The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:41:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for good textures for 3d modeling projects.  (Read 1882 times)
Scott-ism
Gunner

« on: February 28, 2007, 06:48:11 am »

Hello all. wasn't sure if i should put this in audiovisual or tactile since its a bit of both.

I have a passion for 3d modeling and Animation for now its just a hobby (my icon is my most recent work).  But I have been working on designing a very steampunk styled world.
one of the key things with 3d modeling is textures. so if anyone has any textures or texture references that they could point me to i would be truly and humbly grateful.
I also would love any recommended references (preferably more than just web pages, books are great too) for things like architectural styles (like Terra-Cotta)

Much adoration for anything and thank you in advance.

Ya know I think that I'm one of the only "ism's" allowed on this board.
Clamps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 07:31:39 am »

I find these guys are really very good.
http://www.environment-textures.com/index.php
Btw, please tell us more about your Steampunk world. Perhaps we could compare notes.
clamps
Scott-ism
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:42:59 am »

thanks for the link checking them out now.

as for asking of my world.
well my world is not Victorian England first off, it will have influence stylistically but i want it to be my own. also its a world where steam driven technology has been around for a long time and is a bit more streamlined.
I'll show a few pics of what I've made for it as well as some conceptual drawings

character scribbles

a steam monster battle

a steambot

character concept (EARLY EARLY concept)

my desktop bg (smaller version) with something i call the gear core

an early city design (i've lost most of the textures unfortunately hard drive wipe *sad*)

one of the earliest images (the chars will NOT be toon shaded though)

hope those are helpful to describe my world (it exists best in my head)

and sorry it took so long to respond
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 01:42:01 pm »

those are sharp man.

really sharp.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
Dimentox
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 07:00:27 pm »

Theres a www site i forget where it is do a search for photorealistic texture
i found them soem really good metal textures. I use it in Second Life like  madman.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 10:15:02 pm »

Fisrt off, I'm new here, just found this board a day ro so ago.. As far as textures...perhaps I can help, I've been dabbling in 3d for a while, and am finally getting the time needed to catch up on work I had always wanted to do. (retirement is a wonderful thing). I had some Victorai/Steampunk/Space 1889 notes and working ideas, so I can finally get back to those..  I have several Gb of photoquality textures, so chances are I have a few that could be useful for you. Email me and we can chat.
 As far as my work, here's a sample,

And here is a start to what will be the power unit of an articulated exploration vehicle..

As far as an interest in steam, well, here's a pic that should say something..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 10:24:09 pm »

Harold....

Is that a really big machine you have or are you just excited to be here?

all kidding aside, those are really nice renderings....  And what, pray tell, are you operating?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 10:26:24 pm »

Thanks...
  Thats a restored and running 2-6-4 Hudson class  Steam loco, and I'm being shown the ropes..
Cheers
Harold
Scott-ism
Gunner

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 05:48:03 am »

Thanks all for the responses I really appreciate it.  Harold I'll fire an email off to you soon. right now i'm un-wonderfully medicated with everything that will fight the flu so I'm doing as minimalistic whatevers I can online at the moment.

and i envy your being retired to have the free time to have to work on 3d, its one of my passions.

i like your renderings. specially the second one kind of an all terrain thing from the looks of it.

i just found this, it was a work in progress of one of the models, but i lost it in the hard drive wipe, so now i have to make it again, only better.

just wanted to share it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: