The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:43:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Describe your ultimate watch, or other minature, wearable mechanism.  (Read 5284 times)
Mr. Ethan Grammatikidis
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Codepunk

« on: September 19, 2009, 08:22:27 pm »

Elsewhere CQu posted this fantastic piece:

Not to derail this thread, but this takes the cake for timepeices.  Found it on the darkraost site as well. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cabestan's "Winch Tourbillon Vertical" watches are in a league of their own. Nothing comes close to their sophistication, and sheer audacity of style:
Chain-driven movements! 1,352 components all working together! Only four watches a month made! Priced aprrox. $400,000... Nothing even comes close.

HAC followed up with a staggering piece of information: the above watch is far from the most sophisticated piece out there:
While the Cabestan is interesting, and different, it's a fairly simple watch, in terms of design, unique, but once you break it down into it's stages, its not as complex as say, the De Witt WX-1, with its sliding case that exposes the movement, as well as a rather unique winding mechanism   (and at 400,000 Euros, its not cheap, either..) And as far as price, the $400,000 is only slightly more than a Patek 10-day Tourbillon (which is a standard in the Patek catalog) at $345,000.

And as far as chain-driven (or a fusee, as its properly called, I think I'd rather have something like this, a J. Allen from 1842:

Of course, if you want to go a bit further technically, then the tourbillon bi-axial from Concord in their C1 Quantum gravity watch or the Jaeger-LeCoultre Gyrotourbillon would be the ones to consider..

Cheers
Harold

Now, I came to steampunk via a watch collector's blog. I was having several of those days where I was well enough to read but not do much else, and I spent some time on a fascinating blog which gave all kinds of information about modern mechanical watches, including some almost as fantastic as that chain-driven piece above. The blog linked to von Slatt's keyboard and one thing led to another and so I ended up buying a topper last weekend, but before I'd ever heard of von Slatt or Brass Goggles I'd invented, in my head, my ultimate watch; the absolute ultimate miniaturised wearable mechanism of cogwheeley goodness, to my taste.

I'll describe my design in my next post, but what I'd like to know is:

What's your idea of the ultimate miniature mechanism?

Ardent about analytical engineering.
Athena
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:33:21 pm »

Something small and delicate, not really big. Something that, when you look at it, will make you go "Wow...was that made by human hands?" I would like to be able to see all the gears and things while they work, but the front piece will have a celestial theme to it...not sun and moon, something more like constellations or the zodiac. Instead of it being on the wrist or on a chain, maybe instead a necklace or a ring. It would be nice if it had an exotic cover as well.

That's my two cents anyway.  Grin
darkeyes
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:12:28 pm »

I’d like to see a nice watch with a sundial / compass combination if possible.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 03:13:00 am »

Personally, I still really love the tuning fork movement in the old Bulova Accutrons.
Rarest one I can know of is this one, a true 24 hour 214 backset movement designed for the military..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
vela
Zeppelin Captain

Ask me about BLOCK 616

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 03:21:42 am »

I have a small "womens' pocket watch".  It is about half inch in diametre.  I absolutely love it! 

If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)
Inktank
Officer

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 02:28:33 am »

Mine would have to be an intricate mechanical pocket watch, with a viewing window for the gears and such. I've seen some Charles Hubert ones I like, though all I have now is a simple quartz one.

Modern world, I'm not pleased to meet you;
you just bring me down.
Alastair Smythe
Officer

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:58:41 am »

Here's my ideal watch:

Take an ordinary-looking pocket watch.  Now you open it, and instead of the normal face, there's only a small retracted rod.  Push a button, and that rod pops out and begins spinning, like a helicopter rotor, over the watch body.  On that rod are flashing lights, timed to flash in such a way with the spinning that it displays the time as a digital readout.

I know I've seen such things with a pendulum on a desk clock, but a spinning pocket-watch display?  That'd be awesome.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  And it'll look really cool, too.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 01:44:04 pm »

Here's my ideal watch:

Take an ordinary-looking pocket watch.  Now you open it, and instead of the normal face, there's only a small retracted rod.  Push a button, and that rod pops out and begins spinning, like a helicopter rotor, over the watch body.  On that rod are flashing lights, timed to flash in such a way with the spinning that it displays the time as a digital readout.

I know I've seen such things with a pendulum on a desk clock, but a spinning pocket-watch display?  That'd be awesome.

These types of mechanisms are called 'persistence of vision' (POV) devices.  There are many types of clocks employing POV, including some homebrew versions, but a true self-contained spinning pocketwatch version would be mega-cool.  markf
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/06/3d_persistence_of_vision.html
http://www.electronixandmore.com/project/propclock/thirdpropclk5.jpg
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-magic-wand-clock:-a-Persistence-of-Vision-toy-/
http://www.slashgear.com/led-persistence-of-vision-watch-2010363/
http://gizmodo.com/018947/spin-persistence-of-vision-keychain-watch

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Steamhappi
Officer

Captain, Innsmouth High School swim team, '82

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:45:26 pm »

........... but what I'd like to know is: What's your idea of the ultimate miniature mechanism?

This:

Grin

I only knew that you'd know that I knew, did you know that?
Alastair Smythe
Officer

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 09:31:19 am »

Thanks, markf!  I couldn't remember the name of the effect.

This one:  http://www.electronixandmore.com/project/propclock/thirdpropclk5.jpg
looks closest to what I would like, though its not quite there.  Miniaturization would be a bitch, too.
Jacobi
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 11:28:13 pm »

I want to find a way to integrate one of these into my next set of boots.
Northpaw from sensebridge:
http://sensebridge.net/projects/northpaw/

Integrating it with a GPS reciever so that it could give you directions would be even better. Its not the steamiest...but I still think its cool.

Jac
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 03:30:37 am »

Pocketwatch Voltmeter Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 04:05:47 am »

this is a great thread, i will have to come back and describe mine when i have a bit more time

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
Alptraum
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 01:18:28 am »

Did you build that voltmeter, Jinglejoe? If so, where did you get the actual voltmeter thingy inside the watch case from?
Burr
Snr. Officer

My bark is worse then my bite

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 04:01:30 am »

Did you build that voltmeter, Jinglejoe? If so, where did you get the actual voltmeter thingy inside the watch case from?

You can get antique ones like that. There are quite a few of them floating around.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 08:26:25 am »

You can get antique ones like that. There are quite a few of them floating around.
This is true, especially scince I lost that one recently Cry I am very sad about this because I have voltmeters instead of friends.
Alptraum
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 02:10:18 am »

We all love you, Joe.
Imagining a massive waistcoat devoted to 15-20 pocketwatches of this sort - one multimeter function per watch.. Very silly. Thus I haz want.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 01:05:08 am »

We all love you, Joe.
Aw thankyou Embarrassed
Imagining a massive waistcoat devoted to 15-20 pocketwatches of this sort - one multimeter function per watch.. Very silly. Thus I haz want.
I have been known to carry 3 or 4 about my person for milliamperes and volts Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: