The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:51:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 144884 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2300 on: November 05, 2015, 02:46:02 am »

Is this really an issue worthy of a state-wide plebiscite?
I had always assumed that not peering at the individual standing at the next urinal or using a cubicle was simply common courtesy* even in completely-straight traditional non-unisex establishments, so one wouldn't particularly notice who/what/which was utilising the facilities.

[*even in obvious pick-up joints, there are still moments when quiet contemplation is called for]

Apparently this is an issue that is fought at all levels, local through to global. The levels are, city, county, state, and federal.  I was surprised this would be an argument over a city ordinance, but apparently resistance to liberal Federal laws usually takes place at the lowest levels possible, to gain traction among local concentrations of conservatives.  The flip side is that cities may be liberal, and do the same thing but toward the progressive side (eg San Francisco and Gay Rights as well as Cannabis use). In many ways this is the same grass roots tactics used since the Civil Rights era.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2301 on: November 05, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »

So are they only concerned with 'men' in womens toilets? I would have thought it was far more disconcerting for a man to see a transgender person at a urinal, because lets face it there is nothing to see in the ladies loos - all cubicles. My husband uses the female toilets when (s)he is in femme mode and the male when not.
In Great Britain there does seem to be a lot of positive trans news at the moment, including a recent case where a trans woman successfully appealed that she should not be sent to a male prison just because she was still officially a man as she was living as a female.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2302 on: November 06, 2015, 09:06:24 pm »

Through the magic of Photoshop...

*snip*
...instead of green or brown corduroy we have genuine lederhosen suede shorts. The shirt/blouse is long sleeve, but for Texas, I'm planning a short sleeve shirt with either bubble or cap shoulders.  The colour of the harness may be too dark and red in this picture; on the other hand I could incorporate burgundy in a black-burgundy-khaki-white colour pattern.

*snip*

This time I actually borrowed the thigh high socks, boots and spats directly from Kato's romper. This gives you a better idea of what I *think* I'm going.  Definitely looks better.

(snip)
Thank you for your comments, Mr. Angus. I definitely need to continue working on photos, and still have to finish the Luftshiffengel project, but somehow the Chinese thing got in the way, at the spur of the moment. Seamless, unforced, natural adrogyny, as the fictional character Dio inspired on me, remains a focus of mine.
(snip)

Dear Admiral Wilhlem,
In just over months time we have one of the year's major festivals - is that not an auspicious time to debut the Luftshiffengel?

Yours,
Miranda.

Eureka! How about woolen shorts?  Seems that people in Korea and China have a penchant for thick woolen shorts and skorts...

http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-wool-blend-hot-pink-mini-line-ruffled/210515374.html#s1-23-1b|3279211379

As in last year, it may be too late for Halloween, but I have found a perfect substitute for those pesky Shorts I never made from those pants  Grin

So, how's your knitting?  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
changing the  subject a bit,  I have another little problem and need a bit of inspiration.  With my hair - which I love - I've noticed that  I spend an enormous amount of time keeping it straight.  As I have to  walk up to 5 miles per day, in sometimes heavy wind,  I developed this combination hold gel and conditioner method,  which works well enough. 

But during storms that is not enough,  and the hair,  as nice as it is,  turns into a pain in the posterior to handle.

It just seems to me this would be an issue for an real life airship mechanic.  For God's sake! You are subjected to the wind all the time!  It occurs to me that perhaps two side hair clips,  maybe in the shape of wings would come in handy for a Shingle Bob... Any ideas?
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2303 on: November 06, 2015, 09:50:29 pm »

So are they only concerned with 'men' in womens toilets? I would have thought it was far more disconcerting for a man to see a transgender person at a urinal, because lets face it there is nothing to see in the ladies loos - all cubicles. My husband uses the female toilets when (s)he is in femme mode and the male when not.
In Great Britain there does seem to be a lot of positive trans news at the moment, including a recent case where a trans woman successfully appealed that she should not be sent to a male prison just because she was still officially a man as she was living as a female.

It does make you glad things are a bit more liberal over here. Store changing rooms too - the big ones have a very progressive policy towards trans persons.

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2304 on: November 06, 2015, 09:52:55 pm »

Through the magic of Photoshop...

*snip*
...instead of green or brown corduroy we have genuine lederhosen suede shorts. The shirt/blouse is long sleeve, but for Texas, I'm planning a short sleeve shirt with either bubble or cap shoulders.  The colour of the harness may be too dark and red in this picture; on the other hand I could incorporate burgundy in a black-burgundy-khaki-white colour pattern.

*snip*

This time I actually borrowed the thigh high socks, boots and spats directly from Kato's romper. This gives you a better idea of what I *think* I'm going.  Definitely looks better.

(snip)
Thank you for your comments, Mr. Angus. I definitely need to continue working on photos, and still have to finish the Luftshiffengel project, but somehow the Chinese thing got in the way, at the spur of the moment. Seamless, unforced, natural adrogyny, as the fictional character Dio inspired on me, remains a focus of mine.
(snip)

Dear Admiral Wilhlem,
In just over months time we have one of the year's major festivals - is that not an auspicious time to debut the Luftshiffengel?

Yours,
Miranda.

Eureka! How about woolen shorts?  Seems that people in Korea and China have a penchant for thick woolen shorts and skorts...

http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-wool-blend-hot-pink-mini-line-ruffled/210515374.html#s1-23-1b|3279211379

As in last year, it may be too late for Halloween, but I have found a perfect substitute for those pesky Shorts I never made from those pants  Grin

So, how's your knitting?  Wink

Yours,
Miranda.
changing the  subject a bit,  I have another little problem and need a bit of inspiration.  With my hair - which I love - I've noticed that  I spend an enormous amount of time keeping it straight.  As I have to  walk up to 5 miles per day, in sometimes heavy wind,  I developed this combination hold gel and conditioner method,  which works well enough. 

But during storms that is not enough,  and the hair,  as nice as it is,  turns into a pain in the posterior to handle.

It just seems to me this would be an issue for an real life airship mechanic.  For God's sake! You are subjected to the wind all the time!  It occurs to me that perhaps two side hair clips,  maybe in the shape of wings would come in handy for a Shingle Bob... Any ideas?

Sounds like a nice idea - I'm seeing art-deco style with black rhinestones.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2305 on: November 07, 2015, 05:54:22 am »

It does make you glad things are a bit more liberal over here. Store changing rooms too - the big ones have a very progressive policy towards trans persons.

Yours,
Miranda.

We just started with gender neutral bathrooms in some establishments, like Starbuck's Coffee here in Austin.  But I'm unsure how much of that is company policy and how much is city ordinance. especially because the ones I know are single occupancy bathrooms (which basically makes them gender neutral just in name - the real test is multiple occupancy bathrooms).  I suspect that the gender neutral bathrooms can't go against city ordinance.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2306 on: November 07, 2015, 07:20:27 am »

Sounds like a nice idea - I'm seeing art-deco style with black rhinestones.

Yours,
Miranda.

Same here. I think Art Deco is a must, or some variation/hybrid between Art Nouveau and Art Deco - which while different, they do have a bit of crossover, especially in the Japanese Early 20th. C. tradition.

What I could do for a immigrant Engelfolk in America is hold on to the Native "Thunderbird" motif for the details.  This can be traced back to late Victorian and Edwardian periods by way of architectural styles, such as Frank Lloyd Wright's "Prarie School" style which was full of Native American geometric motifs.  Certaily goes back to the turn of the century.

There wera a lot of head caps and bucket/"cloche" caps in the 1920's and a fair number of wide "quasi-Native American" head bands, complete with feathers, and dream-catchers (it is amazing the things one discovers on the Internet)

http://www.unique-vintage.com/flapper/flapper-accessories.html
https://www.pinterest.com/explore/1920s-hair-accessories/

But I wasn't really looking for a head band - though I find it intriguing how it could be adapted..

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/376543218824238116/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/376543218824238116/

Vasant - noble woman and military female character in Last Exile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Princess Liliana - female character in Last Exile
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A military version of a bucket cap is a possibility, as well as an aviator -style cap - for obvious reasons.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/152559506105049065/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/252694229069702884/
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2307 on: November 09, 2015, 12:53:31 am »

I just had an idea. Is there such a thing as a magnetic barrette (hair clasp)? I got the idea from the new magnetic name tags worn by corporate employees. Perhaps some magnetic wing shaped barrettes?  

The reason I write this is because I noticed that cheap French style barrettes and derivatives are damaging to hair (this is my natural hair after all) ,  and they force the hair between sharp edges.  Without sharp edges you can simply sandwich the hair between two flat surfaces. Maybe adding neoprene for cushioning and friction.

Although weight is a consideration, I used to make these decorative art Deco "wings" made by embedding a row of brass or aluminium rods in epoxic putty and then sanding to leave a smooth surface of alternating metal and non metal bands forming the "feathers. "  Finally, I'd sharply cut the wing at a 45° angle on each side. On the centre I placed an iron cross (which turned out to be controversial with some folks who didn't know the origin and usage of the iron cross).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 01:01:29 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2308 on: November 09, 2015, 08:06:16 pm »

I just had an idea. Is there such a thing as a magnetic barrette (hair clasp)? I got the idea from the new magnetic name tags worn by corporate employees. Perhaps some magnetic wing shaped barrettes?  

The reason I write this is because I noticed that cheap French style barrettes and derivatives are damaging to hair (this is my natural hair after all) ,  and they force the hair between sharp edges.  Without sharp edges you can simply sandwich the hair between two flat surfaces. Maybe adding neoprene for cushioning and friction.

Although weight is a consideration, I used to make these decorative art Deco "wings" made by embedding a row of brass or aluminium rods in epoxic putty and then sanding to leave a smooth surface of alternating metal and non metal bands forming the "feathers. "  Finally, I'd sharply cut the wing at a 45° angle on each side. On the centre I placed an iron cross (which turned out to be controversial with some folks who didn't know the origin and usage of the iron cross).

Sounds possible - but I think I'd still be worried about weight. As another possibility, what about placing the wings on either side of a hair-band? (The band itself could be hidden under the hair).

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2309 on: November 10, 2015, 03:50:34 am »

Sounds possible - but I think I'd still be worried about weight. As another possibility, what about placing the wings on either side of a hair-band? (The band itself could be hidden under the hair).

Yours,
Miranda.

This call for some experimentation on my part. How feasible it is, depends on how strong the magnets are. The band would resolve the weight problem,  but I can also play with materials.  There is no need to use brass rods or anything like that, I'd I can substitute for other materials like wood dowels, or alternating strips of wood,  like balsa or basswood, and the magnets can be very small.  The band or backing plates can be very thin steel,  which is easy to obtain. I have a feeling I can make them very light.

Ooh!  I just had an inspiration.  I've experimented with Precious Metal Clay before.  Silver PMC also comes in sheets,  and is significantly lighter than sold silver.  There is also brass and bronze,  and gold, but I'm not that wealthy. The easiest is silver PMC.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/400820435557569929/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:06:19 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2310 on: November 10, 2015, 09:57:45 pm »

Neodymium magnets are incredibly strong - don't put 'em near a credit card.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2311 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:54 pm »

Am I the only one seeing steamy potential to this coat?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Woolen-Blends-Winter-Autumn-Jackets-and-Coats-Outwear-Double-Breasted-Female-Overcoat-Wool-Coat-for-Women/32464822280.html?spm=2114.01010108.3.161.TOS1XW&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

The reviews are not so good, but then again we're talking about Chinese stuff.  I know by default I'd have to re-sew the buttons at least  Grin

Also I just bought this little number. I'll gamble a few dollars on it Cheesy They're actually skorts, and I'm also seeing some sort of Airship mechanic's utility belt apron/skirt/shorts coming out of it

I saw it in the window and couldn’t resist  Grin

Gone With The Wind Parody - Carol Burnett

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:15:01 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2312 on: November 19, 2015, 07:31:32 pm »

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Woolen-Blends-Winter-Autumn-Jackets-and-Coats-Outwear-Double-Breasted-Female-Overcoat-Wool-Coat-for-Women/32464822280.html?spm=2114.01010108.3.161.TOS1XW&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9_79_78_77_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

The reviews are not so good, but then again we're talking about Chinese stuff.  I know by default I'd have to re-sew the buttons at least  Grin

(snip)

It certainly looks very smart - a bit of braiding and some really nice butons and it could be rather special. Maybe put some darts into the 'skirt' section in a contrasting material, in say red or purple, or as a lining under the collar.

Also I just bought this little number. I'll gamble a few dollars on it Cheesy They're actually skorts, and I'm also seeing some sort of Airship mechanic's utility belt apron/skirt/shorts coming out of it

I saw it in the window and couldn’t resist  Grin

(snip)

Nice again and I see your thinking on this. I was about to say how short that was, until the 'skOrt' bit sank in. Saying that, I have one or two skirts that short... Roll Eyes

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2313 on: November 19, 2015, 07:38:52 pm »

And order it at least two sizes larger than one really is!!!
It does look good though.

Just showed my husband the shorts-skirt and he's quite envious, and so am I - a really short skirt that it's safe to bend down in.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2314 on: November 19, 2015, 08:07:21 pm »

Just showed my husband the shorts-skirt and he's quite envious, and so am I - a really short skirt that it's safe to bend down in.

But surely in a short skirt one does not bend at the waist, but rather at the knees  Wink (And then in my case wobble whilst trying to stand back up as I've chosen to wear impractically high heels...)

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2315 on: November 19, 2015, 08:26:52 pm »

But surely in a short skirt one does not bend at the waist, but rather at the knees  Wink (And then in my case wobble whilst trying to stand back up as I've chosen to wear impractically high heels...)

Yours,
Miranda.

With me it's not the bending down (even at the knees) it's the standing up with dignity - and that's without 'impractically' high heels.  I leave them to my other half who wears them with ease ... curses!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2316 on: November 19, 2015, 08:38:41 pm »

But surely in a short skirt one does not bend at the waist, but rather at the knees  Wink (And then in my case wobble whilst trying to stand back up as I've chosen to wear impractically high heels...)

Yours,
Miranda.

With me it's not the bending down (even at the knees) it's the standing up with dignity - and that's without 'impractically' high heels.  I leave them to my other half who wears them with ease ... curses!

Just out of interest, have you ever been along to any of the 'dos' organised by the UK TG groups (Beaumont or Northern Concord)? Just on the off-chance our paths may have crossed at some point in the past. Not that we've been to events since the children were quite little, and that's about eight years or so now.

Yours,
Miranda.

J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2317 on: November 19, 2015, 09:01:57 pm »

Nice again and I see your thinking on this. I was about to say how short that was, until the 'skOrt' bit sank in. Saying that, I have one or two skirts that short..

I'm going for to have to play with colours anyway because some great looking items are gray and others are brown and Navy.  As far as sizes I'm going off hip measurements in cm for low-rise bottoms,  and shoulder measurements for tops, as opposed to following standard sizes,  Chinese, American, European or otherwise.  It seems Chinese sellers have this issue constantly and they have taken the initiative to measure their garments,  so you do your own conversion.  In most cases I end up being XXL  or XXXL in Chinese sizes, which is equivalent to XL and XXL in US sizes. Otherwise I'm standard Size 12(US) for low rise bottoms and XL (US)  for tops.

Naturally you'd want to be as demure as possible when bending down,  but airship mechanics get caught up in all sorts of situations  Roll Eyes

Perhaps skorts should be called "training wheels" for non-skirt wearers?  Roll Eyes
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #2318 on: November 19, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »

Just out of interest, have you ever been along to any of the 'dos' organised by the UK TG groups (Beaumont or Northern Concord)? Just on the off-chance our paths may have crossed at some point in the past. Not that we've been to events since the children were quite little, and that's about eight years or so now.

Yours,
Miranda.

Susie has been dressing for about six years now and told me almost straight away - that was a shock I can tell you as we'd been together for seventeen years at that point - but after a little thought I knew I couldn't deny him something that gave him so much pleasure and calm. Susie comes out to play a couple times a month and has become a friend; the rest of the time I have my darling husband.  We occasionally go to Manchester Concord, have been to Sparkle for the last 5 or 6 years and it's always Susie and me who go to Whitby Goth Weekend twice a year, although at other steampunk events she tends to be in male mode.  
If you look on You tube for ][url=http://Rose's@Whitby Goth Weekend April 2015]you will see us both - good shot at 06:54, me in mauve, Susie in wine. (I hope I've put that link in properly). I know a lot of T-girls do go to Whitby so perhaps we've seen each other there?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:55:39 pm by Cora Courcelle » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2319 on: November 20, 2015, 06:39:54 am »

It certainly looks very smart - a bit of braiding and some really nice butons and it could be rather special. Maybe put some darts into the 'skirt' section in a contrasting material, in say red or purple, or as a lining under the collar.

There only a few details that could be added.  The proper insignia, for example can be obtained for an admiral.  The only thing is, it only comes in black, brow, or red.  I would have to feneagle a brown colour but for Airship Command?  I'm more likely to see black as a proper colour.  I don't know much military history in that sense, but brown would definitely be a colour for the battle ground, much in the same way that US uniforms largely switched to browns after the forst Desert Storm campaign.  Maybe brown was introduced during the Franco American Aerial War over the Sonora Desert?

Brown could be a dress coat for the Engineering division, where where the Luftschiffenegel were located in the structure.  Black would be suitable for Artillery and Navigation officers and enlisted personnel.

Perhaps epaulettes are too antiquated for the Gilded Age era Wilhelm, and Russian Knots (gold) or Shoulder Boards (black and gold) are used instead, especially after 1872.  Since I don't know exactly when the "Franco American War" took place, other than it must be past 1865 (when the real US Civil War ended), then I may assume that post 1872 uniforms are appropriate.

Uniforms and Insignia:
http://www.ushist.com/indian_wars/us_military/uniforms/q-7270_m1872_junior-senior_officers_dress_frockcoat.shtml

http://www.ushist.com/indian_wars/us_military/uniforms/insignia_officer_iw.shtml#iw_shoulder_boards
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #2320 on: November 20, 2015, 02:23:13 pm »

Well, with a brown coat in an airship, there is also the possibility of a SP Firefly theme.

The skort on a g-fluid chap is an intriguing experiment -not quite a miniskirt not quite shortshorts -kind of reclaiming a bit of fashion off the girls who have appropriated almost every bit of 'male' fashion over the years.
And if you get your usual 'texas-troubles', you can always tell the rednecks that the skort-front is to stop the straight guys checking out your talents when you wear guy shorts...
 Wink

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2321 on: November 20, 2015, 08:21:47 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Susie has been dressing for about six years now and told me almost straight away - that was a shock I can tell you as we'd been together for seventeen years at that point - but after a little thought I knew I couldn't deny him something that gave him so much pleasure and calm. Susie comes out to play a couple times a month and has become a friend; the rest of the time I have my darling husband.  We occasionally go to Manchester Concord, have been to Sparkle for the last 5 or 6 years and it's always Susie and me who go to Whitby Goth Weekend twice a year, although at other steampunk events she tends to be in male mode.  
If you look on You tube for ][url=http://Rose's@Whitby Goth Weekend April 2015]you will see us both - good shot at 06:54, me in mauve, Susie in wine. (I hope I've put that link in properly). I know a lot of T-girls do go to Whitby so perhaps we've seen each other there?

Ooh, Manchester Concord - is that still run by 'Mary the legs'? Now that's a girl who can carry off a micro-mini skirt. We love Whitby, and tend to go up for the April event. My outfit for the last one is here http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,35457.msg935113.html#msg935113 but unfortunately the weather was so awful on the Saturday I didn't really get much chance to show it off, and the Sunday I can't really 'dress' as that's going home day. I'm afraid the link didn't work though, sorry.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
Immortal

« Reply #2322 on: November 21, 2015, 09:25:59 am »

Here's another pair of skorts which look even more like an apron, but it takes me further away from the Teutonic airship mechanic concept.  They're made of a convincingly sueded material

Link

Right click for larger view

These woolen shorts, on the other hand, have a more appropriate look to what I was looking for:

Links

(Notice many vendors sell the same product within one and all websites)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:21:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2323 on: November 21, 2015, 11:32:05 am »

Here's another pair of skorts which look even more like an apron, but it takes me further away from the Teutonic airship mechanic concept.  They're made of a convincingly sueded material

Link

Right click for larger view

These woolen shorts, on the other hand, have a more appropriate look to what I was looking for:

Links

(Notice many vendors sell the same product within one and all websites)

Those suede-style skorts appear to be pretty good - they already look like they have pockets at the front for tools, and the skirt at the back could be lifted, possibly added to, to make a mini-bustle with further pockets underneath.

Yours,
Miranda.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #2324 on: November 21, 2015, 02:42:34 pm »

It does resemble a tool-belt
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: