The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 10:57:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holography  (Read 2474 times)
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« on: February 28, 2007, 10:48:22 pm »

Has anyone here done any holograph work? Do you have any unusual ideas for working with holographs? What lasers are best? AND does anyone know what's entailed in making ones own plates?

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
hannas_kiwi
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 02:19:07 am »

I haven't done holograms in over 10 years...  you can pull it off with one billiard talble, a 10 mW He-Ne laster, a 90 degree prisim, some mirrors, a home darkroom and Kodak hologram film + hologram development chemicals.  Oh, and correction fluid - it's very important to get as much reflected light as possible.

The greatest limitation is removing all vibrations.  A car driving by on the street out front can ruin your hologram shoot.
CuriousGoods
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:20:36 am »

I actually did some holography in college.  I begged one of the physics professors to let me use his optical table to play around.  I had an excellent book that was loaned to me by a physicist friend, I'll try to find the title. 

I used glass plates, and all but one of the successful holograms I made were laser-light viewable only.  I would think that with a hobbyist optical table, white light would be even more difficult to work with.  I was successful with one white-light viewable hologram, but they are much more difficult to have turn out, and even then the image was very dim and ghosted.  The laser holograms were wonderful, and I had a great deal of success with them (except, of course, for the fact that one must have a laser to view them). 

The plates I used were approximately 2" x 2" and I believe they came from Kodak.
hannas_kiwi
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:39:36 am »

I saw some wonderful holograms (Washington DC, maybe 12 years ago or more) taken with an argon pulse-laser.  The most memorable was of a woman laughing while water was splashing around her face.  Each one of the flying drops was captured.

The (plastic) plate was mounted on black velvet and had the laster for image reconstruction hidden in the 'overhead lamp' that some self-lighting picture frames have.
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:32:20 pm »

Ah. I posted quite a bit about holography in the Steampunk PC thread.

About that one with the laughing woman and flying droplets, a pulse-laser was definitely used, basically it's a laser that gives off a tremendous burst of coherent light in a billionth of a second or so, extremely useful for these motion shots and portraiture shots in holography.

I'd be extremely wary of trying any holography upon a billiards table. I'd go the route of building my own isolation table down in the basement or very solid floor (many, many guides how to make one in holography books, buy some, e-bay is your friend). Don't forget to make absolutely sure that there is no other light coming into the room where you're doing the shoot, and of course, the layout of the table and the object is critical - remember that in many cases, get the object as close to the film as possible, that will vastly increase clarity.

Personal experience tells me that the laser pointers and LEDs of nowadays are surprisingly successful at illuminating laser-viewable holograms. Especially laser pointers, these are fantastic.
About the plates thing, you can make your own with *clean* thin plate glass and brushing holographic emulsion (extremely fine silver halide, much finer than normal film emulsion, suspended in gelatin, I think). In the dark or safelit room, of course.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
hannas_kiwi
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:14:48 pm »

OMG.  I could home-brew the slides? 

As for the billiards table - my mates and I chose holography for our secondary school physics project.  The one's father, a civil architect, suggested a suspended table, thus (in his mind) ensuring the system would move as one with any vibrations.  They chose this path against my protests (I wanted a heavy box of sand - the standard home-brew isolator at the time).  By the time they came around, it was far too late for the box of sand, and so I suggested the heavy bit of slate in the basement.  It did work, by the by.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 05:17:49 pm by hannas_kiwi » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: