The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:11:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: league of extrordinary gentlemen  (Read 3376 times)
Elliot_Pending
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2009, 12:50:31 pm »

I liked that in the movie they gave Mina vampiric powers, in the comic you kind of wonder how she´s qualified to be in the league.

Well, I had assumed that being immortal following Dracula's bite she could reasonably be regarded as Extraordinary.

Was she immortal in the comic? I never quite got that impression. Perhaps I was reading too quickly.
Actually both she and Mister Quartermaine seemed fairly normal to me. Not that I'm complaining. One doesn't require superpowers to be extraordinary.

Anyway, I saw the movie first and only recently read the comic, and I quite prefer the comic.
...although I begrudge no one their personal opinions. >_>
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 01:25:01 pm »

In the comic, Mina was extraordinary because she not only physically survived being attacked by Dracula, she did not allow that to destroy her life, did not give a damn what that meant to her reputation, and was incapable of being frightened by anything ever again.  She has a will of iron, and the (quite extraordinary) abilty to get a grouip of men to work together to a common goal despite their personal failings.

(As for Mr. Quatermaine, you really must read H. Rider Haggard's stories to see how extraordinary he really is.  He may be an old leopard now, but he is a sly old leopard with incredible experience to draw upon.)

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2009, 04:47:46 pm »

I liked that in the movie they gave Mina vampiric powers, in the comic you kind of wonder how she´s qualified to be in the league.

Well, I had assumed that being immortal following Dracula's bite she could reasonably be regarded as Extraordinary.

Was she immortal in the comic? I never quite got that impression. Perhaps I was reading too quickly.

If you read all four of the books the fact that she is immortal, or at least has enormous longevity, becomes obvious.
 'The Black Dossier' (3rd in the series) is set in 1958 and there is no sign of aging.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2009, 08:50:59 pm »

Yes but that is because her and Quatermain found the Fountain of Youth sometime between book 2 and 3.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 09:15:57 pm »

Yes but that is because her and Quatermain found the Fountain of Youth sometime between book 2 and 3.

Therefore either making them immortal or giving them incredible longevity, no?
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »

Probably just making them younger every time they bathe in it. However they had not found it during the first two books.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2009, 09:47:39 pm »

O.k.

Mina was bitten by Dracula and survived. She is part of the organisation before the others because she has had previous dealings with 'creatures' and is an efficient organisor herself.
 It is intimated, but left to the reader's imagination, as to whether the bite from Dracula left her with a residual ability: being able to use mind influence when 'encouraging' the others to join the crusade.
 The question of whether she is already immortal or long-lived becomes irrelevant after 'The Fountain Of Youth' is discovered.
 They made her a vampire for the movie because Peta Wilson is a hot chick and looks mighty fine all vamped up like that and to divert your attention from the appalling casting of Sean Connery as Quartermaine.

Have we covered it. Grin
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2009, 09:50:10 pm »

Well, with all the big dramatic scenes in the movie a non-powered Mina would be rather a disappointment.
Elliot_Pending
Officer

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

If you read all four of the books the fact that she is immortal, or at least has enormous longevity, becomes obvious.
 'The Black Dossier' (3rd in the series) is set in 1958 and there is no sign of aging.

Ah, that explains it. I've only read as far as the second. I shall have to obtain the third and fourth sometime.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2009, 11:13:22 pm »

I as well have only read the first two books.  As a psychopathically frugal man, I purchase my books at thrift stores and library sales, which is marvellous if one wishes to have an eclectic bookcase but plays hobb with completing a series.

(My local library does not spend much of their budget on comic books.)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2009, 11:46:46 pm »

The Black Dossier is not that good for me, as the world has rather lost it´s internal constistency. It´s a bit like the addendum from the second book, with a lot of fantastical tales with no real connection to each other. The fourth book just seems to have no real story.
Elliot_Pending
Officer

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 12:53:58 am »

I as well have only read the first two books.  As a psychopathically frugal man, I purchase my books at thrift stores and library sales, which is marvellous if one wishes to have an eclectic bookcase but plays hobb with completing a series.

I'm less frugal (although I am that too), I simply live in an area without any comic book shops. Well, there's a gaming store, but I can never remember where it is.

And I must say, it's a tragedy that libraries don't carry at least certain graphic novels. Alan Moore's works and Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series carry more literary validity than 75% of the fiction section.
I mean really, have you ever caroused the fantasy section at a public library? Everything is some derivative title like "The Shadow Dragon Sword of the Fire Temple."
It's painful.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 01:23:15 am »

Did you check the children´s section?
Elliot_Pending
Officer

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2009, 01:45:39 am »

Did you check the children´s section?

If I ever find either of those graphic novels in the children's section, my laughter will be such that I cause a public spectacle.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2009, 02:00:09 am »

I'm less frugal (although I am that too), I simply live in an area without any comic book shops. Well, there's a gaming store, but I can never remember where it is.

And I must say, it's a tragedy that libraries don't carry at least certain graphic novels. Alan Moore's works and Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" series carry more literary validity than 75% of the fiction section.
I mean really, have you ever caroused the fantasy section at a public library? Everything is some derivative title like "The Shadow Dragon Sword of the Fire Temple."
It's painful.

I think carousing is frowned upon in most public libraries Wink

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Elliot_Pending
Officer

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2009, 02:03:48 am »

Gah!  Cheesy
Pardon.
Perused?
Or perhaps I should quit stretching my vocabulary and just say "browsed."
Violet Rose
Snr. Officer

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2009, 11:39:33 am »

It's painful.

I think carousing is frowned upon in most public libraries Wink

If I am in charge anyway.

I note that our local libraries carry quite a surprisingly healthy number of respected graphic novels - and what is not available locally can be ordered in.
God Speed the public library system !

I'm in Darkshines sewing swap!

Declaring war on mediocrity and a pox on the foot soldiers of stupidity
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: