The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:38:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 144691 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2400 on: June 07, 2016, 09:18:55 am »

That outfit is going to look really cute.

Have you thought of something like a silk scarf worn as a cravat around the neck to introduce the brown that you're looking for? Maybe you could find one with several shades in it - charity shops are a great source of 'silk' scarves at reasonable prices, in England at least.

That is a good suggestion, and it is consistent with the theme. No reason why a scarf or cravat couldn't be used. What is shown above in the "virtual model" photo is the "landing party" service uniform for warm weather, but it is reasonable that some flight uniform elements would translate into the landing uniform, if for no other reason that it would be traditional "fashion" for these service people.

There will be a need to have several service uniforms, one of which will be a "flight suit" because the Luftschiffengel have to go outside with oxygen masks to perform repairs at up to 30 000 ft of altitude.  A variation on an aviator's outfit, including a cap will be required, and if sufficiently high, even a pressure suit will be needed for the higher altitudes, so think of a WWI aviator suit as a model. Naturally scarves will come into the picture, and could easily be incorporated into the landing party uniform.

This is the problem to tackle; above 14000 ft of altitude you should not be outside without an oxygen mask and significant protection from the elements. The USAS Orca is designed to fly up to 30 000 ft.

Temperature vs, altitude, assuming a surface temperature of 59° degrees Fahrenheit.

Altitude (feet)         Temp (°F)         Temp (°C)
5,000                       41.17                5
10,000                     23.36                -5
15,000                     5.55                 -15
20,000                   -12.26                -24.5
25,000                   -30.05                -34.5
30,000                   -47.83                -44.3

~ ~ ~

Actually, the brown boots I ordered from China arrived today (pictures will follow soon)!!!

It's been a rollercoaster, because, briefly, I thought this order in the mail was a "bust." So far I've had good luck with my orders from China (better than domestic orders!). I was afraid that the boots would not be big enough, when I first unpacked them.

After trying them on, I found they are big enough, but just barely, and I can't wear many layers or thick socks the way you would do with real hiking boots. There is a huge difference in the fit of the shoes with or without socks, actually, which took me a bit by surprise. I can't get a bigger size of boot, because for most manufacturers selling *anywhere* that is the absolute biggest women's size they make (26.5 cm  which is Size 10.5 US / 8 UK / 43 Eur). So I got lucky and *barely* fit into their largest size  Undecided  But I'm not complaining, at least I get to wear them.It was really hard finding this pair as it is.

It may come to pass that these boots are mainly for show and photographs, but as far as actually going in a Steampunk outing or miles long stroll (as we've done in the past), I may have to get flat heeled, men's boots that are similar in colour. It should be easy enough to find.

I've spent a couple of hours looking at socks/colour combinations with the shoes. It will take a bit of work to get used to heels  Cheesy Grin . I think black long socks with brown gaiters would look best. Somehow Chocolate thigh highs don't work as well as I would have wished, mainly because of the transition between the ankle boot and the sock - it really needs those "gaiters" to look good.

My socks at present are way too long to be practical. What I have are thick sweater-like knitted thigh-high socks in the exact milk-chocolate brown colour of the calf-high socks/gaiters shown in the picture above. I also have battle-gray, and emerald green. But The problem is that my socks at present are so long that even as thigh highs I have to cuff them. At 40 inches long (unstretched), when I wear them, they go all the way up when worn (they're designed to be that way).

So I need shorter socks, like mid-thigh or over the knee socks to match the photo (I wasn't expecting that - I guess I have short legs  Cheesy), and probably I will reproduce that exact look in the photo, but with the addition of "industrial strength" black garters  ie long black mid-thigh socks held by garters and short brown "gaiters" socks. The garters are an absolute necessity as these socks will not stay up for any measurable amount of time while walking.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:57:12 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2401 on: June 07, 2016, 09:40:01 am »

Oh my Lord! They have actual Lederhosen suspenders/braces sold separately!

http://www.germanimporthaus.com/mens-clothing/suspenders/brown-suspenders-special.html

https://www.ernstlicht.com/15-men-clothing/136-men-s-suspenders/stag-replica-suspenders.html

A primitive idea for the Luftschiffengel (Airship Angel) outfit for the United States Personnel. It's unclear what kind of German livery the US Govt. would allow, especially after fighting a war against Austria. So you have to assume the use of American livery with US coat of arms, and the letters "US" in various places, plus the Engineer Corps' Castle insignia, and the personnel being referred to as Airship Angel as opposed to Luftschiffengel:

United States Engineer Corp. M1879 Airship Angel Landing Party Uniform

With 1879 being the Reconstruction Era, now I guess I should come up with the original 1871 (alteranate extended Civil War) Austrian/Confederate States Luftschiffengel Landing Party Uniform  Cheesy  Somehow, I suspect it would be gray  Grin  Perhaps with the original Bavarian / Austrian local coat of arms, and a belt buckle with the letters "CS"  Grin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:13:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2402 on: June 07, 2016, 08:11:38 pm »

Some interesting factoids about the US Civil War : apparently the average height of a soldier was 5ft 8in so shorter than me.  These were not tall people. But the other interesting fact is the national origin of the soldiers.  The troops were dominated by people from Germany (35%) and Ireland (30%),  above any other ethnic group.

This in a way justifies my plot for my characters. There would be some German speaking combatants in the battlefield. What I'm planning is to have Capt. Wilhelm as a German migrant take over CSAA Alamo,  and capture the crew.  Among them would be these Austrian Crew members.  Perhaps Wilhelm could be a Pre - Diaspora German Engelfolk him/zimself. That would prompt zim to approach and rescue the Luftschiffengel in the crew.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2403 on: June 10, 2016, 06:17:44 pm »

Oh my Lord! They have actual Lederhosen suspenders/braces sold separately!

(Snip)

They do look good with the outfit.

(Snip)

After trying them on, I found they are big enough, but just barely, and I can't wear many layers or thick socks the way you would do with real hiking boots. There is a huge difference in the fit of the shoes with or without socks, actually, which took me a bit by surprise. I can't get a bigger size of boot, because for most manufacturers selling *anywhere* that is the absolute biggest women's size they make (26.5 cm  which is Size 10.5 US / 8 UK / 43 Eur). So I got lucky and *barely* fit into their largest size  Undecided  But I'm not complaining, at least I get to wear them.It was really hard finding this pair as it is.

(Snip)

With a bit of wear they will hopefully loosen up an bit for more of a comfy fit. For a given size, width for women's shoes tends to be less that that for mens, so they are bound to pinch at first.

(Snip)

I've spent a couple of hours looking at socks/colour combinations with the shoes. It will take a bit of work to get used to heels  Cheesy Grin .

(Snip)

After enough practice wear you'll find the nerves in your feet die off and after that things are a lot easier  Cheesy

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:19:48 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2404 on: June 11, 2016, 02:28:02 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After enough practice wear you'll find the nerves in your feet die off and after that things are a lot easier  Cheesy

Yours,
Miranda.

Umm... I think I'd like to keep my nerves,  thank you.   Cheesy  The shoes are not that tight.  Without socks the are passable. But frequent / heavy duty wear is questionable.

The outfit above is just a rough draft. I've learned my lesson not to insist on a very particular garment,  and instead allow myself to be inspired from what is available at the time, in a zen manner. As it is, the ensemble is looking looking a lot closer to the original concept than I thought I'd get just a couple of months ago.   I'm just waiting for the blouse to come next. At the moment, it's taking its sweet time visiting Chicago (say She-caah-go! ) ,  apparently. The other items are in queue at  the airport in China.

This all is prompting me to continue writing the history behind Admiral Wilhelm, and the so far unnamed Engel (I need to work a new name! ). I see Wilhelm as the Bavarian-born US naturalized son of Austrian/Bavarian immigrants in Texas,  as a child right after Texas is annexed into the US. That would still give him enough time to grow up and join the US Union forces.

But Wilhelm would be conflicted by multiple demons, the conflict between Prussia and Austria, the secession movement in the Southern United States, when Austria begins to align with the Confederate States and Prussia with the United States (see spoiler below for further historical details). In the antebellum period, his father was an Austrian Engelfolk zim/himself, and his mother was a Bavarian. They fled Bavaria due to the forces of intolerance,  and later from Austria to America to escape the war,  but the war seems to follow them everywhere, to make things interesting.  Against his parents wishes, he leaves Texas and joins the military Academy.  Would West Point be a good choice? That is still the South,  but just a stone throw away from the North.

Then the Civil War breaks and his Austrian parents are forced to flee into French-invaded Mexico because the father is an Austrian national with military secrets (Luftschiffengel), and the family feels threatened by Prussia's alliance with the US. Mexican Emperor Maximilian is Austrian, so Wilhelm knows his parents will be alright in Mexico for the moment, but as a US officer he is left with no communication with his parents. Having to cooperate with Prussian military, during the war really doesn't sit well with Wilhelm either,  and so he endeavours to win the war, so as to rescue his parents. And so I'm starting to develop the plot for Wilhelm's life.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 02:45:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2405 on: June 13, 2016, 01:16:51 pm »

All my love thoughts and tears go out to those involved in the attack on the Pulse club in Orlando

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2406 on: June 13, 2016, 06:16:11 pm »

All my love thoughts and tears go out to those involved in the attack on the Pulse club in Orlando

Great minds think alike. I came to post very much the same message.

My heart is with everyone effected directly and indirectly, I cannot imagine your pain or your strength. My love also goes out to LGBTQIA+ folk around the world, including Muslim members of the community who may be feeling doubly vulnerable today.

Stay safe everyone and love one another.

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2407 on: June 13, 2016, 07:33:54 pm »

Great minds think alike. I came to post very much the same message.

My heart is with everyone effected directly and indirectly, I cannot imagine your pain or your strength. My love also goes out to LGBTQIA+ folk around the world, including Muslim members of the community who may be feeling doubly vulnerable today.

Stay safe everyone and love one another.

Like I wrote yesterday at Off Topic,  we stand with the community in Orlando.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2408 on: June 16, 2016, 02:26:28 am »

So the shirt /blouse came in this last Saturday,and I couldn't be happier with it. The size and fit was to the point, and the shirt is fitted with a very flattering waist with bell bottom.  I can't read the tags as they're in Chinese,except for the international symbols (drip dry, cold water or dry clean). The synthetic material seems to be very similar to cotton  buy it's very light, so it's not silk, poly or vinyl (rayon or viscose?).  The tuxedo-like pleats are sewn in to hold shape.  Nice enough to buy several of these, so I'm very happy with this one.

The waist cincher came in yesterday.  It works,  but I can't give it an grade beyond 67%. It lacks structure,  owing to the fact it only has 4 spiral bones,  presses too hard where it shouldn't, and not enough where it should. It does however erase all the excess winter calories. Thankfully the expense was very low.  So I'll be looking for something better in the next few days, as money permits. I'm also surprised how short my torso is. This is just a cincher, and almost looks like a corset. I'll be looking for something in brown if I can.

I could start taking photos now as the outfit is very close to the pictures above without the leather belts, save the socks are brown with battle gray sock "gaiters" (just socks folded over) ,

BUT I have a serious illumination problem at my house. And I need to frame the full body  this time, not just the bust/head. The camera I have, will only take good pictures without the flash; otherwise, I end up looking like a certain kind of citizen from Innsmouth Massachusetts. Either I take the photos elsewhere (darn,  I wish I was still in contact with the photography studio who took the group photos in 2010),  or I set up my own illumination rig.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2409 on: June 17, 2016, 04:05:23 pm »

Glad this outfit is coming together.  You've probably already thought of this but had you considered wearing leg-warmers rather than socks if shoes are a little tight.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2410 on: June 17, 2016, 07:48:57 pm »

Glad this outfit is coming together.  You've probably already thought of this but had you considered wearing leg-warmers rather than socks if shoes are a little tight.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I have three pairs of older socks (I've been buying these for some years now, which instead of continuously mending, I opted to cut the feet off and turned them into leg warmers.  I have gray and brown warmers. There is no problem wearing a single thin sock layer between the shoe and the foot, like in ankle-less socks with I also have.  It just can't be very a very thick sock,  as these are shoes, not actual boots. .

Also for actual outdoor walks I'm looking at buying men's "duck" boots, which have a built in "gaiter" look to them. I can get them brand new at wholesale prices on eBay. Above that there would be a calf sock made from folding a long sock over itself like a warmer.

Something like this

http://ebay.com/itm/361591617348

And these brand new ones are looking very attractive, though they lack the long shaft:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LandMark-Mens-Brown-Winter-Snow-Boots-Warm-Lined-Thermolite-Shoe-Waterproof-8/221665082704

(I'll add pictures when I can. The server at my supermarket blocks Twitter pics)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:36:11 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2411 on: June 19, 2016, 08:41:35 pm »

They look like a perfect boot for outdoor wear - and with the advantage of a good grip when necessary.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2412 on: June 20, 2016, 09:30:24 am »

They look like a perfect boot for outdoor wear - and with the advantage of a good grip when necessary.

Well, I can always make any excuse for it  Cheesy I'm improvising it all anyway.

In fact I'm going to try something crazy now. Having seen how poor (read: "lumpy") an elastic waist cincher (with 4 spiral bones) can be, and because the prices are so low at the moment, I've decided to buy a underbust corset with 28 spiral steel bones.

Having seen what the black cincher looks like, I'm convinced that having a same colour cincher (black) is a waste of time, and as Miranda pointed out, the texture does detract from the short's design. It basically is dark enough to lengthen the shorts, but not dark enough to blend properly. The quality of the black is more toward the "blue" hue, whereas, the denim shorts are closer to a true coal-black.

Then I though, what about white? And the ones which I saw online, with steel boning, while beautiful with brocade, were a shade of titanium-white (since the satin material is quasi-metallic), that would probably detract with the cotton-white shirt in the same way that happened with the black shorts.

So I've decided I need to play the colour of the corset to make a contrast with both shorts and shirt. Instead of trying to blend in, there should be a contrast. This means horsing around with shades of brown or red which I could find

Sadly, at my purchasing power level, the more distinctive corsets online (of quality build) are not made in my size (I tend to be 4XL in Chinese size  Shocked, and while I'm actually a relatively slender man, apparently I'm wide enough to not be able to get the more exotic varieties at wholesale prices (read: if I really want an interesting colour or pattern, I need to spend serious money away from Chinese wholesale sites).

I do however, have access to wholesale prices for more "traditional" plain satin finish corsets, like solid black or beige/champagne colour, which can have copious steel boning and which can run into very large sizes, much larger than my size  Shocked

I would have much preferred something like this:

But this is two sizes smaller than mine, so I bought this one instead:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/X-Woman-Sexy-Waist-Training-Corset-underbust-Corsets-Bustiers-Black-Satin-28-Steel-Boned-shaper-Lingerie/32605371503.html

So this is my crazy experiment, where I've gambled with a few more dollars (but not many Grin )

(Right click to amplify pictures)

So let's see what happens. From here on, if the quality of this corset proves to be good, then I'll continue adapting the colours. Hopefully the harness/braces will not clash with the corset.  Layering of colours in a "mocha" palette is called for (think black-brown-beige-white layers). It seems to me this may call for a significant lightening of the brown shade in the Lederhosen braces/suspenders. Perhaps going toward the lighter beige tones of suede:

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 09:37:41 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2413 on: June 20, 2016, 11:47:55 am »

Or you could alter the shade of the blouse ... if it's cotton then it should dye ok, maybe to a pale coffee colour or something the shade of the socks?  You may have to replace the buttons to match - but only the ones that are going to be visible on the finished outfit if you don't like sewing!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2414 on: June 20, 2016, 06:39:17 pm »

To my mind, the colour palette is working really well with the addition of the new corset - the graduation from dark to light as the eye travels up the combination is a great idea. And oh my, that corset certainly is value for money! If you wanted to jazz it up further, some lace sewn around the top would be fairly easy thing to add.

(snip)

(I'll add pictures when I can. The server at my supermarket blocks Twitter pics)

These look rather nice - and certainly not overly masculine; in fact glancing up the thread I initially thought they were women's outdoor shoes.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2415 on: June 20, 2016, 07:53:26 pm »

Or you could alter the shade of the blouse ... if it's cotton then it should dye ok, maybe to a pale coffee colour or something the shade of the socks?  You may have to replace the buttons to match - but only the ones that are going to be visible on the finished outfit if you don't like sewing!
I thought of that.  Khaki coloured uniforms in the US Army came out by the time of the Spanish - American War, so there is a close precedent. Basically it could be turned into a "fatigue blouse"  the technical term for battlefield shirts in the US armed forces. I don't know how it'd work, as the material is most likely not cotton, but something very similar, like viscose (it's not heavy like polyester in men's dress shirts and yet not as soft as rayon either).
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2416 on: June 20, 2016, 08:01:02 pm »

To my mind, the colour palette is working really well with the addition of the new corset - the graduation from dark to light as the eye travels up the combination is a great idea. And oh my, that corset certainly is value for money! If you wanted to jazz it up further, some lace sewn around the top would be fairly easy thing to add.

(snip)

These look rather nice - and certainly not overly masculine; in fact glancing up the thread I initially thought they were women's outdoor shoes.

Yours,
Miranda.

That's what I'm figuring. The colour palette is going back to the original concept, though I figure that is a subconscious effect  Cheesy

I can get Suede in various shades. It'd be nice to make a white "bone carved" (Sculpey/Fimo) US Eagle cameo for the lederhosen chest plate.

I like the shade on those boots.  But apparently I can't find these types of boots in the Chinese website.  They are made for the American market, and duck boots for women were all the rage one or two years ago. Originally they were men's hunting boots, but I like the gaiter /spats look.  Kudos if they're functional for every day wear.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:03:28 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2417 on: June 21, 2016, 06:21:45 pm »

So, yesterday morning I was fired from my job, supposedly for "sleeping on the job." This came not even a week after my gender marker on my license was changed from male to female. I have had nothing but problems reflecting my transition at work. I highly suspect this was an excuse to have me fired so that my transition did not have to be dealt with.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2418 on: June 21, 2016, 07:45:06 pm »

So, yesterday morning I was fired from my job, supposedly for "sleeping on the job." This came not even a week after my gender marker on my license was changed from male to female. I have had nothing but problems reflecting my transition at work. I highly suspect this was an excuse to have me fired so that my transition did not have to be dealt with.

I'm really sorry to hear that. If there is no validity to their claim, can you avail yourself of your state's Workforce Commission and/or legal help? As someone else told me once, don't be afraid to use the State's resources; those bureaucrats are getting paid copiously, and don't have anything to do. Depending on how conservative or liberal your state is you may not have LGBT protections in place, but an unjustified termination is sancionable anyway. They're good at creating problems for employers.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:46:58 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2419 on: June 22, 2016, 08:54:30 am »

I think I just found one of the (non-military) Engelfolk posing on Etsy Cheesy This post has closeups of the "cameo" on the "breast plate" of the braces/suspenders, as well as details on how the breast plate is made.  What I'd like to achieve is the layered look of leather over white felted wool with scallo[ed edges.  It turns out the "cameo" is actually traditional carvings made in cross-sections of antlers.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104104927/vintage-lederhosen-harness-suede-shorts

I used to have a gray pair of lederhosen as a 5 or 6 year old child; I wasn't raided by my parents, but my mother at the time was living in Switzerland, so she sent me grandmother a pair for me. I clearly remember the breastplate was not just leather, but had a white woolen/felt base with scalloped edges. I didn't realize that was a bone carving until now... I would like to reproduce that, but perhaps exaggerate the breastplate a little to form part of the harness.

And look at this:  A US Cavalry jacket from the 1950s. Note it's a cropped jacket. Not that I would use this material and finish, but it doesn't stray too far from Spanish American War uniforms. I may have a pretext for a cropped jacket to go on top of the ensemble after all.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/398331623/sale-1950s-us-cavalry-jacket-with?ref=shop_home_active_18

~ ~ ~

I'm really sorry to hear that. If there is no validity to their claim, can you avail yourself of your state's Workforce Commission and/or legal help? As someone else told me once, don't be afraid to use the State's resources; those bureaucrats are getting paid copiously, and don't have anything to do. Depending on how conservative or liberal your state is you may not have LGBT protections in place, but an unjustified termination is sancionable anyway. They're good at creating problems for employers.

Dear Mme. Ratchet: I haven't heard from you. I imagine you are looking for a new job at the moment. I wish you the best of good luck. Feel free to communicate with me if you need to.

J. W.

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2420 on: June 22, 2016, 06:01:15 pm »

I apologize, I've been trying to fix my sleep schedule and looking for new employment. Legal action is being pursued, but I don't want to say too much more than that. Our state does not have a lot in the way of LGBT protections, but I know of people who have won cases of discrimination against trans people in my county before (under the same judge, even), so there's a chance. I'm trying to stay tight-lipped lest something leak out and cause un-due problems.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2421 on: June 22, 2016, 07:40:17 pm »

(snip)

I apologize, I've been trying to fix my sleep schedule and looking for new employment. Legal action is being pursued, but I don't want to say too much more than that. Our state does not have a lot in the way of LGBT protections, but I know of people who have won cases of discrimination against trans people in my county before (under the same judge, even), so there's a chance. I'm trying to stay tight-lipped lest something leak out and cause un-due problems.

I'm very sorry you are having these problems, and I hope that you find new employment quickly (or win so much money in damages against your previous employer you can retire in the lap of luxury!)

Yours,
Miranda.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2422 on: June 23, 2016, 12:16:48 am »

So, I'm just a wee bit annoyed and need to vent a little bit. So, our local con (SoDak Con is the name of it) has a rule regarding weapons and props. Rather than paraphrase it, I'll just re-post it here: "There is a no real weapons policy at SoDak Con. No steel. No Air Soft. No Props that look like real weapons. If you have a prop of some sort it must be checked by operations and will be peace tied by them. If you are caught abusing this privilege in any way that could endanger someone you will be dismissed from the convention. There will be some panels and demonstrations exempt from this rule, and these situations are the only exceptions. This is not just the conventions policies but also the Civic Center's policies. "

Now at first, it makes sense. No steel, no airsoft, nothing real. Perfect sense. Don't want someone accidentally getting cut or injured, or god forbid someone just walking in with a rifle and passing it off as "airsoft", then people get hurt. Tooooooootally get it, and I'm perfectly cool with that.

But then there's the part that says "No props that look like real weapons"... Which is incredibly vague. That clause practically forces any sword made of any material (foam core, wood, what ever else you might make it from) to be left at home. Or what if I brought a steamed Nerf Maverick? Banned, looks like a "real weapon". Or a resin casting of some sort of fantasy pistol that looks pretty steamy (example being Mal's gun from Firefly)? Banned, looks like a "real weapon".

Seriously, what the hell? That seems to drastically limit the creative options of the con go'ers, as well as what cosplayers can even go as. If I wanted to go to the con as someone from like an anime or something, say Sasuke from Naruto: Shippuden, can't bring the sword (still able to tell who the character is, so bad example), or say one of the people from Bleach? Can't bring a sword, but many of them look like generic school uniform outfits, so it's not like you could tell. Without making something incredibly out-landish, you seemingly wouldn't be able to do a lot of different things.

Seriously, just... *rips hair out* graaaaah x_x Urgh. Okay, think I'm down, now.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2423 on: June 23, 2016, 02:23:06 am »

So, I'm just a wee bit annoyed...
*snip*

Have!  And to think that in the video game convention at SXSW this year, the was a booth selling fully functional steel Katanas!   Grin
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2424 on: June 23, 2016, 02:23:53 am »

Dios mio! The horror!
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: