The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 10:37:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sydney as a Steampunk City.  (Read 1296 times)
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« on: October 28, 2009, 07:10:48 am »

This has been a nagging idea of mine for a while:
The age of Steam did not end.

The giant factories, pouring out plumes of viscous coal-fumes have not left us. Ninety percent of Australia's power is created by them. Blimps do plough through our skies, and our great cities are connected by glorious ribbons of steel: rails that span a world, and unite the continents themselves.

Granted, we've shifted up to using diesel, and even highly refined petroleum to power most of our transport. And yes: the style and elegance of the late Victorian era has been let slide. Those of us who still respect and even attempt to emulate it are the staunch protectors of that invaluable set of social niceties - but we live in a world where we must struggle to keep it alive, against the tide of populist modernism.

But we need not turn our backs on the modern world. In fact, all we really need to do at times is look at it through different eyes.

The remnants of that age are all around us, and I find myself constantly surprised as I pause on a street corner in Sydney, and catch a glimpse of a sandstone tower standing next to a radio tower, and think: "How Steamy!" Out here in the antipodes, with our bolted-on colonialism, we have our fair share of wonderful architecture and archaic symbolism and fittings.

So here is my thought: I will try to take photos of these anachronisms, and present any who would care to see them with a glimpse of a living breathing city that is still firmly tied to the Age of Steam.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:57:38 am by 5tephe » Logged

<em>One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery and a minimum wage.</em>
-Aldous Huxley
5tephe
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:08:58 am »

This is the entrance to the railway station where I catch my train home from work each day.

They ahve gone to quite some efforts to keep its turn-of-the-century styling, and I'll probably post some more pictures of the interior at some point.

What I really like about this image though, is the jusxtaposition of the (admittedly modern) building behind the gorgeous awning, with its ironwork and globe lights. Its deco-styled conciet places its architect straight into our asthetic camp. I can't help but think that they did so in part as a response to the enduring style of the park across the road, with the two train stations (Museum & St. James) buried beneath it.
damianlz
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 02:03:34 am »

A FELLOW SYDNEYER WOO! Mate I like it, i think we need more smokestacks or buildings like the ones next to ANZAC bridge (though to me they do seem a little more deisul punk

This isnt Russia
SteveT
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 06:21:23 am »

This is the entrance to the railway station where I catch my train home from work each day.

They ahve gone to quite some efforts to keep its turn-of-the-century styling, and I'll probably post some more pictures of the interior at some point.

What I really like about this image though, is the jusxtaposition of the (admittedly modern) building behind the gorgeous awning, with its ironwork and globe lights. Its deco-styled conciet places its architect straight into our asthetic camp. I can't help but think that they did so in part as a response to the enduring style of the park across the road, with the two train stations (Museum & St. James) buried beneath it.

Wow great shot mate, oddly enough I travel past this place most days and never thought to take a photo of it. You have inspired me ...
Boston Jones
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:13:04 pm »

I enjoy how you said "turn of the century" meaning 1990's and not the 2000's   Grin

"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
 the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: