The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:53:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a Cage Skirt  (Read 8859 times)
Sayanette
Swab

United States United States

« on: November 04, 2009, 08:07:15 pm »

Hiya,

I'm going to be making a cage skirt for my lolita/steampunk outfit for Anime Boston in April. But I have no idea what type of material to use for my skirt. I'm looking for something cheap, or maybe even lying around the house (because I'm a new college student and now I'm broke).

I was hoping I could get some ideas on how to go about making my cage skirt. I want it to look like metal or brass, or something like that, without it being too heavy to wear all day/weekend.

If you have any ideas please let me know so I can get started on one of the last pieces of my outfit.

Thanks,
Sayanette
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:51:16 pm »

Depending on where you are going to school, they may have a metal shop access policy. If you have access to tube bending equipment, then aluminum tubing could work. Otherwise, it's a bit hard to bend tubes accurately and without crumpling the walls; not entirely impossible, just difficult.
Alternatively, you could look at things like PVC pipe or electrical conduit from a hardware store, or thin-walled ABS irrigation line, which is available at a garden center. Both of these can be glued, and a variety of T-fittings and the like are available which may be useful. You would need to do some tests if you want to paint them though. There are some threads already on painting plastics. I will note that while I have used oil-sized metal leafing on larger diameter ABS pipe, I cannot recommend it as a general approach.
Bong294
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

bong294
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:06:36 am »

Off the top of my head, how a bout bamboo ? I'm sure when sanded it could be easily painted, it's strong and pliable and dead cheap :-)

Regards
Bong294

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............?
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:48:07 am »

My friends who have made hoop-skirts, farthinggales, panniers and the like used steel boning of the sorts used for corsets in a light calico framework.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Sayanette
Swab

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:02:18 am »

Thanks so much for the ideas.

I think I'm going to just try using wire hangers to shape it and then copper wire to strengthen it and then I'll cover the strips with material that I'll paint and color and what not to get the look that I want.

I'm kind of running low on money, and I have all of these things right now.

I'll make sure to get pictures and such of the process and finished work and post them.
vintagebree
Swab

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 12:58:15 am »

Yes definetly post pictures! I really like your wire hanger idea... I'd love to make a hoop skirt and that sounds perfect for my budget... college student also  Smiley
LadyAsprin
Zeppelin Admiral
Scotland Scotland

Sabreuse.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 01:01:58 am »

My hoop skirt is made of light boning forced in to a circle.  Maybe you could use that idea and them cover it.

Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)
Ananiah_Lucke
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 11:51:33 pm »

I bet good wire would be good enough to make it. This might be something I need to try... I will be looking for you at AB now lol.

You call it an alternative lifestyle; I call it life.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 01:47:45 am »

The problem you can end up with using wire is that it's not flexible enough. In a hoop for a skirt, you need it to bend around a chair and your legs when you sit down, or it will bell out to the front and flash everyone your bloomers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: