick.. tock.. tick.. tock.. always in the background.
Quite so, they're just so homely aren't they? What does it matter if they actually tell the time accurately as well? They're a nice ornament as is and going back to the OP, I would've been chuffed to bits to pick up that clock, working or otherwise, for the original $20 pricetag so congrats on that find! (and nice work so far too, glad you didn't gut it)

The loudest sound in the universe is the last heartbeat...
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2010, 10:08:52 pm »

it has quite a lot of potential

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
Artorius
Officer

Gentleman of Opportunity

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2010, 05:43:06 am »

Thx for the moral support!

I did do a bit of research on clock movements, I love the internet  Cool

I soaked it in a "green clean" solution for brass and used a good clock gear lube kit. It had a decent layout of what to do and where to do it. It was really hard not to tear into it and re-purpose those beautiful gears though!

It will definitely live again. I got a little time with it tonight and made some progress. Coming along swimmingly.

I'm actually starting to be able to grasp things with my right hand again. Still gotta use my left hand to cut off nail heads lol.
But it's healing. Gotta work on the motorcycle tomorrow then back to the clock after the weekend.

Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 08:39:07 am »

I soaked it in a "green clean" solution for brass and used a good clock gear lube kit. It had a decent layout of what to do and where to do it.

Most excellent! I still have a movement that is soaking to remove what appears to be an amalgam of loctite and tar, but was probably machine oil/grease at one time.  Undecided

It was really hard not to tear into it and re-purpose those beautiful gears though! It will definitely live again.

Thank goodness you resisted the temptation to gut it. I am really looking forward to seeing the finished work.

Clocks have wheels, pinions, staffs, shafts, barrels and whatnot, by the way. No gears.

Grin
SteampunkAviatrix
Swab

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 02:02:59 am »

I would have to say... Strip it. Instead of having a single clock you can make so many other things with the wonderful gears in there!! I do not have much experience with steampunk (mind you, I'm 13) but this is a brilliant clock with wonderful inner workings!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: