The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 11:03:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A thread for the modding of gadgets.  (Read 617 times)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« on: September 24, 2009, 07:34:13 pm »

I have a very strong feeling,that at this point the modding of phones,music players,and the like could do with it's own section.
   Compile photos of projects,basic guidelines for working on any of theses sort of bits,paints that adhere best,you know.

I suggest it,as I'm finally about to leap into the gadget mod arena.
I attempted it with my iPod...failed...May try that again...
 But,yes,I've been meaning to obtain a new cellular phone and found the Nokia 7705 Twist.Nifty little square thing with swively moves,a mirror(very amused by that),and a suggestion in the customer reviews that one could attach it to a chain like a pocket watch...I believe that review was what made me certain I needed the phone and to attack it with metal bits and paint.

Tips,are what I need.Should I sand it in some fashion prior,to help paint adhere?What paints work best?Has anyone found a resource for that odd sticker stuff that looks like wood(find it on bookcases and things made of wood,covering screws)?Is there a manner to get rivets decently stuck onto the thing?

Also-Begin dumping gadget projects here.

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 09:00:15 pm »

In terms of sticking things together, I've found that 5 minute epoxy rarely comes unstuck.
As for metal paints, Rustoleum makes very nice copper, chrome and gold (brass) spray paints. Herr Doktor is the master at painting, check his project threads for some tips.
For wood, you can buy very thin veneer, which is real wood.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: