The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 12, 2017, 11:37:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beautiful clock in need of help  (Read 1599 times)
Reverend Redmond Farrier
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« on: September 23, 2009, 09:44:44 pm »

My grandmother passed away recently and as I was going through her closet looking for the will and found this beautiful old mantle clock, but it doesn't work.  Everything seems to turn, but the pendulum will not keep swinging.  Will I need to take it in for repairs or is there something simple that I can do to get it going again?  I have very little money for repairs so I am hoping I can find some help here.

Rev. R. Farrier
stardust
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

friend of polar bear

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:35:55 pm »

i do not have any specific useful hints, but if it were me i would go to my local library and get as many books on clock repair as possible.

i recently got a book out from my local library on clock repair and it was really informative. you may well find it is something you can repair yourself once you've done a bit of research.

best of luck to you.

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:41:13 pm »

Has the hairspring come loose? Is it lubed up well? (lol inuendos Roll Eyes) From my recent foray into clockwork mechanisms I have found that one I was tinkering with did not turn because the hairspring was loose and it was full of rust and old oil that was providing more friction instead of less Tongue

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »

That's a very pretty Seth Thomas tambour!  If there's a pendulum there won't be a hairspring to worry about.  First tip:  do not move the clock with pendulum in place; remove it until you have the clock where you want it to keep from screwing things up.

Before you do anything else please answer a simple question:  During the time that the pendulum is swinging, do the tick and tock sound evenly or is one longer than the other, almost like it is limping?  If they are uneven the clock is out of beat and will not run for long.  This can easily be caused by moving the clock while the pendulum is in place.  It's very common and easy to fix.  If shimming up one end of the clock brings it into beat then the pendulum will need adjustment to correct the issue.  Or the surface it's mounted on might need the correction....Many pendulums are made where you can adjust them to bring the clock in beat easily.

Oiling the pivot holes you can see on the back plate is a good idea and can be done with the movement in place.  Do NOT use WD40 as it will quickly dry out gumming things up worse.  Sewing machine or 3-in1 oil will do the job nicely.  It takes very little oil per pivot, so do not just slather it on.
Reverend Redmond Farrier
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:08:43 am »

The ticking sounds fairly even to me.  It just slows down and stops, most of the time within 10 seconds but sometimes it lasts up to a minute.  I also found another issue when I was moving the hands.  The chimes do not run sequentially.  It will chime 5 o'clock then maybe 8 after that and sometimes it will chime the same hour over and over.  I may just have to crack open the wallet and find out how much it will cost to get it repaired.
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 06:41:43 pm »

Ticking evenly does show that it is level side to side.  Before we miss something obvious make sure that it is also level front to back; I won't admit how much time I wasted once on that little epiphany.

I just can't tell from the pic if the movement is a count-wheel movement or if the strike mechanism is rack and snail.  If the latter the strike sequence should be self correcting and the label may say so.  If you move the minute hand past the top of the hour too quickly when checking the strike sequence on a rack and snail movement you don't give the mechanism enough time to set itself up and you get inconsistent striking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: