The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 03:50:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 142207 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2375 on: April 11, 2016, 09:38:38 pm »

Figured you all might like to hear from me Smiley

It's a real pleasure to hear from you; glad you're about again.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2376 on: April 15, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »

So I'm doing my final psychology project on gender identity disorders. I have to research and review how they are portrayed in film and how accurate the portrayal is.
CloudWolf
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

airship pirate

« Reply #2377 on: April 19, 2016, 05:01:46 pm »

greetings all, i've been gone a long time, how everyone? Cheesy

Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2378 on: April 19, 2016, 06:08:10 pm »

So I'm doing my final psychology project on gender identity disorders. I have to research and review how they are portrayed in film and how accurate the portrayal is.

Unfortunately the characters either tend to be either comic or psychotic   Sad But I suppose comic isn't too bad provided it's done in the right terms - The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert is one of my all-time favorites. If your remit extends to television I believe Transparent has been a better attempt at showing real transgender issues, although I haven't seen it myself.

greetings all, i've been gone a long time, how everyone? Cheesy

Well, thank you, and I hope we find you the same!

Yours,
Miranda.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2379 on: April 19, 2016, 08:10:53 pm »

I have to use the movie "Transamerica (Ive seen it before. Its good. Smiley
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2380 on: April 20, 2016, 09:05:58 am »

Greetings and salutations! I return from yet another long-standing disappearance (I'm good at those!). I am alive, and the rumors of my death are untrue!

J. Wilhelm, you look fabulous in the halter-top look <3

*snip*

Figured you all might like to hear from me Smiley

Welcome back and thank you Cheesy  Wink  I'm just fooling myself into thinking that I'll finish the outfit some day  Cheesy

I'm actually on the hunt for similar halter tops and seeking cropped jackets whenever I can. I've taken a Zen approach to it, as I'm forced to pounce on whatever opportunistic find I meet along the road. Sometimes you find intriguing things and if the budget fits and is practical, then it becomes a reality...

e.g. I'm not keen on high heels, but sometimes you wonder if something like this would work (available in US Size 11 !)

*snip*

I wish I could draw to save my life, because I'd love to do some type of artists rendition of what I have in mind for the three (yes, three! o_o) costumes I am sloooooooowly working on. Things have been slow, and I am trying to get all the things together (and a pattern, because I lost mine O_O) for my smoking cap project, as I will be hand-embroidering it.

*snip*

I lost my ability to draw well in my early 20's.  Too much science and engineering focused most of the energy toward my left side of the brain, and the only thing that survived was my woodworking ability

Welcome back anyway  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:07:32 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2381 on: April 20, 2016, 09:19:04 am »

Ooh. Psychology project. It seems that we live in times of high flux when it comes knowledge on topics such as the Gender Spectrum. I myself am extremely confused as to where I fit. Seems to me the only truth is what I know about myself - explaining it and meeting others like me is a very different issue, never mind whether the people on the other side actually understand what I'm trying to tell them. It's so self evident to me, but it's easy to get tongue tied externalizing what seems obvious to me.

I'm in that nebulous limbo where people will see in me what they want to see -which is fine by me, because not only can I bend my gender presentation, but I can tune it to whatever makes the other person in front of me the most comfortable. That is a very rewarding position I have placed myself into. I get lots of "double takes."  Cheesy  But by never traveling too far into the fem side (as being 100% male is second nature to me) I can be as fem. or masc. as I want to be instantly, so I can make almost anyone be at ease in a matter of seconds. It would be much harder if I was in "full drag."
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2382 on: April 20, 2016, 06:47:32 pm »

That's certainly an interesting approach!
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2383 on: May 13, 2016, 08:09:50 pm »

That's certainly an interesting approach!

I guess it's more in line with the way I feel.  I don't like the term "gender fluid" too much,  but it's along those lines.  The thing is,  I've never been uncomfortable with my birth assigned gender.  No gender dysphoria at all,  so I've never had a conflict.   I wonder if that aspect is being treated at all in those documentaries, movies and media.  Once that  people begin to understand biological based gender variation,  you still have to tackle the psychologically based gender variance.  I guess that 's the next front.

In other news,  seems like the "Battle of the Loo" is heating up.  The transgender were the target the anti LGBQT forces chose in their state per state resistance to  progress (subject is highly political though)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36286111
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2384 on: May 25, 2016, 07:38:54 am »

Look!  Cheesy I just found these shorts at AliExpress, and on a whim (even though I already had the gray skorts), I  purchased them in black.  The were so unusual, anachronistic, and being a mix of waist cincher and shorts, that I fell in love with them on sight (plus they're sold in bigger sizes, were cheap and have very good reviews). I thought I'd be killing two birds with one shot.

I'm thinking they could easily work into the Luftshiffengel character, and though they only had in blue and black (and noting contrary to popular belief, denim is in fact a victorian fabric), I know black colour is very versatile, and would look natural with any colour scheme, such as gray brown or blue, as I already planned for a black cincher.  The top of the shorts goes slightly above the natural waist, if I'm to believe the measurements posted (in cm, rather that going by "size" standards).

I'm thinking of modifying the lacing in the back for a much longer white coloured lacing, like corsets have. All that is left to do is find the blouse and make a leather harness, probably incorporated into the belt (as it has belt loops).

I'm looking for a blouse shirt that would not necessarily be "period correct", but at least hint at being 19th. C. I have found a lot of inexpensive "office blouses" in larger sizes at AliExpress that could fit the bill" and I'll be looking for one, if possible suggesting some military uniform....

Or ethnic Germanic blouse of some sort...

I'm also convinced I can combine with the boots shown a few posts above on this page. The brown knee/thigh-high socks remain on the table. Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 08:06:45 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2385 on: May 25, 2016, 05:43:58 pm »

Do they still make shoes with buttons?
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2386 on: May 25, 2016, 06:25:03 pm »

Good question. I have not seen them commercially available. On the other hand, the Chinese are pretty cavalier in their designs, and when it comes to female shoes,  it's an entirely different fashion universe (expect anything).

Curiously, I remember an American TV interview in the early 2000s(?) , between Charlie Rose(?) and the late Prince (the musician),  who was wearing black and white high heels with buttons.  They kind of looked like spats combined with the 1950s black/white shoes. I'm not crazy about heeled shoes myself (as in never like them) ,  but I thought those were anachronistic looking shoes.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2387 on: May 25, 2016, 06:45:37 pm »

Just a quick thought - what about leather laces for the shorts to link in with the harness?

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2388 on: May 25, 2016, 07:57:34 pm »

Just a quick thought - what about leather laces for the shorts to link in with the harness?

Yours,
Miranda.

You mean to match colours? Or physically link the harness to the lacing?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 10:51:21 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2389 on: May 26, 2016, 10:52:17 am »

I just bought the boots Cheesy And I can get the blouse below, in my size, for $8. I imagine this look good with the appropriate military insignia....

~ ~ ~

So I exercise my trusty Frankensteinian photoshop skills and present the third iteration of the Luftschiffengel  uniform, this time presented by a beautiful Chinese model, Miss Li (a composite of three virtual human models):

*Oh dear Mei-Xing, would you please step in?*

Right-click on the images to see a closeup!

So what? What is different about this 3rd uniform iteration above, is that it's much closer to reality, with the shorts and shoes nearly in my possession, the long socks already in my possession and the blouse readily obtainable within the next few days.

In the  first picture I just followed the pattern we had followed before with the harness.  In the second picture I have not shown the harness to display the shorts' cincher, and I have "simulated the look of the boots.  The socks in the picture are still wrong... Or are they? wouldn't we still need some gaiters?

But as I wrote, I already have long brown socks.  My photoshop-fu is failing me right now, as the Kato's socks have been made devoid of any colour (black), and apparently there is not enough graphical information to recreate the shadows of the legs in another colour, such as chocolate-coloured tights/socks.  Perhaps I'll have  to go to the aetheric graveyard and fetch me a new pair of virtual legs  Roll Eyes

With this, the Bavarian harness and proper Steampunk paraphernalia become the focus of the project, so I already have a base, and it's a matter of gathering the bells and whistles (and whips or chains, whichever might be the case  Wink  Finally this will start becoming a more Steampunk project.

Besides the "Bavarian harness", now I can also look at military insignia.  I turn to the wonderful site USHist.com for uniform reproductions...

Remember, this character is a captured Austrian Luftschiffengel crew member originally serving aboard the Confederate States of America Airship Alamo (CSAA Alamo), who circa 1870 fought in the Franco American aerial battle over Mexico. After being imprisoned, ze* is freed and pressed into service under the command of the Union Admiral Johannes Wilhelm, a German migrant himself, aboard the same captured ship, which now is re-christened the United States Airship Orca (USAS Orca). As such. I need to figure several things:

1) What is zirs* name? The name of this non-gender specific character (I might consult our oracle Miss Nephele for that.)?
2) Obviously ze is part of the engineering crew. What is zirs appropriate rank?
3) Uniforms and insignias at the time would be similar to those of the Post Civil War Period ("Indian Wars Period) from about 1872 through to 1899.

*Gender neutral pronoun Ze/Zir/Zhe is historically correct for Germanic languages, by the way (good for me because I always have a hard time with They and other similar ones that mess up my grammar  Roll Eyes ).

Uniforms:
http://www.ushist.com/indian-wars_uniforms_us_iw.shtml

Insignia:
http://www.ushist.com/indian_wars/us_military/uniforms/insignia_officer_iw.shtml

Gaiters:
http://www.ushist.com/indian_wars/us_military/uniforms/boots-shoes_i.shtml#item6

Pehaps some shoulder tabs?  If this is an engineering officer, there would be tabs for the "fatigue blouse" and shoulder boards for a frock coat or equivalent.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:32:52 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2390 on: May 27, 2016, 11:22:42 am »

Those shorts are really neat.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2391 on: May 28, 2016, 07:21:55 am »

Those shorts are really neat.

I impatiently await for them! I've tracked them in transit, and they're in Chicago  Cheesy

Correction: it was a 2009 interview of Prince by Tavis Smiley on PBS  excerpsts of which were incorporated into a tribute aired by Mr. Smiley in April 22 and 25 of 2016. There's no better image, and sadly there are very few videos of pictures on the web... the video below shows the 2016 tribute with excerpts from the two 2009 interviews, the second interview - seen after the 0:37 time mark- is when he wore the black and white shoes. Unfortunately they're barely visible in the screen, but they're in style and had buttons on the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf7yRFk-ZfE

As far and men's ankle boots they belong to the past, I'm afraid. You can get them as reproductions, though for a hefty price:

http://www.ushist.com/19th-century_mens_boots_shoes.shtml

You can search "1900s men's ankle boots" on Google and you will see that most women's heeled boots were laced. The men's ankle boots did have buttons:

http://bigfootshoes.co.uk/blog/history-mens-shoes-1900-2014/

http://www.polyvore.com/1880s_1900s_ankle_boots_victorian/thing?id=28540654

Prince's shoes are not as dramatic as the ones in the link below, but not as traditional as the ankle boots in the bottom link, but these people in the UK sell model versions of female shoes with buttons; I'm sure there are others selling similar shoes:

http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk/teeze-20-black-patent-and-white-matt-high-heel-mid-platform-button-up-court-shoes.html

http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk/flora-1023-white-black-ankle-boot.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:52:40 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2392 on: June 01, 2016, 08:19:26 am »

Good news. The shorts arrived.  They're awesome, and great fit  Smiley  They really do look a bit like black Lederhosen. The product will no be the best pair of denims I have seen, but this was a good call, as the picture of the shorts in in black above doesn't do justice at all. Golden thread, pitch black denim, very stretchy but good thickness. Definitely Steampunkable.

The shorts would look better with a long white lace - by the way Miranda, they actually did in fact come with a lace made of leather strip! But the brown colour gets lost in the black denim. I used a gray round cross section lace from an old hiking boot, and it looks spectacular in length and cross section but could use more contrast. Definitely use round and not flat laces. Preferably gold coloured to match the thread or white would be best for these shorts.

On the waist: I'm going to get a white waist cincher trainer tonight (combination spandex and a couple of steel bones) to wear underneath or outside optionally (white is better to avoid showing through the blouse or alternative I can wear it outside and will compliment the blouse), as the shorts already do most of the hard work hiding my "winter tyre" - there's not much of a tyre, but I want a slight hourglass shape as opposed to a perfect straight cylinder, which is what I get now with these shorts. So the shorts already have quite a bit of a stretch.  I'm very plased actually.

The shorts already look good with the brown socks, and the white-black-brown combination really looks great. I tested with a man's cotton button-down shirt, and even added black braces (suspenders) to good effect. but will not look good until I get the fitted shirt. Otherwise the man's shirt is to "parachutey" to look good.  Grin  The only issue is that I have to cuff the long socks a lot. Over the knee socks would look better than the full thigh high ones. But the thigh highs can go fully under the shorts for a different look.

Waiting for the rest, to get here. Next is the boots. Photos will come soon there after, iff I can with the waist cincher at hand (domestic shipment).
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2393 on: June 01, 2016, 10:32:57 am »

Sounds good, so... Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! (Please...  Wink )

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2394 on: June 01, 2016, 08:00:52 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Soon,  dear Miranda, soon!  Patience is a virtue!  Though at the moment I'm very impatient myself. The boots have been received by China Post,  but no indication it has left mainland China. So it's an excruciating wait.  The shirt has not even been shipped yet!
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2395 on: June 03, 2016, 06:21:37 am »

Yours,
Miranda.

I'm sorry I only have this pictures for now (taken after opening the package at the super  Cheesy). My tablet's camera is truly horrible (well, I didn't buy the tablet for the camera, really). You can see the gray shoelace - it needs to be white.

I will be pairing the shirts with one of these waist cincher (already ordered) worn underneath, but over the shirt:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Slimming-Body-Waist-Tummy-Trimmer-Black-4-Steel-Bone-Waist-Trainer-Cincher-Women-Girdles-Lose-Weight/32441735313.html
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which I chose because of the "knitted" look. It should vaguely match the look of the knitted long socks, and it should lengthen the "corset" between the natural waist and my chest.

Sadly they don't have brown cinchers, and I thought of other colours, but I think this will compliment the look. The removable extension in the centre, follows the pleats in the white shirt. Basically like in a modern (American) tuxedo pleated shirt.

The trick is now to introduce the brown colour into the rest of the black outfit, probably in the socks and harness.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2396 on: June 03, 2016, 06:22:31 pm »

The ensemble is definitely coming together. Will the harness be used to help interface the shorts and the corset? I just wonder that, if not, the contrast of materials between the shorts and corset might be a bit distracting.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2397 on: June 03, 2016, 08:15:13 pm »

The ensemble is definitely coming together. Will the harness be used to help interface the shorts and the corset? I just wonder that, if not, the contrast of materials between the shorts and corset might be a bit distracting.

Yours,
Miranda.

That is a good question. I think that the corset will be the  "cushion"  for the leather harness' "cross brace," if that makes sense. Look at Lederhosen for men to see what I mean.  With some sort of design or medallion in the centre. That is why I chose the black over the light beige coloured cincher. Black tends to conceal itself much better,  depending on the level of black, and the fabric I chose looks like knot yarn.  Hopefully that'll look good.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:43:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2398 on: June 04, 2016, 03:46:10 am »

I was thinking of something like this on top of the corset's exposed area, but in brown to make a contrast,  but perhaps some appropriate motif befitting the occupation, service and rank of the Luftschiffengel. It should be easy enough to make knitted attachments for the leather parts.

Since this character is enlisted US Armed Forces personnel, perhaps some insignia like this lovely gold bullion embroidered hat patch? Its only $10 !

http://www.ushist.com/indian_wars/us_military/uniforms/hats_indian-wars.shtml

Or this one with the Engineer's Corp castle in Silver and Gold:

~ ~ ~

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:57:35 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2399 on: June 06, 2016, 10:53:50 pm »

That outfit is going to look really cute.

Have you thought of something like a silk scarf worn as a cravat around the neck to introduce the brown that you're looking for? Maybe you could find one with several shades in it - charity shops are a great source of 'silk' scarves at reasonable prices, in England at least.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: