The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 02:40:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steamy camera prop  (Read 1172 times)
1helios1
Officer
United States United States

« on: September 28, 2009, 01:37:49 am »

this is a non-functioning camera prop that i built mostly out of spare parts, the idea came to me when i found some lenses, there was also i bit of inspiration from a video game, points if you can guess which. anyway, the idea is that when taking a picture it produces a slide, which is then projected onto the piece of glass suspended behind it, no idea if this would actually work, but it looks neat. anyway, i started with a block of wood, and some pvc for the basic shape, covered that with sheet plastic, and attached the various controls, and the apertures to that.

more at: http://fictionalrelics.blogspot.com/2009/09/camera-prop.html
Miss Laizabel Cohen
Deck Hand

Tea, biscuits, and a Lady Derringer, please.

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 02:01:25 am »

A fascinating idea! If only the camera were functional... Unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea what video game you were possibly referring to, seeing as the only video games I'm particularly fond of are Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Thief. Nonetheless, very nice job on the construction of such a prop! *applauds*

Cordially,
Miss Laizabel Cohen
Experienced Chrononaut and Time Tinkerer
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 04:29:04 am »

Firstly Wow, that looks very cool!

Secondly; why not build that box over a camera? ( digital or film ) It looks like it wouldn't be
too hard to do but we don't know how large it is.

Thirdly; Yes it would work. Provided the Glass plate "your negative" is in a container which is
closed from the light of day as soon as your photo is imprinted in the glass plate.

I'd recommend you do a quick search on "glass plate" photography and cameras; you can effect
the same thing as what you're doing by using blank photo paper!
( beginning photography experiment for all would be photographers ) I made one years ago, it
works alright.

Cool project, I hope you continue it.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 12:42:43 pm »

Inserting an electronic pinhole video camera into your work would not be very difficult at all (film/still  pinhole versions can be done too but require more room).  Even cheapie e-pinholes are smaller than a dime, and for a bit more they come as small as a button.  Simply place it in an advantageous location (such as adding a viewfinder with the pinhole camera co-located with it) and hide the leads/USB wires in the body of your work an you've got a functional video camera. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 05:17:05 pm »

thanks for the kind words and suggestions.
i original considered trying to make it functional, but in actual use, i tend to steer toward the practical, so i would never choose it over my digital camera. and if im not going to use it, than for me the fact that its not functional doesn't detract from it much. i dont know about the rest of you, but my stuff tends to just sit on a shelf when im done with it. : )
blacksmith74westy
Gunner

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 01:17:27 am »

there was also i bit of inspiration from a video game, points if you can guess which.
Fatal Frame?

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo, Discworld
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:13:20 am »

nope, not a bad guess though : )
blacksmith74westy
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 06:52:46 am »

Well damn....and I wanted those points too! I hear you can trade them in for goggles... Wink
1helios1
Officer

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:47:19 pm »

is that so? i pity it would be cheating to answer it myself : )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: