The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 10:01:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 144998 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2325 on: November 21, 2015, 10:43:07 pm »

Ooh, Manchester Concord - is that still run by 'Mary the legs'? Now that's a girl who can carry off a micro-mini skirt. We love Whitby, and tend to go up for the April event. My outfit for the last one is here http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.msg935113.html#msg935113 but unfortunately the weather was so awful on the Saturday I didn't really get much chance to show it off, and the Sunday I can't really 'dress' as that's going home day. I'm afraid the link didn't work though, sorry.

Yours,
Miranda.

Yes indeed, Mary is still the main face (or should I say legs?). 
We managed to avoid all the horrible weather on the Saturday last April as we were guests at a Goth Transvestite Wedding, (at the Registry Office thankfully not up at the Abbey).  There's a YouTube clip of that as well but until I can work out how to put a link on properly I'll leave it to your imagination; if you want to search I think something like the 'Wedding of Yasmine and Karen' would find it.  if you do we're in there, Susie red and black brocade with black top hat and me sitting next to her in wine brocade with a wine top hat. (I really must work out this links thing).
Your outfit looked good, pity you didn't get much chance to show it off!
We already have a flat booked for next year and will be there all Friday, Saturday and Sunday so we get lots of 'promenading' time (weather permitting). Perhaps we could meet to say hello in person if you are there.

Yours
Cora

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2326 on: November 23, 2015, 07:21:24 pm »

Ooh, Manchester Concord - is that still run by 'Mary the legs'? Now that's a girl who can carry off a micro-mini skirt. We love Whitby, and tend to go up for the April event. My outfit for the last one is here http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.msg935113.html#msg935113 but unfortunately the weather was so awful on the Saturday I didn't really get much chance to show it off, and the Sunday I can't really 'dress' as that's going home day. I'm afraid the link didn't work though, sorry.

Yours,
Miranda.

Yes indeed, Mary is still the main face (or should I say legs?). 
We managed to avoid all the horrible weather on the Saturday last April as we were guests at a Goth Transvestite Wedding, (at the Registry Office thankfully not up at the Abbey).  There's a YouTube clip of that as well but until I can work out how to put a link on properly I'll leave it to your imagination; if you want to search I think something like the 'Wedding of Yasmine and Karen' would find it.  if you do we're in there, Susie red and black brocade with black top hat and me sitting next to her in wine brocade with a wine top hat. (I really must work out this links thing).
Your outfit looked good, pity you didn't get much chance to show it off!
We already have a flat booked for next year and will be there all Friday, Saturday and Sunday so we get lots of 'promenading' time (weather permitting). Perhaps we could meet to say hello in person if you are there.

Yours
Cora

We did see you up at the Abbey on the Sunday last year - but as mentioned I was stuck in 'drab' as we had to head home later in the afternoon and feeling immensely jealous of everyone's outfits. I did like your elegant coordinating outfits, and the wedding looks like it was a rather spiffing affair.

I need to book up for this coming April next weekend - we stay at  very nice hotel in Robin Hoods Bay. So, all being well, see you there - I just hope for once the weather, for once, actually behaves like it should do in late spring!

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2327 on: November 25, 2015, 09:41:41 pm »

I just hope for once the weather, for once, actually behaves like it should do in late spring!

Yours,
Miranda.

It's England,
It's April,
It's 'orrible!

Regards
Cora
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2328 on: November 29, 2015, 07:16:15 am »

And order it at least two sizes larger than one really is!!!
It does look good though.

Just showed my husband the shorts-skirt and he's quite envious, and so am I - a really short skirt that it's safe to bend down in.

Nice again and I see your thinking on this. I was about to say how short that was, until the 'skOrt' bit sank in. Saying that, I have one or two skirts that short..

I'm going for to have to play with colours anyway because some great looking items are gray and others are brown and Navy.  As far as sizes I'm going off hip measurements in cm for low-rise bottoms,  and shoulder measurements for tops, as opposed to following standard sizes,  Chinese, American, European or otherwise.  It seems Chinese sellers have this issue constantly and they have taken the initiative to measure their garments,  so you do your own conversion.  In most cases I end up being XXL  or XXXL in Chinese sizes, which is equivalent to XL and XXL in US sizes. Otherwise I'm standard Size 12(US) for low rise bottoms and XL (US)  for tops.

Naturally you'd want to be as demure as possible when bending down,  but airship mechanics get caught up in all sorts of situations  Roll Eyes

Perhaps skorts should be called "training wheels" for non-skirt wearers?  Roll Eyes

Wee! The skorts arrived today!! They're awesome.  Very comfortable and fit just perfectly. They are lined with a satin-like rayon, and their colour tone is darker than the commercial photo shown before.  Less of a heather and more of a dark solid charcoal tone with a slight hint of metallic (probably the rayon blend in wool). The quality of the wool is good, but the accessory belt is trash.  Do yourself a favour and toss the one in the package to the garbage bin, and get a nicer belt elsewhere.

Cheesy  Grin  

Guess whose legs are in the spoilered pictures below?  Roll Eyes  I warned you all about them a couple of years ago  Wink

WARNING: Confounding Non-Euclidean geometry, reality bending pictures ahead! Hopefully agreeable to the intrepid observer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes these are my legs.  Smiley  In the full-thigh high knitted socks from Sock Dreams. These legs are working for me; they're my sole mode of transportation aside the occasional bus, and they've been waiting to say hi! They got a little more fierce after walking 5 miles every day (including a hill climb along the way).  I guess exercise is good Grin

Sorry for the extreme crop on the pictures. I have to work a bit on my midriff, as I have put on a few pounds since last year.  Nothing too bad.  A very thin bicycle tyre of fat, maybe 5-7 lbs, but even without the fat, the waist on the skorts is still low enough that my trunk will be very straight looking, and I will definitely want to create an optical effect.  My idea is to wear a black cincher above the skirt.  I'm thinking a black cincher paired with a bolero/cropped shrug jacket in contrasting colours (in this case it'd a grey jacket), which will create a nice effect, similar to the one achieved by Keira Knightley's famous black and white Chanel dress, which gave her an android-like tiny waist:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/embed/video/1085762.html

The skorts, while very nice, have a very low rise waist, and would actually look nicer, more like a pencil skirt, with a one or two inch taller waistline IMHO. Actually, I'm surprised how much the skirt covers down into the calf of the legs. They're not as short as they appear, but rather it's an artefact of the low waist line and a hem that seems too high.

The low hem also means that my full-length thigh high socks will not show their tops, and any garters will not show either, unless you wear over-the knee length socks/stockings.

I still have a lot of work to do, and it looks like I will be mixing shades of brown, gray and black together for the outfit.  It's just turning out to be that way, because of the availability of nice items online.  I also found a nice pair of boots on my size (11 women's US / 43 Eur), available on both DH Gate and Ali Express.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/winter-boots-2015-fashion-women-boots-shoes-women-casual-ankle-boots-Matte-suede-snow-boots-cotton/2038753420.html

So maybe you guys can help me on further ideas?  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 09:08:49 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2329 on: November 29, 2015, 08:32:59 pm »

Nothing to be ashamed of in those legs my dear, and the skort looks great. Is there any way you can combine the waist cincher (which I think is a brill idea) with a tool belt? Or have loops along the bottom of it to hang things on?
Have fun.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2330 on: November 29, 2015, 10:57:05 pm »

Looking good - and the skorts and socks are working really well together. Not sure about the black for the waist-clincher though; will this have the same effect as the one pictured given that this was black against white? I wonder if a brown would fit in better - might be worthwhile putting some combinations together in the image processor.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2331 on: November 30, 2015, 01:49:05 am »

Looking good - and the skorts and socks are working really well together. Not sure about the black for the waist-clincher though; will this have the same effect as the one pictured given that this was black against white? I wonder if a brown would fit in better - might be worthwhile putting some combinations together in the image processor.

Yours,
Miranda.

Do you mean like a corset, or like a cincher?  Maybe something like this?

Or this?

That is a good question.  It is the colour contrast that achieves the effect.  The darker the "light" colour,  the less effective the optical illusion will be.  But I do know that ideally top and bottom should match and be lighter that the cincher.  I wish they had the skorts in camel,  but it looks like at least grey is universal for most wool items I've seen.

If the grey brown effect doesn't work, I  can always do brown black and get the camel shorts...  

Finding the cropped jacket has turned a bit difficult.  DHGate didn't yield too many results. But I've seen a slightly wider variety in AliExpress. The keywords like "bolero" or "shrug",  which work on Western sites, do not work so well in the Chinese sites.  

Woolen Boleros are hard to find.  There are however other cropped jackets, even for cold weather. Perhaps a play on the aviator theme? Makes sense for airship crew to have clothing commensurate to the low temperatures encountered ( I guess I'm thinking of cold weather due to obvious reasons  Grin ):

If not an aviator jacket, how about a "summer service" jacket in sueded material? And this one comes in both grey and brown...

If I had the sewing skills, I'd crop this further into a bolero and add approprioate patches, nametag and insignia.  In sueded fabric, that red-brown one would look very nice over the black cincher with the brown shorts above.

At least I know I'm consistently XXL for tops and bottoms in Chinese sizes, and I'm stoked I found one pair of shoes in my size...  There is hope,  because I can't afford to buy anything in Western sites.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:44:48 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2332 on: November 30, 2015, 06:49:04 am »

Nothing to be ashamed of in those legs my dear, and the skort looks great. Is there any way you can combine the waist cincher (which I think is a brill idea) with a tool belt? Or have loops along the bottom of it to hang things on?
Have fun.

It looks like that is going to happen anyway. The cincher would be a natural place to hang tools. I had originally thought of having a harness combined with the cincher (presumably for safety reasons while pe4forming airship repairs), and let it be similar to the Lederhosen straps, due to the background history on the Luftschiffengel. Either way, I can't envision NOT having the cincher, for a variety of reasons, practical and aesthetic.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2333 on: November 30, 2015, 09:49:45 am »

By Jupiter! In the name of Zarquon!  Cheesy I knew I had seen that style jacket before, and probably that was what I was thinking of:

Left: Chinese jacket.  Right: Original Battlestar Galactica (1980s TV series) Colonial uniform jacket

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9678189_battlestar-galactica-original-series-warrior-jacket

Susan Lockhart as "Sheeba" in Battlestar Galactica
Cheesy

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:26:22 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2334 on: November 30, 2015, 07:23:43 pm »

Both the corset and the waist-clincher look gorgeous. I think here it will depend just how much 'clinching' you wish for; the waist-clincher will just tuck in the tummy area, whilst the longer corset will also pull in the lower part rib-cage. The latter may be something that would clash with the character you are developing - anything that forces you to breathe more shallowly whilst working at high-altitude may not be the best idea.

The aviator jackets look lovely, and I think they'd be fabulous for 'everyday dressing' (if that in itself is not a contradiction in terms), but would cover up the waist-clincher/corset detail. The 'summer service' jacket does look a bit long too. Making a shrug or cropped jacket isn't too tricky at all - if you have access to a sewing machine. If you do, might this be the time to try a bit of sewing?

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2335 on: November 30, 2015, 11:19:11 pm »

I like both too, but the zipped cincher just shouted 'Mechanic' to me (stylishly).  Perhaps it's just that it looks more 'practical'. Why not have both - one for 'day' use and one for 'dress' uniform.
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2336 on: December 03, 2015, 05:24:40 pm »

Greetings all.

I have been away for a while. I did lurk around here for a bit some time ago but some awful life business took me off track.

However, I am inspired to see you sharing wonderful clothing ideas here and I would like to share with you an outfit I have nearly completed, which I hope you will appreciate. There aren't many people I can share it with that won't ask me why I want to wear it. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm just waiting for one final piece to arrive in the post, then I will try to take some photos of the complete look. I feel like I have been waiting years, but it has only been a few days!

"Let us return to the past; it will be progress." ~ Giuseppe Verdi

www.ziazan.co.uk
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2337 on: December 04, 2015, 08:53:02 pm »

Greetings all.

I have been away for a while. I did lurk around here for a bit some time ago but some awful life business took me off track.

However, I am inspired to see you sharing wonderful clothing ideas here and I would like to share with you an outfit I have nearly completed, which I hope you will appreciate. There aren't many people I can share it with that won't ask me why I want to wear it. I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm just waiting for one final piece to arrive in the post, then I will try to take some photos of the complete look. I feel like I have been waiting years, but it has only been a few days!

Welcome back to the forum! Work forward to see what you post! As usual my own progress is slow and tortuous.  But I know I'll try to get something hopefully before Christmas. Individually the pieces are cheap, but collectively it adds up rather quickly.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2338 on: December 05, 2015, 03:30:21 pm »

I don't think this one has been mentioned yet, and may be of interest to readers here. The Danish Girl is a film dramatising Einar Wegener's (as played by Eddie Redmayne) journey to undertaking the first gender reassignment surgery in the 1920s. I've just seen clips so far but I may actually get to see this one as my eldest is interested in it.

Yours,
Miranda.
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2339 on: December 05, 2015, 11:32:14 pm »

Welcome back to the forum! Work forward to see what you post! As usual my own progress is slow and tortuous.  But I know I'll try to get something hopefully before Christmas. Individually the pieces are cheap, but collectively it adds up rather quickly.

I know exactly what you mean. I traded some old skirts for half my outfit, and the rest I decided it was worth spending a bit on. And it was worth it because...

It arrived today... my moustache! I was wrong to say I've been waiting only a few days for it — I've been waiting all my life! But I haven't been able to try it on properly because work and then people took up all my day. I can't stop picking it up and toying with it so much I'm worried it's going to fall apart. Tomorrow, tomorrow hopefully there will be photos!
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2340 on: December 05, 2015, 11:37:14 pm »

I think The Danish Girl is due to be released at New Year. Do I have that right? I'm very excited to see it.

http://youtu.be/d88APYIGkjk
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2341 on: December 06, 2015, 01:39:22 am »

I think The Danish Girl is due to be released at New Year. Do I have that right? I'm very excited to see it.

On this side of the pond, it was released on the 27 of November.  I confess I'm intrigued
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2342 on: December 06, 2015, 03:24:11 pm »

I though it was out already - certainly there has been some hoo-hah around it (actors being interviewed in the arts sections of the news programmes etc.) Oh, and Admiral Wlhelm too - if you have access to UK Channel 4's online player you may wish to look up the recent programme 'The Sex Change Spitfire Ace'. As per usual, a little sensationally titled, but actually a decent account the the UK's first M to F gender reassignment and the first ever F to M one.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. oh yes SteamFeary - pictures please!  Cheesy
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2343 on: December 06, 2015, 07:40:40 pm »

Ah. I realise I don't know how to upload photos...
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2344 on: December 06, 2015, 10:43:11 pm »

The image must be stored outside of the Brassgoggles server, on an image hosting service, like image shack or photobucket. Then you will use the image buttons above or manually type the commands
Code:
[img]
and
Code:
[/img]
 around the URL for you image.  For example,  say you have an image called "frogs. jpg"  stored on image shack.  Then you'd write:

Code:
[img]www.imageshack.com/frogs. jpg[/img]

I like to post the image to my Twitter account,  and it gets stored in Twitpic (pbs.twimg.com) by default.  The line on Brassgoggles below:

Code:
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLnh5jsUcAAtMcj.png[/img]

Shows as:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:47:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2345 on: December 06, 2015, 11:28:16 pm »

Just to add to Admiral Wilhelm's reply, if you need to sign up to a photo hosting service I can recommend imgur (imgur.com); free to sign up to, you can make your pictures private and very easy to link to from Bass Goggles.

Yours,
Miranda.
SteamFaery
Gunner

Raider of the Lost Art

« Reply #2346 on: December 06, 2015, 11:40:47 pm »

Aha! I see! Now I could try to pass that off as just part of the build up to the grand reveal but I admit I just haven't quite caught up with the 21st century.. Is it the 21st already? My, doesn't time fly!

Thank you for your assistance.

So, without further ado, here are the images promised. One I have 'aged', as you see, and another to show the look in full colour. What do you think?

I would love to steampunk it up with details like a good time piece and a mechanical-type buttonhole. Do you have any ideas?

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2347 on: December 07, 2015, 12:01:35 am »

Aha! I see! Now I could try to pass that off as just part of the build up to the grand reveal but I admit I just haven't quite caught up with the 21st century.. Is it the 21st already? My, doesn't time fly!

So, without further ado, here are the images promised. One I have 'aged', as you see, and another to show the look in full colour. What do you think?

I would love to steampunk it up with details like a good time piece and a mechanical-type buttonhole. Do you have any ideas?

Very dapper! That is cutting quite a dash..

Hmm yes, Steampunked with the addition of a fancy watch-chain and maybe an excessively elaborate time-piece on the end, the sort with multiple dials. On the other end could be balanced by say an ornate compass or time-manipulation device. By the way, if you fancy a Steampunked cane you may wish to look at Kevin C Cooper's ones over in Trading.

Yours,
Miranda.
Alva Maria
Officer

« Reply #2348 on: December 07, 2015, 12:13:27 am »

(cut)

Astoundingly handsome!

Nothing really comes to mind as far as 'steaming it up' oes, but i'm sure others have more creative minds at the moment than i do -u-
(sewing an entire outfit for an event in one week does nothing for a person's mental well-being, let me tell you)
Alexis Voltaire
Rogue Ætherlord

Shàlle We Dànce?

« Reply #2349 on: December 07, 2015, 02:06:43 am »

SteamFaery that looks really terrific! I'm envious of the moustache. Cool

(sewing an entire outfit for an event in one week does nothing for a person's mental well-being, let me tell you)

*Gibbers in agreement*

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: