The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:45:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Watch, looking for info  (Read 1272 times)
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Captain of the pirate Airship Aurelia

« on: October 07, 2009, 05:11:29 am »

So I picked up a watch this weekend. I found it in a vintage clothing store and it worked. The guy only wanted 26 bucks for it so I said why not? The problem is I cannot find out any info on it. I popped the back to look for a serial and all I found was the name of the maker. Ingraham (spelling?) company was inside. aside from that the only other thing stamped on the works was the number 1148. I found a watch exactly like it on ebay but instead of the tower brand it was the Ingraham brand and was going for 149. I thought maybe some of the fine watch people around here could bestow upon me some of their knowledge if they have any, about this particular brand and such.
Here are some pictures so you can have a look (sorry for the poor photographs, im not very good at taking pictures)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It does seem to have a slight problem. It gets stuck every once in a while. It will be ticking along just fine then all of a sudden it stops ticking. If you reach over and tap it, it goes right back to ticking away like it never stopped. Also the end is missing off of the minute hand. Would it benefit from a trip to the watchsmith for a cleaning and servicing or would it be better to just throw it into a box and hold on to it? I was planning on making this a daily wear, but if it is rare or worth some money I may just place it in the safety-deposit box and keep it.

Thanks in advance for an info that can be given.

"Dammit all, the hydrogen catalysts have gone off again!"

opta ardua pennis astra sequi
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 05:34:51 am »

Ingraham was famous for what were known as "dollar watches", mass produced to be sold for , a dollar. Company existed from 1912 to 1968, and produced over 65 million pocket watches. The design is simple, and rugged unjeweled lever movement. Ingraham  made quite a few models, ofetn commemorating some historical event.
  Most watchmakers don't like working on them, but a simple clean and oil will do wodners for it.. There is one guy I know of who works on these exclusively and does restoration work..

The DollarWatch Co..

http://members.tripod.com/roycross_1/

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Captain of the pirate Airship Aurelia

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:29:21 am »

Thanks HAC! That link you gave led me right to the information I was looking for. "Watches for sale #1" was the exact model. A 1960 Ingraham tower model. It was sold exclusively at Sears. Now I know what I am dealing with and can talk to the watch guy near here about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: