The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 07:50:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought a time-stamping clock  (Read 1295 times)
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« on: November 05, 2009, 08:08:05 am »

I just bought this on eBay for $19.95:

It reportedly works, stamping the time on things placed in the slot.  More later after it arrives.

I'm acquiring a few office accessories like this to be used with the Aetheric Message Machine at the Steampunk Convention. Other items so far include a wheel of rubber stamps and a big brass "front desk" type bell.

I'll probably just clean and repaint this, put in a new ribbon, and make up a suitable nameplate to be bolted on where there obviously was once a nameplate.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »

That is fantastic! A while ago I bought a "pigeon racing clock", which has a similar function of stamping out the time. I still need to get a key for it, to see if it is working, but I have an inkling it might need some repairs..

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:53:04 pm »

Here's the inside view, and a sample time stamp.

It needed some work. There were cobwebs inside, the stamping mechanism was stuck, the power cord was cracked, the timestamp wheel was an hour out from the hands, the ribbon advance didn't work, the case was bent, and the last oiling was in 1969.  I took care of all that, and now it works properly. I also gave it a 3-wire cord grounded to the frame, for safety.

The timestamp format is day, hour, tenth of an hour.  Ever six minutes, the tenth of an hour wheel advances.

The timekeeping mechanism is the small synchronous motor at the lower left. Once a minute, a rotating cam closes a switch, and a big electromagnet behind the clock dial advances the clock by one minute.

The big coil down at the bottom drives a print hammer ending in a rubber block upward, hitting the bottom of the paper and forcing it against the ribbon and print wheels. This is triggered by a mechanical trigger which releases a switch (two carbon rods brought into contact!) powering the print coil. When the print hammer fires, it resets the switch. When the paper is removed from the trigger, that resets, and the print hammer can fire again. Properly adjusted, the print hammer fires exactly once when you put a piece of paper in the slot.

Right now, I'm not planning to do much to this other than make a brass Aetheric Message Machine Company nameplate for it. The holes indicate it once had a nameplate. Any other suggestions on making it look more steampunk?

Arcturon the hobo
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

I am my own man. You, sir, are the queen's bitch

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:11:38 am »

Clear panels in the casing over the working parts, framed in polished brass goodness.

Nae king, nae quin, nae laird, nae master! We won't be fooled agin!

I do not suffer fools, fools suffer ME!

"If she be the daughter of fifty kings" Said Father Fitzgibbon "I tell you, you can't marry her, she being a fish."

http://sceyeballkid.deviantart.com/
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:27:06 am »

Clear panels in the casing over the working parts, framed in polished brass goodness.

I'm doing that for the Teletype machine, which has interesting moving parts inside to watch. But for the little time clock, it's just not worth the trouble.  Once a minute, it goes "chunk" and the gears advance one notch. It's also not that pretty a device inside. I could do some more exterior decoration, though. Or a paint job.

Off to CNC milling machine class.
VictorTennyson
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »

They certainly don't make them quite like that anymore, do they?

'Sow an act, reap a habit. Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character, and reap a destiny.'

The Royal Commonwealth of Novaltia
http://welcome.novaltia.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: