The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 05:01:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The League of Left-Handers  (Read 38884 times)
Drac
Snr. Officer
United States United States

it's a start! what's next?

« Reply #275 on: February 07, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »

seems like you have a really dangerous (but exciting) life o.o

eh, not so much. I just occasionally find meself in these... "situations". *L* and I used to work in not-so-safe part of town.

ah...okay^^

maybe i should start wearing as knife permanently...i live in our towns slum... (but i think the people who live here don´t really understand why because my clothes look like they cost the same as a normal humans food in a month xDDDDD)

I wouldn't recommend carrying a weapon unless you know how to use it very well in a self defense scenario. while sometimes just the intimidation factor of pulling a weapon on a perp is enough to get them to leave ya alone, it's definitely nothing to count on. perhaps attending self defense classes would be a good idea? dunno about there, but stateside you can usually find free or really cheap classes.

it iz pozzible... I think... maybe sort of
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #276 on: February 07, 2010, 09:49:31 pm »

eh, not so much. I just occasionally find meself in these... "situations". *L* and I used to work in not-so-safe part of town.

ah...okay^^

maybe i should start wearing as knife permanently...i live in our towns slum... (but i think the people who live here don´t really understand why because my clothes look like they cost the same as a normal humans food in a month xDDDDD)

I wouldn't recommend carrying a weapon unless you know how to use it very well in a self defense scenario. while sometimes just the intimidation factor of pulling a weapon on a perp is enough to get them to leave ya alone, it's definitely nothing to count on. perhaps attending self defense classes would be a good idea? dunno about there, but stateside you can usually find free or really cheap classes.

i´ve already surched for some selfdefending classes... and i didn´t find any....

Drac
Snr. Officer

it's a start! what's next?

« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2010, 05:15:26 am »

ah...okay^^

i´ve already surched for some selfdefending classes... and i didn´t find any....

no martial arts dojos (schools)? nothing like the ymca or ywca?
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #278 on: February 08, 2010, 01:41:31 pm »

ah...okay^^

no martial arts dojos (schools)? nothing like the ymca or ywca?

nope not here, not where i live... maybe in the next bigger city... but i don´t really want to drive about half an hour for it....
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2010, 11:21:01 pm »

I have just started my girls in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Great self defense martial art and it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed.

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #280 on: February 10, 2010, 04:33:15 pm »

I have just started my girls in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Great self defense martial art and it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed.

Capoeira?

Obviously, I know little about either...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tobias T. Warde, Captain & Detective Inspector

« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2010, 11:04:04 pm »

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is an excellent martial art, some of the things a friend of mine has shown me (basic things) are incredibly effective (he tested them on me to demonstrate  Roll Eyes).

Pocky, if its only 30 minutes, I'd recommend having a look to see what there is available - I travel 1.5 hours to do 2 hours of Sports Fencing, and then spend another hour getting home. I love the sport/martial art that much that I'm willing to spend more time travelling than doing the sport >.<, but if it'd just be 30 minutes each way, then it'd be worth looking into.

Wish I still fenced with rapiers still, that was great, especially as a leftie, a sinistre, as all of the movements, attacks & counters were thought out to be fought between right-handed swordsmen. In I come and mess it all up, and having trained improvised left-handed counters (so I could participate in the drills), I proceeded to confuse my opponents no end.It was also more fun, not to mention more brutal (nothing quite like punching your opponent to the ground with a buckler/swords guard).

G-Man, Half-life 2, Episode 2:
"There was a time when they cared nothing for Miss Vance, when their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #282 on: February 13, 2010, 10:33:02 am »

Pocky, if its only 30 minutes, I'd recommend having a look to see what there is available - I travel 1.5 hours to do 2 hours of Sports Fencing, and then spend another hour getting home. I love the sport/martial art that much that I'm willing to spend more time travelling than doing the sport >.<, but if it'd just be 30 minutes each way, then it'd be worth looking into.

yeah but i don´t have the money to pay the bus or whatever and i don´t want to do sports so badly...
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #283 on: February 15, 2010, 03:07:59 am »

We could all fence together online...*runs to find his bastard sword and khukri*
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #284 on: February 15, 2010, 10:42:05 pm »

xDDD

i love fencing... i had a fencing testing hour in school some years ago... it was awesome.. and easy....ôo
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2010, 09:21:45 am »

uses the kukri and bastard sword to split rails for a fence, and then sets to work building the rail fence.

...Why are you looking at me like that?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 08:06:06 am by MWBailey » Logged
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

Tobias T. Warde, Captain & Detective Inspector

« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2010, 10:36:41 am »

Really? You guys want to fence? Wonderful! WONDERFUL! <grabs 4' rapier & steel square buckler>
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2010, 11:59:52 am »

Another southpaw here.
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2010, 01:42:03 pm »

welcome phuphuphnik!!! *salutes*
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2010, 08:08:58 am »

*salutes Gap'n Ward*

En Garde!
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2010, 04:05:21 pm »

*grabs rapier*

whoo!!!
vela
Zeppelin Captain

Ask me about BLOCK 616

« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2010, 05:17:47 am »

Long fencing match. 

I say, anyone in need of refreshments?

If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)
Janus Zarate
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

Bassist for Vernian Process

VernianProcess
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2010, 06:27:33 am »

I've stopped by so infrequently in recent times that I've lost track of the membership!

Time to take charge again. Wink

Janus Zarate
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

VernianProcess
« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2010, 06:38:56 am »

And now to welcome our newest members:

#44: Jeremiah Thomas Amblar
#45: LadyAsprin
#46: phuphuphnik

Welcome to the League!  Emphasis on your left hands, please, and don't forget to fight for the cause on a daily basis. Grin
LillysWorkshop
Officer

lillysworkshop
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2010, 09:30:44 pm »

I am left handed and constantly notice when other people are left-handed.

Janus Zarate
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

VernianProcess
« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2010, 01:48:30 am »

Lilly, you are now our 47th member. Smiley
vela
Zeppelin Captain

Ask me about BLOCK 616

« Reply #296 on: April 14, 2010, 01:04:49 am »

Cogs, so do I!

Went to a new doctor today.  Noticed he was left handed.  Finally, a reputable doctor.  A sign above his desk read: "We are all born right handed.  Only the greatest among us overcome it."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:06:48 am by vela » Logged
Janus Zarate
Snr. Officer

Gravatar

VernianProcess
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2010, 03:16:42 am »

Me three!

Went to a new doctor today.  Noticed he was left handed.  Finally, a reputable doctor.  A sign above his desk read: "We are all born right handed.  Only the greatest among us overcome it."

I used to have a shirt saying that basic phrase.  In fact, I picked it up at a really cool left-handed goods shop in San Francisco: Lefty's. Smiley

LillysWorkshop
Officer

lillysworkshop
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2010, 08:21:16 am »

Love that shirt!
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #299 on: April 14, 2010, 12:49:55 pm »

Love that shirt!

Seconded, I always enjoy pointing out the world famous lefthanders of history
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:53:20 pm by OswaldBastable » Logged

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: