The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 10:10:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At the Earth's Core  (Read 2210 times)
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« on: February 28, 2007, 02:18:56 am »

The first 12 minutes of this film is PERFECT....great great Steampunk elements...(cool digging machine which has a great Bridge set)...and then they arrive at the earth's core and suddenly it becomes a bad rubber monster movie. The weird thing is, though, that Doug McClure and Peter Cushing are awesome...very good performances....its just those damn rubber monsters Wink

Regardless, its still a fun movie.

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Cory
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:16:18 am »

I can't wait to see this one when Lent is over and I can buy the DVD ^_Q
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 05:27:24 am »

Let me know what you think, Cory. It is still a fun film even though it gets kind of cheesy sometimes.
Brigand
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:24:23 pm »

Doug McClure IS Mr 1970s Steampunk/Victorian Era-Actor.

The Land That Time Forgot
At The Earth's Core
Warlords Of Atlantis
The People That Time Forgot

Classics, all of them.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:34:29 pm »

I've got the Doug McClure boxed set, and I have to say that To The Earth's Core was amazingly cheesy!  Perhaps I'm not as used to it yet, but oh my - even I thought Mr Cushing was going a bit far!  Loved him though, I have such a weak spot for the absent-minded professor archtype.  Not so much for Doug McClure though.
kiskolou
Snr. Officer

Subpelin Underlord

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 02:45:48 am »

I saw this when i was 6, and i think it is what subconciously implanted steampunk into my head.

"There will always be a lost world for you here..." - Atterton

Your reality sir, is lies and balderdash and i am delighted to say i have no grasp of it whatsoever!
Brigand
Deck Hand

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 11:51:00 am »

I saw this when i was 6, and i think it is what subconciously implanted steampunk into my head.

Absolutely! I was discussing this with a friend just recently. My love of all things under the great steampunk parasol was definitely sparked by this film when I saw it on its release in 1976, at the age of eight. Credit must also go to George Pal's The Time Machine, and to a lesser extent, Robert Stevenson's The Island At The Top Of The World.

However, it was only within the last year or so that I came to realise that a whole sub-culture of like-minded individuals existed, and that there was even a defining term to encompass the genre.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 11:57:04 am by Brigand » Logged
S.Sprocket
Administrator
Zeppelin Captain

Industria Proficiscor In!

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 10:02:35 pm »

However, it was only within the last year or so that I came to realise that a whole sub-culture of like-minded individuals existed, and that there was even a defining term to encompass the genre.

"My father says that everybody you see, everyone you talk to is asleep.  There are only a few people that are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total, amazement."

*shrug* I call them "steampunks"  Cheesy

"It's what a cove knows that counts, ain't it Sybil?  More than land or money, more than birth.  Information. Very flash." -Mick Radley

"Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire." --Fred Dibnah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: