The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:34:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The League of Left-Handers  (Read 39355 times)
vela
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Ask me about BLOCK 616

« Reply #300 on: April 15, 2010, 03:26:39 am »

I NEED that shirt!

If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)
The Hon. Helena Haphazard
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Descanting on her own shadow in the sun...

« Reply #301 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:03 pm »

The shirt is amazing! Lefty Hon. Helena speaking here, and proud of it! It's actually quite ironic here in my student "rooms" this year - one right-handed person is besieged by four left-handed people! *Laughs maniacally* Ahem... where was I? 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:07:26 pm by The Hon. Helena Haphazard » Logged
Herr Klinger
Snr. Officer

Hmmm... Must shoot better photos...

« Reply #302 on: May 12, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »

Make sure you teach that righty how things work, Ms. Haphazard!!!

"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
~ Andrew Ryan
Deck Hand

« Reply #303 on: May 12, 2010, 11:09:16 pm »

Certainly will, Herr Klinger! Frighteningly, she's the craziest of us all, and is studying medicine... Whilst we lefties may be enchantingly eccentric, at least we don't race re-animated corpses up and down wards for fun - which is almost certainly her career plan....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:58:31 am by The Hon. Helena Haphazard » Logged
Janus Zarate
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Bassist for Vernian Process

VernianProcess
« Reply #304 on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:31 am »

Wait, we don't do that?  I'm sorely disappointed.

I don't see why I should cease my resurrection research simply because right-handed people are trying to do the same. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 05:02:19 am by Janus Zarate » Logged

MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #305 on: May 13, 2010, 06:24:17 pm »

how does one get the subject to walk into the vivisection machine without re-animation? I need to know this, it might save me scads of money...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Deck Hand

« Reply #306 on: May 13, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »

If the subject is a student, promptings of free food and/or a buffet table 'just through the door there'. Students, no matter the universe, are easily swayed by offerings of free comestibles, I believe.  Tongue
Hydroblitz
« Reply #307 on: May 17, 2010, 06:59:42 pm »

I'm in, if it's not too late.
Janus Zarate
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Bassist for Vernian Process

VernianProcess
« Reply #308 on: May 18, 2010, 12:10:12 am »

I'm in, if it's not too late.

It's never too late.  You're now our 49th member.

Oh, and Ms. Haphazard - you are our 48th! Smiley
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2010, 10:27:27 pm »

I too wish to join this fine group of natural genius'.

remember, only left handed folk are in their right mind.

Onward ho!
Thorinis
Snr. Officer

« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2010, 11:45:44 pm »

I regret it has been a while since I posted anything, has anything worth mention occurred in the world of us lefties of late?

He who cannot adapt to what is around him is destined to be devoured by it.
MatthiasKoenig
Snr. Officer

« Reply #311 on: July 08, 2010, 01:31:57 am »

I'm a Leftie and I have a question...

What have the Righties ever done for us?!?

I mean, besides the aquaducts?

Destroy the wicked, so the good may prosper.
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2010, 08:29:21 am »

burnt us as witches?

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
vincentjhyde
Swab

« Reply #313 on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:11 am »

I'm left handed. Very left handed. *laughs* Can i join?
MatthiasKoenig
Snr. Officer

« Reply #314 on: July 09, 2010, 01:43:33 pm »

burnt us as witches?

Well, more for us...not to us... Grin

I just hated getting calluses on the side of my hand from having to write in a spiral notebook and having my hand on top of that damnable wire all day. Angry
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2010, 08:52:57 pm »

I avoid them like the plague, far too annoying. ringbinders on the other hand I use everyday; the tedium of taking pages out everytime I want to write on them is mind numbing.
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #316 on: July 09, 2010, 08:56:51 pm »

I always use my spiral notebooks "wrong-way around", with the spirals on the right.  It's surprising how many people that practical adaptation completely freaks out...

Vienna
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #317 on: July 09, 2010, 09:04:43 pm »

I always use my spiral notebooks "wrong-way around", with the spirals on the right.  It's surprising how many people that practical adaptation completely freaks out...

Vienna

absurdly the thought never occured to me, doh!
MatthiasKoenig
Snr. Officer

« Reply #318 on: July 09, 2010, 09:18:12 pm »

Vienna

eh...yep....used to do that too....my teachers would look at me weird...but after a while, they just quit wondering...I did have one teacher that was anal about it, so that's where the rant came from. Smiley
Lessian
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #319 on: August 05, 2010, 04:50:59 am »

*raises left hand to reveal the graphite stain along the edge*
I to would like to claim the honour of being a lefty.  May my hand forever be stained by graphite and ink, may my thoughts forever run different to the rights.

as a general rule, for things that require strength and force I use my right hand, for things that require subtlety detail and control I use my left hand.  I hold my mug in the right while stirring in the left.  I throw things with my right.
that said, there are exceptions.  I use scizzors and my mouse with my right.
I never bothered worrying about the whole hand staining thing as a child using pencils, and when pens became a problem I made sure to use instant drying ink pens.  the felt tipped fine liners are the best.  either that or I simply didnt care about the smudgy bits.
Lessian
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #320 on: August 05, 2010, 04:53:40 am »

If my presence here is accepted and a number assigned, I would like to make some kind of pin or badge.
any thoughts?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #321 on: August 05, 2010, 05:11:11 am »

Vienna

eh...yep....used to do that too....my teachers would look at me weird...but after a while, they just quit wondering...I did have one teacher that was anal about it, so that's where the rant came from. Smiley

Being ambidextrous, I've managed to avoid most of those kinds of 'odd looks,' but we did get some funny looks at a festival a while back when I helped a left-handed banjo newbie friend restring his left-handed 5-string banjo. Yes, they really do exist (Gibson and a couple of other mfgs. make them by special order, or used to anyway). It's really just a matter of putting a left-hand-oriented neck on a standard rim assembly.

I understand from others' accounts that it's literally a cast-iron b-- to try to frail left-handedly on a right-hand-necked and strung 5-string banjo.  Wink
Radella Thrushwarbler
Snr. Officer

neophyte fabricator

« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »

Vienna

As a left-handed teacher  I often will tell my left-handed 2nd graders to do this... even though I myself decided graph paper notebooks were preferable, since I could simply turn the notebook sideways! 
(quite happy to find this particular thread, BTW, made me giggle. Count me amongst your numbers!)

<<hope this isn't too rambly, my thoughts are never coherent!>>
Z-Dan
Deck Hand

« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »

I'm not sure if I'm entitled to be here or not...  I'm half-ambidextrous, and before you laugh then allow me to explain
I write with my left, and do what's left with my right.  If that still sounds confusing (which it probably does if you read it aloud), I do all my writing with my left hand but when it comes to scissors, sports, etc I use my right hand (though am still capable of using my left hand- I can use left-handed scissors for example).  It's weird, and as far as I can tell there's no logical reason for it, but because I am capable of doing everything with my left hand if I choose to then am I allowed in?

I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Shameless self plug for a blog that's at least 1/3rd Steampunk: http://talestraversingtime.blogspot.com/
vela
Zeppelin Captain

Ask me about BLOCK 616

« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2010, 04:20:56 am »

It has been so long since I wandered myself over here.  It is so nice to see new members.  *Waves with left hand*.

By the by, as per those pesky sprial notebooks, I turn mine sidewise. Yup, I'm a side-writer.

Also, if you ever have an opportunity, get one of those electrical can openers.  They'll save you from using a lot of bad words...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: