The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 01:59:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mechanical School Clock  (Read 1237 times)
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« on: November 21, 2009, 03:15:14 am »

Greetings,

An old School Clock that hung in my parent's Dining room for many years arrived at my house this morning (5 days from the UK to the West coast of the US, I am impressed). 

I reattached the pendulum, hung it on the wall and wound it... It refuses to stay running for more than a few seconds. 

Any suggestions as to what I should do to get it running again?  The mechanism looks clean, I don't know when it was last oiled, if I wound it too much, or...

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:00:35 am »

Probably needs a clean n' lube Smiley
Check the ballance wheel for obstructions, if you'd overwound it, it probably wouldn't tick more than once and the winder would likely spin freely.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:07:11 am »

If it has a pendulum it does not have a balance wheel; they are different types of escapements.  With clocks there really is no such thing as overwound.  It's just a myth people point to when their clock stops running due to the pivots being clogged with gunk and the holes being out of round from wear.  If that's the case a standard service will get it running like new.  If it is to the point of not running just lubing it up is not advisable; that would just loosen the abrasive grit and grind the pivot holes more out of round while damaging the pivots themselves.  A standard service would be a full disassembly, cleaning, polishing pivots and bushing any worn holes.  If the pivots get damaged to the point polishing won't work a re-pivoting job is harder and much more costly.

Before you do that though...make certain that the clock is in beat.  When you start the pendulum swinging does it have an even length comparing tick to tock?  If not try shifting the clock a little to one side and see if it evens out.  If this helps you may need to bend the crutch a bit so the pendulum hangs well with the clock hanging vertically; this sometimes gets out of whack in shipping.  Also check that back to front is correct; if your wall isn't plumb the pendulum could be binding in that direction.
Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:13:41 am »

I timed it, and it runs for a minute before stopping.  The tick/tock sounds even and I levelled it front/back as well as left/right when I hung it.  It sounds like it needs a service then...

I have no idea when it was last serviced...

Thanks for the advice.

Z.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:18 pm »

If it has a pendulum it does not have a balance wheel; they are different types of escapements.
Of course Roll Eyes silly me, I am not thinking straight what with being ill Undecided

With clocks there really is no such thing as overwound.  It's just a myth people point to when their clock stops running due to the pivots being clogged with gunk and the holes being out of round from wear. 
So what do you call it when you wind it so much the mainspring breaks? Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: