The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 06:26:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can someone tell me what this is called?  (Read 1546 times)
Demetrius Forward
Gunner
England England

I assure you, this is going as I planned. Honest!

Knozzox
« on: October 04, 2009, 12:51:01 pm »

Hello everyone, would anyone here happen to know what this is called?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been looking for a wristwatch that has this feature, but it's hard to search for when you don't know what it's called, unfortunately Sad

'What the bally hell is "pesto" and can I put it on my toast?'
Theosophus Grey
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Commanding the FAAS Widow's Son

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 12:57:11 pm »

It's simply referred to as a day-night and/or moonphase dial, depending on how many functions it serves; there is a technical name for it, but it escapes me.

A gentleman and a scholar, albeit heavily armed.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:51:24 pm »

Patek and other high end makers have used the term 'complicated watches', though I've seen that nomenclature used incorrectly too.  markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Demetrius Forward
Gunner
England England

Knozzox
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:43:19 am »

Could anyone point me towards somewhere where I could get a watch with one of those dials, at an affordable price? The only ones I've been able to find have been absurdly costly. My grandfather has one, and he'd never spend so much money on a watch, but he has no idea where he got it from unfortuantely Sad
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 01:40:31 am »

The ones that actually show the phase of the Moon accurately will run to serious money, as this is a movement complication that runs on a cycle of just over 29 days. This is the real "moonphase" complication.

You will also find watches with a rather pointless complication showing the "Sun and Moon" in a 24 hour cycle. These cost rather less, but honestly, if you can't tell teatime from four a.m. without it . . . .

Finally, some cheap watches are made with dummy "Sun and Moons" just for decoration. These don't cost much, but I can't imagine why anyone would want one, as it is a mechanical complication that doesn't actually indicate anything.

Darkhound
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:58:40 am by Darkhound » Logged

"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."
Demetrius Forward
Gunner
England England

Knozzox
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »

Thanks for the info, Darkhound. The one I'm looking for in particular is the 2nd one you mentioned, the "Sun and Moon" complication. I simply like the decorative feeling it gives. Any idea where I could get one, or what search terms I would use to find such a timepiece?
Darkhound
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 10:21:10 pm »

If you look up "Philip Persio Sun Moon Display", you should be able to find one for about 20 pounds. Modern quarz movement, of course, but they do run, look decent, and fit quite modest budgets.

Darkhound
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: