The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 10:12:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a question about ranks  (Read 921 times)
abney park fan
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

« on: October 18, 2009, 11:37:05 pm »

Smiley hello there! i am new to the steampunk forums and I still have the rank of a deck hand. can some one tell me the approximate number of posts that you need to make to advance to the rank of gunner?
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 11:38:59 pm »

I believe that rank is based on active time online now rather than number of posts. Ther is a post in the engine room explaining in more detail.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:41:04 pm »

I dont think a table of the required hours is available as I myself asked the same question a while ago, when the system changed and I was demoted. I think you need about 24 hours logged in time to move up to the next level, but dont know what the requirement may be thereafter.

So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:50:54 pm »

I dont think a table of the required hours is available as I myself asked the same question a while ago, when the system changed and I was demoted. I think you need about 24 hours logged in time to move up to the next level, but dont know what the requirement may be thereafter.

I did a little research into this and it seems that there are certain levels that will upgrade you to the next rank but I also saw lots of people who had high ranks but low hours. I am not sure if this is intended, is a a bug or if there is other criteria at play here.

greensteam
Zeppelin Captain

Steamed up from birth

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00:50 am »

In another discussion on this there was a good deal of sneering about this type of discussion from people with higher numbers of cogs about those with lower cogs seeming to care about getting more.

I think this arises from what Lilibat said about it being unclear.

The justification for the change was to try and reward those who read a lot but may not necessarily chip in with meaningless comments.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:15:43 am »

The powers that be can always invent new ranks, for example why stop at deckhand? Going down you could have cabin boy, ships cat, passenger (which we should be calling Guests!) and supercargo it would allow MUCH more scope for demotion!

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Orwin
Officer

Typical Dabbler of Various Things

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:21:33 am »

If you're feeling REALLY clever you could probably rig up a parallel leveled rank system, that would have different but equivalent ranks that would take into account both varying degrees of time logged and post count.

It would be nice to include post length in that also, but that's even less feasible.  That is quite beside the point however.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 12:31:59 am »

TBH I don;t th ink it matter that much, if you post a lot you know who else does and who talks sense Tongue Theres no infallible way of ranking contribution. There's plenty of web forums where the most highly respected members hardly post at all, because they're too bust doing the stuff that they;re respected for Tongue
Tesla*s Coil
Zeppelin Captain

TS29594

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:50:12 am »

It's 25 hours to gunner, 75 to officer, 125 to srn .officer, past that i can't remember. 

gears govern the laws of physics
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 06:31:58 pm »

TBH I don;t th ink it matter that much, if you post a lot you know who else does and who talks sense Tongue Theres no infallible way of ranking contribution. There's plenty of web forums where the most highly respected members hardly post at all, because they're too bust doing the stuff that they;re respected for Tongue

As opposed to Danzo, eh?  Wink

Quote from: elShoggotho
HE WRESTLES BEARS, HE DRINKS HIS ALE, HE LOVES HIS AUTUNITE! ON WEDNESDAYS HE GOES SHOPPING, THIS SONG IS UTTER SHI-

PM me about adding a thread to the OT archive!

_|¯¯|_
r[]_[]
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 06:56:46 pm »

As opposed to Danzo, eh?  Wink

funny you should say that..Wink
Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Captain Spice
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 07:23:05 pm »

Grin Wink
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 07:40:53 pm »

For me 'matters' is irrelevant. I just think it's an interesting numbers game and am curious about the inconsistencies I found. Obviously the rules aren't as simple as stated or the system is faulty. Keep in mind when playing MMOs I like to calculate how many more MOBs I need to kill to level. Obviously I also enjoy playing the game for the sake of the game but I just like to figure it out as an added puzzle.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: