The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 05:02:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Luch Wristwatch  (Read 1398 times)
Arminius
Swab

United States United States

« on: November 17, 2009, 04:11:13 pm »

Hi, I bought this wristwatch off ebay a couple weeks ago, and it has finally arrived. I have a couple quick questions about it though. First off, how do I set the time on it? The knobby thing on the right seems to wind it, but has no apparent effect on the time, is there a technique, or is it just a matter of waiting till the time matches what is shown on the watch and winding it then? Second, how would I open the back safely? There are some notches that look like it may be just a matter of sliding a knife in and prying it open, is this correct? I'm sorry if these questions sound stupid, but it is the first mechanical watch I've owned, and I don't want to break it.

My phone camera is a piece of crap, so here are some pictures of it from it's ebay page. Externally, it matches these pictures perfectly. As mentioned, I haven't been able to have a look at the mechanism to confirm that it matches, but I see no reason why it won't.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks in advance. Smiley

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:55:01 pm »

Pull the crown out gently to the "setting position" and turn it to move the hands.. (the crown is that knopbby thing on the right).
The back is a screw off back with a retaining ring. Those "notches" are for a case wrench. The wrench tip s fit into the notches, then you gently unscrew the case ring, and lift out the case back.  

If you have ever worn a quartz watch (or any other non-digital watch for that matter), the setting procedure is the same as for them.

FYI.. the movement is a Luch 2209, made either in Belarus (Belarus Luch Plant)if prior to 1975, or the Minsk Watch Factory if after 1975. its a 23 Jewel, manula wind, with a beat of 18,000, based loosely on the Poljot 2409 movement.

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:11:55 pm by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Arminius
Swab

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:37:09 pm »

Success! The only watch I've worn before is a digital Timex Ironman, and the setting procedure for that is a bit different. I never would have thought to pull out the crown a bit. It is now ticking happily at the correct time, thanks a lot!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: