The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:03:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Automatons and Steambots  (Read 2988 times)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« on: June 13, 2007, 10:54:44 pm »

I`m curious who knows of any sites,games,etc. that feature robotics in a steampunk setting.
I`m intrigued to see more of my fellow steam-bots.(Although,technically speaking,I`m only partly steam-powered.Mostly a clockwork automaton.)

+K
[Note:I wasn`t particularily sure where to put this.Move it if necessary my dear mods.]

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:59:33 pm »

Well, there is some fiction about a robot called Boilerplate at www.bigredhair.com which seems to have fooled quite a few people.
Also the computer game Drowned God has some kind of clockwork man in it created by Da Vinci, but I never got that far in the game.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Jake of All Trades
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Brass addict, inventor, and scoundrel with a heart

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:41:30 am »

Though the rest of the charactors, setting, etc are not terribly Steampunk, my all time favorite Steambot resides in the land of Tom Strong comics.  "Pneuman" is his name, and he's quite the gentlemanly droid!  His manner of speaking is perhaps his most endearing quality--it is dotted with clicks and hisses, as it operates on the principle of wax cylinders  Grin

"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 01:07:56 am »

The current (10th Dr?) Dr. Who episode "The Girl in the Fireplace" has some stunning clockwork androids

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Steambot
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:23 pm »

Would you care to elaborate on Tom Strong's good friend, Pneuman? I've not read the book but this character intrigues me quite a bit. Maybe a couple of quotes highlighting his method of speaking. And what's this about wax cylinders?

It seems maybe I should pick this book up for the secondary character alone!
Von Effenger
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 05:06:49 pm »

<i>Steambot Chronicles</i> is a good game (for your various gaming consoles).  They are also planning on a sequel to it.  Though, I noticed in the game the machines actually run on gasoline, not steam. 
Cory
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 05:16:41 pm »

They're not autonomous, but Escaflowne has some nice gilded mecha. There's also the Amazing Screw-On Head from the comic and cartoon of the same name. Neil Gaiman did a comic some time ago entitled Mr. Hero: The Pneumatic Man. If you want to go back to the original Edisonades, there were steam men abounding in the Frank Reade stories.
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 05:49:31 pm »

Many thanks to all for knowing these things.Especially Von Effenger.I`m now looking for this game.
Lux
Gunner

Gentleman Scholar

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 07:55:58 pm »

I'm sure most would say it isn't steampunk, but if you want steambots you can't go wrong with Iron Kingdoms.  Personally, I say it is all in how you run the game, and I run it with a very Victorian feel.

"Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 08:52:47 pm »

Actually I think Frank Reade is also just a modern invention, like Boilerplate.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 09:23:46 pm »

There are steam/clockwork automata enemies in Morrowind, Everquest, WoW (I think) and City of Heroes.
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

ᒪᒡᕆᑦᑦe, ᔅᑦeᐊᒻᐳᓐᒃ, ᐊᓐd ᐃᓄᒃᑎᑐᑦ. ᓐoᑦᕼᐃᖕ ᐃᔅ ᓱᑉeᕆoᕐ.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 03:24:27 am »

Though, I noticed in the game the machines actually run on gasoline, not steam. 

Just because they use gasoline doesn't mean it's not steam, as Crabfu can possibly vouch for. (although he uses propane)

http://fugunews.wordpress.com/

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulance and then...explode." --Malcom Reynolds, Serenity
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 11:23:10 am »

The current (10th Dr?) Dr. Who episode "The Girl in the Fireplace" has some stunning clockwork androids

Yep: that would be the tenth Doctor, David Tennant. Second season of the new Doctor Who. The period is wrong, but those droids are stunning and chilling... and unfortunately occasionally very B-grade comical.

IK Steamjacks rock out. Witchfire Trilogy, and the DM I played it under, were what introduced me to the idea of full-blown steampunk. Before that, I was just "mildly obsessed with gears and clockwork". Our DM's Corvis was very much his own imagining, with some very Victorian elements, but also some strong overtones of earlier time periods, but I don't see why it shouldn't be. I think the main reasons people would not call it steampunk are because magic is an availible option, and Privateer Press themselves insist that it is not, classifying it as "Steam and Sorcery Adventure".

Morrowind has the Centurion Spheres and Steam Centurions, marvels of engineering that have out-survived their creators, the Dwemer.

Unfortunately, I have no ideas of my own to add. My apologies.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:40:35 am by Flynn MacCallister » Logged
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 06:02:48 pm »

I think the main reasons people would not call it steampunk are because magic is an availible option, and Privateer Press themselves insist that it is not, classifying it as "Steam and Sorcery Adventure".

Just because it has magic doesn't mean it's not steampunk. Do they say it's not steampunk?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 06:53:49 pm »

Its all in how you look at it, magic or no, its up to your own definitions. What is steampunk to one is not necessarily so to another.
Personally, I'll prefer unbelievable technology, in a steampunk environs, over magic (as in pure "swords and sorcery" magic).
Its all in how you prefer your steampunk...

BTW - your sig.. have a look at the career of Captain Sir Thomas, Lord Cochrane, Royal Navy, active during the  Napoleonic naval era, who had some "different" ideas on how to defeat the French.. Also, first commissioned steam vessels in the Royal Nvy were Comet of 1821, and Lightning in 1824 .

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 09:00:23 pm »

I think the main reasons people would not call it steampunk are because magic is an availible option, and Privateer Press themselves insist that it is not, classifying it as "Steam and Sorcery Adventure".

Just because it has magic doesn't mean it's not steampunk. Do they say it's not steampunk?

Indeed, they do say they are not Steampunk.  Quite odd, but perhaps they do not like the word.  *shrugs*  Still, giant steam robots are part of my Steampunk universe.
Elwood
Officer

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:13:22 pm »

Would you care to elaborate on Tom Strong's good friend, Pneuman? I've not read the book but this character intrigues me quite a bit. Maybe a couple of quotes highlighting his method of speaking. And what's this about wax cylinders?

It seems maybe I should pick this book up for the secondary character alone!

An example of his speech would be something like:
“Why, Master Tom… *sss* what does it look like I’m TRYING *ktik* to do?”
Words broken open by hisses and crackles. Comic is fun, in a goofy pulpy way.
Here's a picture and some more info on him: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/p/pneuman.htm

I think Alan Alda put it best when he said,
"If I can't get the girl, at least give me more money."
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 09:29:38 pm »

Napoleon said this to Robert Fulton.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 10:08:21 pm »

Napoleon said this to Robert Fulton.
Never said he didn't...was just pointing out another instance of the same thing, aswell as how long it did take before steam power was adopted by the Royal Navy.  Thought it would interest you, as it related to your sig...
Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:11:34 pm by HAC » Logged
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 05:45:25 am »

Yes, they do indeed say that it isn't.

I personally like my steampunk with a little magic in it sometimes. I like the added element of steam technology developing with the added factor of magic.
B. Fugu
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 07:35:17 pm »

I wasn't denying you, I was just stating the source.

But the magic should only be used to supplement the steam, or else it gets too fantasyish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: