The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 09:15:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUCCESS! Searching for my first pocket watch...What I've learned.  (Read 7911 times)
Jacobi
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 09:42:22 pm »

I have found several watches in the 200-300 range that were serviced by clock makers and came with a 1 year warranty on their work. I also found a few in the 160 range. I ended up paying $150 for mine and am very happy with it. Its a 1908 Elgin open face.

You can find the charles hubert watches at the gentlemans emporium for around $90 iirc. Those come with a lifetime warranty when I was looking at them so that may be an option for you. My only drama with that is I bought my watch so that I could have the same watch for a very long time. Having to send it back and get a replacement if something happened to it was not an option for me so I went with a fully serviced antique. If you would like I can put you in contact with the local watch makers that I was dealing with. I'll even snap some pics of the watches if you'd like.

I think I got very lucky to find the watch I did at the price I paid for it. That said there were 2 other watches that were very in the running right up until the end.

Jac
Inktank
Officer

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 01:38:01 am »

The Charles Hubert on Gent's Emporium has been the one I've been looking at. I've seen it for various prices at other locations though.
I suppose I'm going to go with that one, as I've read some reviews (well, a lot) about it and they seem to be quite decent watches.

Thanks for all the help, though.  Smiley

Modern world, I'm not pleased to meet you;
you just bring me down.
Jacobi
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 02:44:53 am »

If you get it be sure to let us know what you think of it after wearing it for a while. I do like the look of the skeleton watches.

Jac
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 03:57:34 am »

Inktank-was wondering if you did get that watch and how has it performed and your thoughts? Sorry to dig this up,but...I'm looking at several choices w/'cheap' movements to see how crappy/good they can be,thanks.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Abslomrob
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 07:41:11 pm »

The Chinese moments aren't all that bad, these days, but there is a bit of hit and miss to them.  Most of them are decent quality, but the occasional dud slips through.  If you get one and know someone with a watch timer, have them test it out in various positions, and if any of them are really bad, send it back for a new one.  Might take a try or two, but you'll end up with a solid watch.

All my vintages are at http://www.abslomrob.com
Polaris
Snr. Officer

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:25 pm »

There was a seller on etsy called tepusfugit who made some of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen. Unfortunately he's disappeared and taken his beautiful watches with him, so I can't ask him how well they function.... Sad

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
Pike
Snr. Officer

Failed the Turing Test

pikestaff
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 10:11:54 pm »

There was a seller on etsy called tepusfugit who made some of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen. Unfortunately he's disappeared and taken his beautiful watches with him, so I can't ask him how well they function.... Sad

If you are thinking of the same Etsy seller I am thinking of... I believe that person bought watches for cheap and resold them... you can find very similar ones on eBay for quite a steal (search for "skeleton pocket watch").  Because of this I do not know much about their quality, though.

"The law of entropy has been losing steam lately..."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: