The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 09:36:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 145008 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2425 on: June 23, 2016, 05:32:24 pm »

I suppose one could argue that it doesn't look like a real weapon because no real weapon looks like it - as nerf guns and fantasy guns are not replicas of working firearms.

(By the way, Mme Ratchet, my commiserations on your job situation, which I hope will improve soon.)

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2426 on: June 23, 2016, 05:45:03 pm »

It's just incredibly vague and could be readily abused by the people doing the prop check-in.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2427 on: June 24, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »

I have exciting news! There is planned to be a change in US DOD policy that will allow openly transgender individuals to enlist. Depending on how the policy is written, I may be enlisting in the near future.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2428 on: June 25, 2016, 02:39:13 am »

I have exciting news! There is planned to be a change in US DOD policy that will allow openly transgender individuals to enlist. Depending on how the policy is written, I may be enlisting in the near future.

It's certainly good news. Here's hoping that this progress never gets reversed, seeing how the latest global trend is to elect intolerant people to office  Roll Eyes But I doubt such new rules would ever be reversed. This brings the US armed forces closer to the forefront of progress in the international arena.

I wonder if there would ever be special units such as what I've devised for my fictitious Luftschiffengel.

PS. I didn't know you had military inclinations. Did you serve before? And here is hoping you are doing well in the employment arena.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:10:01 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2429 on: June 25, 2016, 04:33:36 am »

I've wanted to enlist ever since I was little. I grew up in a military family. I have had ancestors serve in every generation back to the Civil War. Both of my step-brothers are in, my dad was in, my mom was in, my step-dad was in. I've always wanted to enlist, and haven't been able to.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2430 on: June 25, 2016, 07:18:39 am »

I've wanted to enlist ever since I was little. I grew up in a military family. I have had ancestors serve in every generation back to the Civil War. Both of my step-brothers are in, my dad was in, my mom was in, my step-dad was in. I've always wanted to enlist, and haven't been able to.

Perhaps you should read this below. it seems that it's been brewing up for some time, in no small part due to the support from President Obama given to, and the influence from, Eric Fanning, the current Secretary of the Army, and the highest ranking openly-gay member of the Department of Defense. His resume is impressive considering that he only has a BA in History from Dartmouth College, and thereafter he then jumped into a life of politics becoming a multiple-times under/secretary of various armed services branches, including the Navy, Army and Air Force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Fanning

And more news on the subject:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36628288

Estimates by the National Center for Transgender Equality say up to 15,000 transgender people serve in the US military.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:23:19 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2431 on: June 25, 2016, 05:13:14 pm »

Yeah, I've been following it for close to 2 years. I'm familiar with the guy Smiley
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2432 on: June 26, 2016, 04:20:35 am »

[Mod Hat]

Changing the subject a bit, I've noticed that the thread is in it's last two or three pages. After reaching Page 100. it falls on me to close this thread and start a new one.

[/Mod Hat]

I was wondering how we would do this transition. While the easiest thing to so is to just start a new one and go about as if the last one didn't exist, I feel that some of us would be lost in the process. Perhaps some sort or roll call at the start of the new thread? A "re-introduction" roll call?

I know on my personal side that the Luftschiffengel project will certainly continue after page 100, even if I assume that the costume will be "finished" very soon, I doubt I'll wrap it up in two pages.

Eventually (sooner sometime this year, rather than later) I plan to move the costume segment of the Luftschiffengel to Anatomical, once I'm satisfied thet the costume is ready (as well as my photographic skills and equipment of which there is very little).

The background story on the character is reaching critical mass, I think and it's complicated enough that it is capable of spontaneously starting plot lines for each of the characters I create. But I doubt the project will move out completely from the Queer Geer....There may be a start of a novel in the Textual section, I don't know yet. But the academic discussion on the novel may be expounded here because it may involve more on the historical theory on the Engelfolk as European "third gender." An alternate historical account of sexuality in the Western world.

Anyhow, I'll have to add links to posts in the old thread, and perhaps re-post pictures as well.

Does anyone have a similar continuity conundrum? Any ideas?
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2433 on: June 27, 2016, 04:03:00 am »

I would say do introductions, then just pick up wherever we left off?
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2434 on: June 27, 2016, 04:29:23 am »

I figure an introduction page is is order. I just realized there is no such thing as a repository for old threads like we have in Off Topic. Probably because old threads are not erasd as quickly as we do Off-Topic.  But I would still "rescue" any material (links, photos, etc.) that you may wish to keep, because the material will be lost eventually (if nothing else, becuase media servers such as instagram/twit pic, etc. don't hold images forever). So I'd just close the thread and keep it in the list of clubs (?).
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2435 on: June 27, 2016, 04:51:07 am »

A really interesting development I just read on the BBC:

"Pope Francis says Church should apologise to gays"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36636845

He told reporters that the Church had no right to judge the gay community, and should show them respect.

*snip*

But some conservative Catholics have criticised him for making comments they say are ambiguous about sexual morality.

Speaking to reporters on his plane returning from Armenia, the Pope said: "I will repeat what the catechism of the Church says, that they [homosexuals] should not be discriminated against, that they should be respected, accompanied pastorally."

*snip*

"I think that the Church not only should apologise... to a gay person whom it offended but it must also apologise to the poor as well, to the women who have been exploited... *snip*"

In 2013, Pope Francis reaffirmed the Roman Catholic Church's position that homosexual acts were sinful, but homosexual orientation was not.

"If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge?" he said then.

That last orange highlighted sentence is important for my story on the Luftschiffengel, because I had heard it before. Of course it's wrong to condemn the (natural) behaviour that follows from someone's sexual orientation, so I'm not exonerating the Catholic (or any other) Church.  However, you see, that is the theoretical basis I'm using for the fictional origin of the Engelfolk in Greater Germany.

The Catholic Church would evaluate the Germanic "Third Gender" to be acceptable within the catechism of the church, but still in need of curtailing according to Biblical tradition (hence the vow of celibacy)...
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2436 on: June 27, 2016, 06:14:07 am »

You keep mentioning this Luftshiffingel thing. What is it?
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2437 on: June 27, 2016, 07:29:53 am »

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you might not be aware (I thought you had kept up with the thread), although I did write about it, in detail, in a "wall of text" in another thread you posted in the Textual segment:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47892.msg968580.html#msg968580

Perhaps the "wall" was too tall?  Cheesy I have a more brief explanation in the second spoiler below. The Luftschiffengel (German for "Airship Angel") is a type of Steampunk character I invented as a consequence of me coming out in the Queer Geer thread. A second alter-ego of sorts.

~~~

How the character came about:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Brief decription of the Luftschiffengel. The last explanation I gave Nephele is the most concise and up to date of all, I think:

~ ~ ~

Hopefully this explains my madness Cheesy

Cheers  

JW

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:28:47 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2438 on: June 27, 2016, 10:10:59 am »

I figure an introduction page is is order. I just realized there is no such thing as a repository for old threads like we have in Off Topic. Probably because old threads are not erasd as quickly as we do Off-Topic.  But I would still "rescue" any material (links, photos, etc.) that you may wish to keep, because the material will be lost eventually (if nothing else, becuase media servers such as instagram/twit pic, etc. don't hold images forever). So I'd just close the thread and keep it in the list of clubs (?).

You could rename it 'The Queer Geer is still here...'
It might be nice to sub-head it for LGBT and supporters  (I came into the room originally because my husband is TV).
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2439 on: June 27, 2016, 10:38:30 am »

You could rename it 'The Queer Geer is still here...'
It might be nice to sub-head it for LGBT and supporters  (I came into the room originally because my husband is TV).

I guess we'll have to choose that title carefully - we have a limited number of characters.  I thing the LGBQT+ acronym should be in the title. We can just say this is the "Queer Geer Mk. II" to save space in the title line.

Is your husband in Brassgoggles? A Steampunk?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2440 on: June 27, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »

He is a steampunk, although not quite as enthusiastically as I am, and has outfits for both male and femme mode, but is mostly 21st century when dressed and wears 4 inch heels as a matter of course!  I can't manage more than 2 inches!
He's not in Brassgoggles although I have told him what a lovely lot you all are.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2441 on: June 28, 2016, 12:03:43 am »

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you might not be aware (I thought you had kept up with the thread), although I did write about it, in detail, in a "wall of text" in another thread you posted in the Textual segment:

Perhaps the "wall" was too tall?  Cheesy I have a more brief explanation in the second spoiler below. The Luftschiffengel (German for "Airship Angel") is a type of Steampunk character I invented as a consequence of me coming out in the Queer Geer thread. A second alter-ego of sorts.

~~~

Brief decription of the Luftschiffengel. The last explanation I gave Nephele is the most concise and up to date of all, I think:

~ ~ ~

Cheers  

JW

Considering my many long-spanning absences, I have not kept up with the thread very much. And your many walls of text can be rather intimidating, so I often skim or skip altogether, for sake of brevity.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2442 on: June 28, 2016, 12:45:35 am »

~~~

~ ~ ~

Cheers  

JW

Considering my many long-spanning absences, I have not kept up with the thread very much. And your many walls of text can be rather intimidating, so I often skim or skip altogether, for sake of brevity.

Walls of text are a common malady among amateur historians.   Grin

He is a steampunk, although not quite as enthusiastically as I am, and has outfits for both male and femme mode, but is mostly 21st century when dressed and wears 4 inch heels as a matter of course!  I can't manage more than 2 inches!
He's not in Brassgoggles although I have told him what a lovely lot you all are.

Ah! Ankle breakers, I see!  Well tell him he is welcome to join the party.  I'm glad to see there are female partners who who support their husbands' gender expression. Gives me hope I'll find my own partner some day.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2443 on: June 28, 2016, 01:52:27 am »

It's true, it is a common affliction among most of us. I think I am among the few who are not afflicted with the horrible gift of writing huge amounts in one sitting.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2444 on: June 29, 2016, 02:38:17 pm »

Gives me hope I'll find my own partner some day.

Never give up hope of that my dear.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2445 on: July 01, 2016, 05:47:03 pm »

Indeed - you never know what's around the corner (you just have to hope it's something nice...)

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2446 on: July 01, 2016, 07:50:24 pm »

Indeed - you never know what's around the corner (you just have to hope it's something nice...)

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you dear Cora and Miranda! I just have to  keep being positive.

In other news, the corset just arrived (squee!   Grin)! The colour is as I imagined a pinkish-brown beige (I think there's a name for that colour based on a fruit?). I think it's going to look nice. I'll take a good look at it after my work shift today

Today also received an accessory for my Luftschiffengel. A folding hunting knife. I know how we collectively feel about arms in this forum,  but because I have to close our shop 6 days a week  and handle money, often alone, my roommate trained me and gave me a folding hunting knife I carry every day (and often on my 5 mile walk to work). I only paid 8 to a site on Sweden, and I got an incredibly high quality product.

It's larger and heavier than I imagined. But it's the perfect "teeth" for this little airship angel!   Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:57:51 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2447 on: July 01, 2016, 07:53:35 pm »

Oh. And did I mention that I purchased the boots? The knife matches the boots, of course. First rule of accessorising.  Grin coming next Thursday!  Wink

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:01:27 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2448 on: July 01, 2016, 11:15:52 pm »

Oh. And did I mention that I purchased the boots? The knife matches the boots, of course. First rule of accessorising.  Grin coming next Thursday!  Wink

Ooh, good choice - I think those will work really well with the outfit.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2449 on: July 02, 2016, 04:45:33 pm »

It sounds as if this look is really coming together now.  I think half the fun of any outfit is the planning - the other half is the wearing and the compliments. (Yes, there will be compliments).
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: