The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:49:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 142397 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2350 on: December 07, 2015, 04:18:30 am »

Aha! I see! Now I could try to pass that off as just part of the build up to the grand reveal but I admit I just haven't quite caught up with the 21st century.. Is it the 21st already? My, doesn't time fly!

Thank you for your assistance.

So, without further ado, here are the images promised. One I have 'aged', as you see, and another to show the look in full colour. What do you think?

I would love to steampunk it up with details like a good time piece and a mechanical-type buttonhole. Do you have any ideas?

Very dapper indeed! Excellent photograph and composition.  Now you must build a story around the photo.

~ ~ ~

In other news... It seems that gender neutral shoes aimed at women is all the rage as of late. Browsing I found the coolest gender neutral shoes I've seen. Now that I'm thinking of starting professional life again, I'm wondering how mouch I can push the gender boundaries while looking professional:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Big-size-33-43-high-quality-hot-sale-2015-new-fashion-style-women-casual-PU-leather/32292033580.html

These below, sadly, not in my size:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-European-American-fashion-thick-with-platform-heels-lace-up-Round-head-deep-mouth-vintage-oxford/32307758584.html

But these are made big enough

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-women-shoes/32256157542.html

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:26:22 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

SteamFaery
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2351 on: December 07, 2015, 01:21:43 pm »

Thank you, everyone!

How I would love one of those fantastic canes, but I'm afraid they are beyond my budget. Most of the outfit came from a friend who buys and sells vintage clothes. We did a trade. I bought the tails and the moustache online. The 'tache is amazingly uncomfortable. But that has never stopped me from wearing anything before!

I'm very happy with the basic look and I'm looking forward to adding to it any other bits and pieces as I come across them.

I've been invited to perform at an upcoming event and I'm thinking of wearing this and singing baritone instead of my usual soprano. I must have a story and a name before that.

~ The shoes are all very nice. I particularly like the first ones with the unusual stripes.

"Let us return to the past; it will be progress." ~ Giuseppe Verdi

www.ziazan.co.uk
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2352 on: December 07, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »

Those shoes do look rather smart - practical too.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2353 on: December 08, 2015, 08:05:04 am »

~ ~ ~

In other news... It seems that gender neutral shoes aimed at women is all the rage as of late. Browsing I found the coolest gender neutral shoes I've seen. Now that I'm thinking of starting professional life again, I'm wondering how mouch I can push the gender boundaries while looking professional:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Big-size-33-43-high-quality-hot-sale-2015-new-fashion-style-women-casual-PU-leather/32292033580.html

~ The shoes are all very nice. I particularly like the first ones with the unusual stripes.

I think those brown shoes have my name on them  Wink  Grin I'm torn between getting those and a proper pair of dress shoes. I could kill two birds with one stone and get the black ones, but I think I like the brown ones much better.  For dress shoes the synthetic patent leather ones look much nicer.

I also found these in all black patent leather which would make great dress shoes and they have twins in black and white.  Back in the day when I had money, I loved to buy black and white Adio skate shoes - about 10 years ago, when I was learning ballroom dancing and swing (jitterbug), and the black and white shoes were rather appropriate for the latter music/dance Grin.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Women-Black-Platform-Flats-Autumn-High-Quality-Oxfords-Solid-Plain-PU-Leather-Creepers-Casual/32518914230.html

You know? I was doing the same search on casual and Oxford shoes for men, and I was absolutely horrified at the horrible selection that both Ali Express and DH Gate have.  There was absolutely nothing decent to be found. I'm trying to avoid the recent trend in budget Chinese shoes (like the ones I wear to my job  to hollow-out the sole material, as those shoes tend to collapse under my weight and start wearing out extremely fast (sometimes lasting less than a month - but at $16/pair I consider as disposable).  The sports shoes I could tell were Tesco/Walmart cheap (hollow soles). Just by looking, I'm sure the Women's shoes above would outlast the men's in the month of walking 5 miles per day.

And the leather/pleather casual/flats looked absolutely horrible. Downright clownish. WTF?  Do men not buy nice shoes any more Huh I've haven't bought clothes for so long I'm unaware of the latest trends.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Autumn-Korean-version-of-Men-s-shoes-Men-hip-hop-shoes-high-shoes-Fashion-casual/32461276883.html  Roll Eyes  Huh

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Fashion-Medusa-Top-and-Metal-Toe-Men-Velvet-Casual-shoes-Men-Luxurious-Loafers-Plus-Size/32480802211.html? "Medusa top"?  Cheesy

If you bother to search, the men's shoes in the same leather/flats (Oxford + loafers) category are downright horrible, with a common trend for ultra flat elongated and pointy shoes that would look better on a clown.  Is that a new fashion for men?? They look like pointy cowboy boots that have had their shaft cut off to make a shoe and then they were stretched to make the point longer.

You can kill someone with these... "To be sexy men"? What the hell is wrong with people?  Grin
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-Handmade-Party-Shoes-Slip-On-Poionted-Metal-Tip-Genuine-Leather-Men-s-Fashion-Shoes/32263848344.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GRIMENTIN-classic-style-luxury-men-dress-shoes-Top-grade-black-brown-genuine-leather-men-shoes-formal/32251679207.html

These don't look that bad, but still pretty long... Italian fashion?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men-shoes-flats-chaussure-homme-2015-new-fashion-England-PU-leather-shoes-men-zapatos-hombre-mens/32532028418.html

I heard of a trend among "Narco" drug traffickers and gangsters in Northern Mexico, where the men started favouring extremely long-tipped boots, spending ridiculous sums of money for each custom-made pair. They'd wear the boots to local dances and even organize contests on the craziest boots. I'm wondering if the Chinese are now pandering to these Mafia types. Or has the world gone crazy and the Asian have taken a liking to clown shoes?

~ ~ ~

I'll take the girl shoes, thank you very much. Cheesy  Even without trying to bend the gender, given the choice, I would have gravitated to the women's Oxfords anyway, as they look much nicer, and oddly much closer to what I understand as a man's shoe compared to the "Joker shoes" I found.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:52:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2354 on: December 09, 2015, 07:08:04 am »

I may have found a good compromise... how about a pair of burgundy shoes? Red and patent for the feminine chunky for the masculine, dark and refined for the formal attire...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fashion-Lace-up-Cutouts-Lace-Round-toe-Oxfords-Shoes-2015-Casual-Flat-Heels-Women-Shoes-Woman/32353879261.html

I also found these, but too expensive for my means at the moment:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plus-Size-43-Shoes-Woman-Autumn-2015-Oxford-Shoes-For-Women-Female-Flats-Genuine-Leather-Oxfords/32553529567.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 07:18:51 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2355 on: December 10, 2015, 06:53:01 pm »

I may have found a good compromise... how about a pair of burgundy shoes? Red and patent for the feminine chunky for the masculine, dark and refined for the formal attire...

That's a lovely colour.

They are all very shiny. Is this also a current trend? I've never liked very long-toed footwear. It was fashionable for women's shoes a few years ago and I found them really hard to walk in. But at the time girls were also wearing tunic tops and leggings so they looked quite mediaeval, which I loved!

http://www.marksandspencer.com/stain-away-double-strap-buckle-ankle-boots-with-insolia-flex/p/p22401758

I fell in love with these when strolling past M&S one day (in the red, I already have a similar pair in black). But I thought this info on the website was particularly interesting: these apparently "make walking in flats more comfortable". Do many people find flats more uncomfortable than heels? I find both can be uncomfortable — surely it depends more on how well made the shoe is than the angle?
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2356 on: December 10, 2015, 07:15:53 pm »

SteamFaery that looks really terrific! I'm envious of the moustache. Cool

I got it from www.beardsandmoustaches.co.uk

Now I just want to be able to grow my own even more...
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2357 on: December 11, 2015, 05:52:24 am »

That's a lovely colour.

They are all very shiny. Is this also a current trend? I've never liked very long-toed footwear. It was fashionable for women's shoes a few years ago and I found them really hard to walk in. But at the time girls were also wearing tunic tops and leggings so they looked quite mediaeval, which I loved!

http://www.marksandspencer.com/stain-away-double-strap-buckle-ankle-boots-with-insolia-flex/p/p22401758

I fell in love with these when strolling past M&S one day (in the red, I already have a similar pair in black). But I thought this info on the website was particularly interesting: these apparently "make walking in flats more comfortable". Do many people find flats more uncomfortable than heels? I find both can be uncomfortable — surely it depends more on how well made the shoe is than the angle?

I think the Patent leather (i.e. glass finish) is a trend, along with the platform and/or medium heel.  These two details, besides the colour, are the only way to feminize what is otherwise a very masculine shoe (Thick boot sole + Oxford shoe, both masculine styles), given that the real trend in fashion is to blur the gender lines.  

The only true "legacy" feminine style related to Oxfords originating before the 21st C. are the "Mary Jane" shoes, which might have looked "masculine" way back then, as even boys also used to wear Mary Janes ( e.g. the character Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh fame), but now are firmly planted in the feminine sphere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_%28shoe%29

Perhaps I'm just not a fan of very pointy shoes, period. With men having bigger feet in general (I barely fit into the Women's shoe scale at size 12 US (43 EUR) as my absolute minimum, pointy shoes start looking "clowny" rather easily.

As far as Women flats, you're talking to the wrong person (*points at rather large feet*), I'm just inexperienced in female footwear.  Grin I think Mr.Dream Hazard (whom we haven't seen 'round here for a while) is much more experienced than I am.

Those are very 1980s-looking boots you show there. I'm shure I saw those many times before when I was a teenager. among the New Wave/New Romantic crowd in Mexico.

I don't much care about the "angle of the foot" whatever they mean by that. What I can tell you is that male dress flats can be rather uncomfortable, mostly due to the lack of arch and cushioning on the thin leather sole.  At their most comfortable, they're exactly like walking barefoot on a hard surface, making walking long distances rather uncomfortable.  Even "lumberjack" style solid rubber thick soles can offer a degree of cushioning, and greatly mitigate the impact on the foot. I used to love my hard-rubber soled hiking boots, with soles similar to the red shoes above, so I know they'll be comfortable.  

My fear with the foam-platform shoes is that they might be too "cushioned" at that thickness, but I think that fear is unfounded.  Quite frankly walking as many miles I do every day, what I long for is a thick SOLID shoe sole, as opposed to these hollowed out Latex soles used by the Tesco/Walmart low-quality skate or canvas shoes, which basically are disposable shoes for me.  I only agree to wear them because I know that at $16 US they're extremely inexpensive and I can afford to buy a new pair every month. They're cheaper than bus passage  Undecided

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:20:02 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2358 on: December 11, 2015, 07:33:51 pm »

Update on the Lufschiffengel hairclip:

It works quite nicely. Two experimental clips were made and worn with success. The clips are made from two simple rectangular plates, one being copper-clad soft steel, about 1.7 cm x 5.8 cm x1.5mm  and the other being 0.8mm thick Norwegian Birchwood plywood, of the high quality modelling grade. The magnets are 2 super strong metallic squares 8mm x 8mm x 3mm for each clip, salvaged from tire pressure gauges.

The trick is to place the magnets on the non metallic side of the clip, less than a millimetre thick, so as to not dilute the magnetic field - which is severely weakened once it reached the metal plate.  Also it helps to position the magnets in such a way the magnetic fields are are continuous (like a battery of N-S polarity).

The hair clips do not crimp the hair and are very gentle. They are heavy though, but you hardly notice that over time. They also provide a uniform pressure on the whole tuft of hair, so I'm debating whether attaching the two plates with a hinge is even a good idea.  Probably not as that will make one side of the clip crimp much harder and the other side will be weak.Perhaps no a hinge but a loose clasp of some sort...

I'll post pictures when I can.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2359 on: December 14, 2015, 11:13:15 pm »

Update on the Lufschiffengel hairclip:

It works quite nicely. Two experimental clips were made and worn with success. The clips are made from two simple rectangular plates, one being copper-clad soft steel, about 1.7 cm x 5.8 cm x1.5mm  and the other being 0.8mm thick Norwegian Birchwood plywood, of the high quality modelling grade. The magnets are 2 super strong metallic squares 8mm x 8mm x 3mm for each clip, salvaged from tire pressure gauges.

The trick is to place the magnets on the non metallic side of the clip, less than a millimetre thick, so as to not dilute the magnetic field - which is severely weakened once it reached the metal plate.  Also it helps to position the magnets in such a way the magnetic fields are are continuous (like a battery of N-S polarity).

The hair clips do not crimp the hair and are very gentle. They are heavy though, but you hardly notice that over time. They also provide a uniform pressure on the whole tuft of hair, so I'm debating whether attaching the two plates with a hinge is even a good idea.  Probably not as that will make one side of the clip crimp much harder and the other side will be weak.Perhaps no a hinge but a loose clasp of some sort...

I'll post pictures when I can.

Glad these have worked well for you.  It's always difficult to find something that doesn't wreck the hair - long hair is already high maintenance enough; it sounds as if you've come up with a good solution.
By the way, I LOVE the burgundy shoes.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2360 on: January 05, 2016, 12:50:48 pm »

Hope you all 'made the yuletide gay' and had a good Christmas and that the New Year brings you happiness, support and appreciation for who you are as a person

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2361 on: January 07, 2016, 10:31:24 am »

Hope you all 'made the yuletide gay' and had a good Christmas and that the New Year brings you happiness, support and appreciation for who you are as a person

Likewise Mr. Fallowfield. We hadn't heard from you since last year  Grin (badum-tush! I herd it so often this season).

from http://andrewhickinbottom.blogspot.com/
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RVJzPXs-7OU/VnZmhsEeJtI/AAAAAAAAAxY/MYx3LPOCBKY/s1600/Merry%2BTrixmas%2B2015%2Bscaled.jpg
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:47:01 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2362 on: January 07, 2016, 11:22:30 am »

A bit small for my size, but how about faux (polyester) suede shorts as a "starter" for the Lederhosen? It seems I'm making slow progress toward finding the prices and items I've been looking for... Look hard enough for it, and you will find it...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Fashion-Design-Lady-Casual-Short-Trousers-2015-W0MENS-HIGH-WAIST-SUEDE-SHORTS-FRINGED-shorts/1908750_32512184666.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-New-Brand-Women-Shorts-Solid-High-Waist-Short-Pants-Faux-Suede-Shorts-Vintage-Retro-Shorts/32569880252.html

The last one has two very interesting details; the forst one is the front "flap" which is reminiscent of the front detail in folkloric Lederhosen shorts - this could be modified to include that detail.  The second is a bit more subtle... Do you note anything peculiar about the front button chosen for these shorts (closeup on black shorts)?   Grin  (Hint: I'm supposed to have this Luftschiffengel character serve aboard a US military airship)

Very cheap, but they come in one or two sizes smaller than I need. Maybe I can hunt for the factory outlet.

Just a passing thought... What if I were to take the faux suede shorts and find material to match?  Making the front (and even a back) flap to convert these into skorts would be relatively easy....

In other news, thinking of the US Officer's navy blue coloured uniform, I've been perusing full length male Kilts (and female "Billie" mini-Kilt skirts Grin) in the "Honour of Scotland blue, purple, black and white colours. I find the use of purple black and white on blue strangely appropriate, for those of you informed on the significance of purple, white and black in the gender spectrum heraldry, not to mention that the colours on the sett (tartan pattern) kick some serious arse:

From a US acrylic wool kilt maker:
http://www.amazon.com/Honour-Scotland-Yd-KILT-Size/dp/B0073D4WEC/ref=sr_1_32?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1452153218&sr=1-32&nodeID=7147441011

And for the female Billies, I'm comparing to "non-kilt" skirts made in acrylic tartans:

From the same US maker:
http://www.amazon.com/Honour-Scotland-16-5-Inch-Skirt/dp/B003VRNUCO/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1452161370&sr=1-6&nodeID=7147440011

From a Chinese maker for the Korean/Japanese market:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-selling-preppystyle-2014-early-spring-female-woolen-pleated-skirt-plus-size-S-M-L-XL/1565541891.html

And from Amazon.co.uk (which is a completely separate website, I found a couple of vendor who go almost as low on their prices for real wool items... for example this vendor makes Billies and female kilts out of natural wool, and they carry the similar tartan, "Heritage of Scotland:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Morrison-Womens-Scottish-Tartan/dp/B01391WFFE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_193_3

I also found PU (polyurethane) leather skorts!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/women-Leather-shorts-Brand-new-high-quality-hot-lederhosen-Female-autumn-winter-show-thin-leather-skirts/32531424273.html

Now I have a bizarre vision of a pair of plaid skorts  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Grin But I guess that's asking too much  Grin
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:58:45 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2363 on: January 08, 2016, 10:30:57 pm »

The texture of the first set of shorts looks rather nice, and the Billies are rather cute.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2364 on: January 09, 2016, 08:10:55 am »

The texture of the first set of shorts looks rather nice, and the Billies are rather cute.

Yours,
Miranda.

Yeah, the billies are VERY cute. I'm DYING to have one NOW (and probably I will soon - but I keep digressing from the focus on the Luftschiffengel  Roll Eyes ).  I even like the Chinese Billie-like version, and it shows that unlike Billies they lined it and added some nice (badly needed) detail on the waist, but the measurements are limited, so there's a risk it might be to tight (I have to fit 84 cm of waist into 80 cm)..  

Kiltmakers, on the other hand have zero restrictions on size, even the cheapest acrylic wool sellers on Amazon, both selling from America or Kuwait, not to mention Scotland, which is amazing, if you think about it. But the colours for budget items are extremely limited. I lament not being able to have the Erskine clan to which s part of my family was associated. The male kilt I also want because it'll be practical for the uniform.

I had already measured the length from my thighs to my natural waist (around the last rib above the belly button) some moths ago in trying to find the right length for the skirt.  At 14 inches it is firmly in micro-mini territory (the skorts I own are 12 inches but with a low-rise waist line). At 16 inches it is a regular mini, at 20 inches it starts looking like a Channel, but still 2 inches above the knee, and at 24 it is already below the knee and is a full length make kilt length.

I have come to the conclusion that to display my thighs, I need the 16 inch variety - I have a rather short torso, it seems. Even micro-minis like the skorts I have don't seem so short anymore (nothing like buying to learn your sizes  Grin).

And I just found a lot more sueded and real suede shorts and skirts at Forever 21, even a couple of skorts.  All of it below $30 (!).  Apparently, the suede shorts are in season...

Real suede
http://www.forever21.com/EU/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottom_shorts&ProductID=2000147269&VariantID=&lang=en-US

Faux suede
http://www.forever21.com/EU/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottom_shorts&ProductID=2000178908&VariantID=&lang=en-US

http://www.forever21.com/EU/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottom_shorts&ProductID=2000181790&VariantID=&lang=en-US

And there are several faux-suede skirts

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottoms_skirt-mini&ProductID=2000182284

One in rust tone with front flush pockets
http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottoms_skirt-mini&ProductID=2000145340

And one in rust coloured corduroy
http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottoms_skirt-mini&ProductID=2000147090

And outside of khaki and rust there are olive green military looking ones:
http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=bottoms_skirt-mini&ProductID=2000142778

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 08:16:05 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2365 on: February 22, 2016, 11:30:36 am »

Dear Queercogs:

The month of March is upon us, and the nearly 2 week South by Southwest (SWSW 2016) festival is around the corner. This includes live music and film marathons, with 1000s of participating bands from around the world, vendors, film professionals, computer industry folk, and various hotels around town filled with conventions. This year it will from around the 11th of the month to the 20th (add a couple of days prior and after that for "unofficial" events).

http://www.sxsw.com/

Naturally I was thinking about selling my wares in person, walking the streets downtown and mingling with computer/gaming industry professionals as well as musical instrument makers. Taking the Victorian Boombox along is a major undertaking, due to its size and weight,  but I know of no better way to pull people's eyes. Phone cases are too small to be seen by the public, so I haul the behemoth every year if I can.

http://j-wilhelm.deviantart.com/art/Victorian-Boombox-V1-5-281803687

Another thought for consideration was the choice of wearing Steampunk attire or just "civilian" clothing as it were. Weather and the density of people in the street are major factors in that decision. Nearly an area of 10 city blocks around Downtown is closed to traffic for this event, and that means as an attendee you will be walking a long distance in an ocean of people, often in mild heat during the day, and cool weather as soon as the sun goes down.

Last year I could not go.  I simply didn't have the money or time to go to SWSW, and unlike this year I had no wooden cases ready-made. But this year I can muster a few wood cases on my back. I'm debating about taking the Boombox.

Theoretically, if I spent some money right now, I could put together a spartan version of a Luftschiffengel getup. Mind you – I have no significant money to spare, so it's theoretical.  But I might be able to do something if I can find super-inexpensive tops (at least my cases are made).

Basically I have 20 days to do something other than just making my cases,.  Online, I have already found very cheap shorts, boots, and leggings (all discussed above), so I could just order. But I still need the define the top, corset and shirt/blouse/top. I think I have found some really inexpensive waist cinchers which could be Steampunked and more importantly could be incorporated into  a harness / lederhosen brace setup. Provided I don't insist on an actual Steampunk (i.e. overpriced) corset, I may be able to afford the corset, so then the last item to find is the blouse, or shirt.  However, shopping for it has proven to be difficult, in Chinese sites, due to size availability (I'm XL / size 14 in the US and XXL in China), and price in Western sites (XL Size 14) is usually prohibitive – even for the so-called “career shirts.”

In the meantime, this Winter, I've been buying some everyday wear – unrelated to Steampunk – simply because I need to replace old shirts I've worn out over the years. I have about 15 or so ribbed knit shirts which I love (better than cotton T-shirts), but they're at least 12 years old and some have seen better days. While perusing Forever 21 last month, I bought -on sale- a black ribbed polo shirt for  $8 after discounts, and which is one of those “Gender Neutral” articles of clothing, which I 've talked about.  This has allowed me to wear it at my job a couple of times – surprisingly garnishing a few compliments. Not bad. Grin

http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?br=LOVE21&category=contemporary-main&productid=2000163411

Then on the Chinese websites, while looking for corsets for the Lufschiffengel, I stumbled upon this year's new fad: sleeveless crop knit tops.  The interwebs is full of cropped, knitted quasi-Halter loop or mocked neck tops. Since the Chinese factories manufacture for Western boutiques like Forever 21 and such, they definitely have their hand on the pulse of fashion (good or bad fashion that is). This time it's halter tops for sweaters, blouses, and bathing suit tops.  “It's a 1990's retro thing” if you believe their claim (I remember the 90's quite clearly, so I must have missed that fad).

Nevertheless, I saw this red knit sleeveless top with turtleneck at Charlotte Russe, which I loved, so I just bought it for $7 after discounts (!)  and I'm still waiting delivery of the red top. Should be ready later today.

http://www.charlotterusse.com/product/Sleeveless-Turtleneck-Top/307103.uts?colorCode=301962395_006

That was easy enough! So it really is possible to buy clothes on very little money, but my problem is that mostly I'm improvising because I can only afford the items on sale.  I depend on specials, discounts, and free-shipping whenever available. So what I buy is whatever I could “pounce” on, so to speak, and not necessarily what I wanted.

It seems to me that if I plan to buy something specific, it's almost invariable that the item will either be expensive, scarce, too small, or all of the above. if I try to plan the outfit in advance, I simply can't afford it, or its not available.  If I manage to put together a Luftschiffengel outfit this year, it will not look how I planned originally, and it will be assembled by way of serendipity... there goes colour coordination.

I have to change my strategy and be more flexible in my thinking (is this how women buy clothes? It's so schizophrenic! I'm learning so much from this experience).

I'll tell you one thing, though: the quality of women's clothing is generally higher, and in some cases much higher than the equivalent article for men. While women's clothing tends to be more expensive in general than men's, it is possible to find sales and discounts, which event-wise, reverse that trend.

Picking “masculine” women's clothing such as the polo shirt above, usually means that I just bought a very high quality item. A thick knitted deep-coloured polo, in synthetic knit very similar to a silk knit, that in the men's department simply doesn't exist. And if it does, then it's worth much much more than I can afford (have you seen the prices of men's silk polo shirts lately? It's stoopid!).

The strategy of buying cross gender clothing has paid off nicely, actually. This cross-dressing business has me looking at many more options and fabrics than I would ever find in the men's aisles.

And It sounds crazy, but I can dial the level of masculinity and femininity quite easily.  For work, I can dress like a guy while wearing all women's clothes! It's crazy! The result is a subtle androgyny that looks good and keeps turning heads and sometimes garnishes me accolades. Don't get me wrong – it's not all easy going. It's a mixed bag.  Some people just plain don't like it, and react by being uncomfortable or turning their eyes away (no insults so far).

I'm starting to feel a bit like David Bowie! He was on to something here! By jobe! I think I've got it! And if you keep reading, it must be some sort of subconscious phenomenon that goes back a couple of years in this thread. The Androgyne Zeitgeist I was hinting at before is much much closer at hand than I thought (Well, Ziggy did come from Mars, yes? And how do we know there wasn't an alternative-history Ziggy who came back to earth in one of those tripod things?)

Anyhow, after staring at those sleeveless/halter tops online for a few weeks, it dawned on me that I had seen that type of halter top before. Do you remember this character?

Well you should Grin I've ranted about this dude for a very long time in this thread. This is Dio Eraclea as visualised by his creator, illustrator Reji “Range” Murata, for the anime Last Exile.

The outfit you see was used in a scene where Dio is abducted and taken back into the mothership by his older sister, the evil Queen (Maestro) Delphine, so that he can participate in the Trial of Agoon, where he fights other noble teens to death, in order to gain access to the "Sword of the Covenant," an Excalibur-like sword/scepter, and guarantee his right to inherit the throne of The Guild from his sister.

The design of the outfit is a very androgyne and Dieselpunk take on 1920s “flapper” women's style. Bobbed hair, Halter top, corset and Gaucho pants.

So I have come around full-circle. Wearing a shingle bob inspired by the same character, I realise that I have taken Dio as a type of “mascot” or perhaps my alter-ego, as I came to appreciate his perfect androgyny, as the model for what I was trying to achieve. And also because I can relate to the character's origins and fit with my aspirations in aeronatical science. To put it simply Dio has become my avatar.

So do you see the corset? And do you see the halter top? Grin What do you say I try to recreate that? From Diesel to Steampunk?  Perhaps a variation on that?  This Luftschiffengel I know is not going to be the way I originally envisioned. Perhaps just go with the flow? Any thoughts?

Through the magic of photoshop...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:59:51 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2366 on: February 22, 2016, 07:04:49 pm »

Dear Admiral Wilhelm,
With respect your photoshopped picture, I think with that corset having the top in metallic gold or copper would look stunning.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2367 on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:04 am »

I had too much free time Saturday night.  Smiley  Grin

Practical Androgyny 101

As usual SXSW approaches with the speed of a locomotive, and I find myself without any money barely one week from the event. I'll be lucky to push my wares this go around - never mind trying to put a costume together...

~ ~ ~

In other news, the other day I found this funny diagram which helped clarify (a bit where I fit in this gender/sex manifold(?)

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Genderbread-Person-3.3-1024x663.jpg

Some people differentiate between gender identity and gender expression, and thus I have to conclude that my gender identity is firmly male (as well as my sexual identity), but my gender expression has a tilt toward the feminine in some very specific aspects and not in others.  This fits or at least doesn't contradict my theory of my expression being of psychological origin, because gender expression correlates less with biology and more with human behaviour according to the Gender Schema theory.

On the other hand this is a catch-22 situation, because the Gender Schema theory is heavily based on human behaviour, is already very old, thus it's thoroughly incomplete as a theory, opening itself to the argument that gender role is exclusively learned - which is not supported by what we know today regarding non binary gender roles in very young children (e.g. age 5).

Nevertheless I read a bit on the Gender Schema theory of the 1970s, and I actually took the Bem Sex-Role Inventory test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_schema_theory
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bem_Sex-Role_Inventory

According to the Bem Sex-Role Inventory, there are four different possible resulting categorizations: masculine, feminine, androgynous and undifferentiated individuals

Those who qualify as androgyne,androgynous have better than median scores on BOTH masculine and feminine (typically binary) gender characteristics. Those who qualify as masculine, rate high on masculine traits but low on feminine traits. That is, in order for you to score positive for androgyne you have to be strongly "ambidextrous," so to speak, as far as your expression and facility toward both gender roles.  If you score below the median for both feminine and masculine then you are "undifferentiated" or better said not sensitive or able to adopt gender roles at all (now we call that agender in the gender identity spectrum, which is somewhat analogous to asexual in the sexual identity spectrum. Otherwise, the opposite would be to be perfectly androgyne or bigender, which I imagine we'd say is roughly analogous to perfect bisexuality).

After taking the test I scored 72 out of 100 masculine points, 76 out of 100 feminine points (basically the same and strongly in either direction), and thus got a 55 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points. That makes me more androgyne than agender. This is very interesting.

Does anyone else care to take the test? You can take it here: http://garote.bdmonkeys.net/bsri.html

Edited for typos
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 01:42:35 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2368 on: March 07, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »

Listen and love
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v3950
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2369 on: March 08, 2016, 04:55:01 am »

Ha, ha!  That's very funny.  Interesting reference/homage to Eddie Izzard,  thanks for posting.  That bit on the transition from "passing" to androgyny is interesting,  though I'd diverge on its relation to a form of "mild gender dysphoria."  

Personally,  I primarily operate on supermarkets  not pharmacies,  but to each his own,  I say.  And he's correct,  the thing about the closet is that it's very dark,  and people can't see how fabulous you look. I'd add, however, that at some point,  if you've been there long enough, you also stop smelling the the mothballs,  and you might develop a mild allergy to Cedar.  Grin

~~~

In other news,  I have resolved to go with my original idea of using the camel coloured Corduroy pants to make the Luftschiffengel shorts.  I bought two pairs last year,  and one of them I only wore a couple of times.  It dawned on me I could just trim them and today I took them to be to be finished at an alterations shop...  Not very cheap,  but they'll do a much better job than I could on my own. Like buying a new pair online,  but the pants were practically new.  I might be able to complete  an outfit in with the red top,  the shorts and long socks I already own,  by just  buying boots and the corset,  which I think will be a focal point.  At a latter time I may opt to buy or make a cropped bolero in Corduroy over the corset to match the shorts.  Not realistic to have it done by this Friday,  but it's a start.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #2370 on: March 08, 2016, 07:03:20 am »

Practical Androgyny 101

Those who qualify as androgyne,androgynous have better than median scores on BOTH masculine and feminine (typically binary) gender characteristics. Those who qualify as masculine, rate high on masculine traits but low on feminine traits. That is, in order for you to score positive for androgyne you have to be strongly "ambidextrous," so to speak, as far as your expression and facility toward both gender roles.  If you score below the median for both feminine and masculine then you are "undifferentiated" or better said not sensitive or able to adopt gender roles at all (now we call that agender in the gender identity spectrum, which is somewhat analogous to asexual in the sexual identity spectrum. Otherwise, the opposite would be to be perfectly androgyne or bigender, which I imagine we'd say is roughly analogous to perfect bisexuality).

After taking the test I scored 72 out of 100 masculine points, 76 out of 100 feminine points (basically the same and strongly in either direction), and thus got a 55 out of 100 androgynous (neutral) points. That makes me more androgyne than agender. This is very interesting.

Does anyone else care to take the test? You can take it here: http://garote.bdmonkeys.net/bsri.html

Greetings My Dear J -
I am fascinated by psy tests; I found the Briggs-Meyers to be extremely useful in helping me to not only understand my "former introverted engineer" self, but also to understand the hated liars and cheats marketing and sales guys, as well as help me change to what I hope is a more balanced person.

Thus it was with interest that I took the test to which you linked . Unfortunately I am too tired by the day job to adequately interpret the results just now...
I scored
80 of 100 masculine pts
60 of 100 feminine
58.33 of 100 androgenous

which puts me as  what?

I do think results can easily be scewed by self-rating, particularly since I am striving to be more Budhist and thus try not to allow myself to excessive traits in any direction. I can only assume this this desire ( even if I am deluding myself) would skew the results - ie I think I only chose a very few "always" or "never" . Plus, grading oneself, isn't  one  prone to rating oneself as one "wants to be" or "Sees oneself" vs the (theoretically) more accurate disinterested 3rd party ....

yhs
prof marbles

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2371 on: March 08, 2016, 08:47:37 am »

*snip*

Greetings My Dear J -
I am fascinated by psy tests; I found the Briggs-Meyers to be extremely useful in helping me to not only understand my "former introverted engineer" self, but also to understand the hated liars and cheats marketing and sales guys, as well as help me change to what I hope is a more balanced person.

Thus it was with interest that I took the test to which you linked . Unfortunately I am too tired by the day job to adequately interpret the results just now...
I scored
80 of 100 masculine pts
60 of 100 feminine
58.33 of 100 androgenous

which puts me as  what?

I do think results can easily be scewed by self-rating, particularly since I am striving to be more Budhist and thus try not to allow myself to excessive traits in any direction. I can only assume this this desire ( even if I am deluding myself) would skew the results - ie I think I only chose a very few "always" or "never" . Plus, grading oneself, isn't  one  prone to rating oneself as one "wants to be" or "Sees oneself" vs the (theoretically) more accurate disinterested 3rd party ....

yhs
prof marbles

Indeed, I have never seen a truly objective psychological test. I was taken aback by my diminutive "feminine" advantage over my masculine side, but realistically that probably means nothing. The questions in this test pigeon-hole you very fast, and what might simply be the result of shyness due to social anxiety disorder, in this test turns into a "feminine trait" (I can think of several questions that act in this precise way). One has to take the test results with a giant grain of salt, and again the test is extremely old now compared to all that we know today.

The problem for me is that while we want to have an all-including all-welcoming holistic approach to the gender/sex spectrum, we are left with a veritable alphabet soup of classification terms, most of which will be outdated in a few years (not to mention etiquette rules and pronouns), while the science is having a really hard time catching up with these ever-changing definitions.

Having genetic, biological and psychological potential causes for all of these sex/gender permutations means that we have too few theories and are very far from actually understanding all of the mechanisms involved. The war of words will ensue while some of us struggle to find a place of our own.  

Sometimes I get fed up by all the meaningless jargon. I just want to be myself, I'm not so interested in classifications...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:09:42 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2372 on: March 08, 2016, 07:14:27 pm »

Practical Androgyny 101

As usual SXSW approaches with the speed of a locomotive, and I find myself without any money barely one week from the event. I'll be lucky to push my wares this go around - never mind trying to put a costume together...

(snip)

Always fun to have a dress up and photo session! I see you when with the halter neck style; nice colour and it should look really good with the rest of the outfit - good to hear it is coming together.

As to the survey, for me 75 fem points, 68 male, but Prof. Marvel is absolutely right; that fact you know the nature of the survey can itself really skew the results. How much do you answer as your 'ideal' self as opposed to your 'real' self? (Yes, of course I'm gentle and patient, and will you please stop bothering me while I'm taking this survey! Now, where was I...?  Wink)

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2373 on: March 08, 2016, 09:06:14 pm »

Always fun to have a dress up and photo session! I see you when with the halter neck style; nice colour and it should look really good with the rest of the outfit - good to hear it is coming together.

As to the survey, for me 75 fem points, 68 male, but Prof. Marvel is absolutely right; that fact you know the nature of the survey can itself really skew the results. How much do you answer as your 'ideal' self as opposed to your 'real' self? (Yes, of course I'm gentle and patient, and will you please stop bothering me while I'm taking this survey! Now, where was I...?  Wink)

Yours,
Miranda.

Funny,  the thing is I "made"  the halter by tieing a shoe lace around the shoulders of the red sleeveless top from Charlotte Russe:

http://www.charlotterusse.com/product/Sleeveless-Turtleneck-Top/307103.uts?colorCode=301962395_006

Grin  The black shoelace goes around, the neck, acts like a choker, tied at the front, and is tied with a metal chromed ring from a pen,  and the ring is part of an old computer hard drive.   Grin  I'm working on a much heftier ring made from a ball bearing.  I'm just thinking about the heat. We had no winter,  and it seems to me it will be hot this March.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:07:50 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2374 on: April 10, 2016, 06:10:10 pm »

Greetings and salutations! I return from yet another long-standing disappearance (I'm good at those!). I am alive, and the rumors of my death are untrue!

J. Wilhelm, you look fabulous in the halter-top look <3

I wish I could draw to save my life, because I'd love to do some type of artists rendition of what I have in mind for the three (yes, three! o_o) costumes I am sloooooooowly working on. Things have been slow, and I am trying to get all the things together (and a pattern, because I lost mine O_O) for my smoking cap project, as I will be hand-embroidering it.

Figured you all might like to hear from me Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: