The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 10:47:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's build a world!  (Read 4620 times)
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« on: September 05, 2009, 12:36:18 pm »

With little esle to do except think, I came up with a premise for a Steampunk world, which is:

1. Human biotechnology advances to the point at which new races (and I mean new races, alien style, not this messing around with Caucasoid or Negroid or Mongoloid, so you have Angels [humans-with-wings], Merpeople, Dragons, Werewolves, Dwarves, Elves, blah blah blah...) can be created, and the human body can be gifted with the ability to regenerate. Thsi allows also for the creation of several key new species, not least of which is the Air Kraken and the Wyvern.

2. Once this is done, the Sun gets a lot more active, and throws out solar flares that fry all electronics at a rate of a couple a week, although most miss Terra. However, they mean that the other planets are also affected. This drives humanity down to a Steampunk era of technology, but with the added effects of the aformetioned biotech. Aetherships are created, and mankind begins to Terraform and build space colonies... all with the limited technology available.

I've already started work on the planets, I'm just wondering if anyone would like to join me. It's Hard SF, by the way. Oh, and I don't have a name for it yet.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:38:06 pm »

What sort of contributions are you after?

And have you heard, read about Orions Arm - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion's_Arm

19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 02:00:36 pm »

Well, names would be helpful. Currently I don't have a name for the entire world (which is the Solar System; perhaps just Solaria Roll Eyes), and I also don't have names for species ideas. As well as species themselves... I have a few ideas, but nowhere near the potential ones. Places would be good, and...

Perhaps a wiki, once a name is found.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Privateering off HMAS Landeythan

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:50:45 am »

What sort of ideas do you have for the planets? I think terraformed versions of the planets would be cool, having them turned to what people imagined them as - Venus full of hot jungles and swamps, Neptune an oceanic planet, Mars a rugged badland, etc. etc...

What sort of countries are in power on earth and do this terraforming?

"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:17:33 am »

As all of this is just for fun then i propose we lift an idea wholesale from Adam Roberts book Polystom

To quote

Quote from: Adam Roberts
...a 1900-ish aristocratic society [where] the solar system... has breathable atmosphere between its circling worlds; it's also much smaller than ours, and it is possible (as characters do) to fly from planet to planet by biplane.

tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:37 am »

As all of this is just for fun then i propose we lift an idea wholesale from Adam Roberts book Polystom

To quote

Quote from: Adam Roberts
...a 1900-ish aristocratic society [where] the solar system... has breathable atmosphere between its circling worlds; it's also much smaller than ours, and it is possible (as characters do) to fly from planet to planet by biplane.

its a cool idea, but why not a thin atmosphere between them, not readily breathable, so people have to use respirators and the like, with a thin atmosphere you can imagine cities built on asteroids, suspended by lighter than air gas cores, people living dickensonian slum lives in coal ridden asteroid colony dome cities...

just a thought, also in the world you were envisioning, you mentioned looking for species, well i wonder if you have room for a plant species, humanoids powered by the sun and water, with chlorophyll coursing through their veins and as many varieties as there are plants...

just a few thoughts

i myself can imagine the story of an old man to his son;

"i was born on the orbital coal colony of new unkton, my father was a roseling and my mother was a human with farsight, as i dug coal for my daily water rations, i looked through the soot of the dome, imagining the day i might soar through the clouds as an airship captain, exploring the rings of saturn and the inner colonies near dear ole terra prime, so, when i was 18 i brought your mother; a full blood thorin, here, to the coal colony of port neuvo, hoping to barter passage for us as servants or kitchen help aboard the great airship of the line 'graph.'  what a fool i was then... and now as i age, i can see i will never get off this lump of coal, and that you my son, you must take all that is ours, and reach for the clouds"

you dont have to use any of this, but you must admit it sounds groovey

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 10:37:27 am »

well i dint think we should 'wholesale steal' someone else's idea here either, but the idea of some gaseous atmosphere existing between the planets is a cool one... i mean, think about the long airship voyages, the numerous colonised heavenly bodies, the difficulty navigating between the planets...

I'm not sure you should 'move them closer together' so much, keep the solar system as is, just add terraformed planets and a gas cloud, imagine it like terraforming space, or maybe our galaxy collided with a massive nitrogen/oxygen nebulae as part of the reason for increased solar activity....
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:08:38 am »

That could work. I think it's up to 19th Century Space Pilot.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:17:10 am »

...our galaxy collided with a massive nitrogen/oxygen nebulae as part of the reason for increased solar activity....

I think this is a great idea and actually makes more sense than Adam Roberts concept.

By the same extension perhaps the Wright brothers had the first manned flight to the Moon

Amelia Earhart was the first person to fly solo to Mars?

But it was Count Von Zeppelin who launched the deeper interplanetary explorations, if only to construct gas mines [à la Bespin?] to extract Helium, Hydrogen etc from the gas giants like Jupiter, Uranus and Saturn.
Vancouver Air Privateer
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 11:18:45 am »

I like those ideas.

The Wright Brothers planted the first American Flag on the moon...
tophatdan
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 11:27:18 am »

see i think our host was thinking something more futuristic, like history happened as it was supposed to but then when the solar activity increased / the solar system collided with a nebulae, humanity (or whatever you would call the future bioengineered ver. of it) moved out into the stars, terraforming the planets and colonizing them with steampunk technology....

i might be wrong, but i think we are on a great track here, great ideas, empires ruling the planetss, a thin spacial atmosphere, biplane and airship travell amongst the heavenly bodies, and perhaps some fellow by the name of Von Zepplin  did colonize the outer planets, in the name of the anglo empire which arose in central europe after the genetics war of 2237. lol
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 01:37:39 pm »

Yes. The idea's that humans reached a sufficient bioengineering level to divide iteself into the races of old (i.e. mythos), but all that was destroyed when Sol became a lot more active, reducing their technology to Steampunk levels whilest they were still divided into numerous subspecies. This happens sometime around the 20s (2020s, that is), so they hadn't colonized the Solar system before the crash, meaning they have to do it with 19th century space pilots- I mean, craft Cool a.l.a Aetherships.

I'll post the ideas I ad for the planets sometime later today. Mercury has a thin Oxygen atmosphere, pyrolyzed from it's regolith using a mirror to concentrate the solar light, Venus has water clouds (imported from the Jovian Trojans), and supports floating islands (humans can't breathe, but plants do fine), Luna has a thin O2 atmosphere created in the same way as Mercuries...
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 02:03:21 pm »

Okay, I'll post what I've written about the planets so far.

Mercury

Thin Oxygen atmosphere which smoothes out temperature extremes somewhat, although the consequence of this is ultafast winds. Little water vapour in the atmosphere. Some radiation protection due to the atmosphere and magnetic field. Sparesly populated, mainly by technicialns who tend the analog computers that are spread accross the planet, and their support personell. Aethership fuel is Al/LOX monoprop.

Venus

The surface of the planet is a high pressure burning hot hell, but the clouds are at Terran temperatures and pressures. Water imports have transformed the cloudtops into a veritable paradise, despite the atmosphere not being breathable by pure animal species. The planet is populated mainly by Greens, Angels, and Baselines, who inhabit floating colonies and mainly farm. Materials are predominantly organic or carbon based, due to the difficulties in mining the surface. Aethership fuel is Propane/H2O2, unless the Aethership brings sufficient Aluminum along to produce Halo fuel.

Terra

The ancestral homeworld, and arguably the most habitable. It's air is breathable and Oxygen rich, while oceans cover 2/3 of the surface. All races are represented here. It's megafouna include Mammoths, Kraken, Air Kraken, and Wyverns. The surface of the land is littered with artifacts from the former civilisation, but nature has gone a long way towards reclaiming the land. Aethership fuel is Halo.

Sorry, have to stop osting here, due to the computer playing up. I'll continue in another post.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 02:14:53 pm »

Luna

The moon of Terra, so large that some have suggested that the Terra-Luna system is a double planet, Luna is a bustling metropolitan planet that is a hotbed of new development, and houses the Solar Federations government. It is the capital of the Solar system. It has a thin Oxygen atmosphere which serves to protect against radiation and allows aquatic life to thrive. Although the atmosphere is to thin to breathe, it makes life support a lot easier (all that is needed is a buffer gas and compressed air), and allows incoming Aetherships to Aerobrake, saving much fuel. Aethership fuel is Al/LOX.

Mars

Mars has a thin, dry, primarily CO2 atmosphere of sufficient pressure to allow liquid water to run freely and plants to thrive, although most people, barring Greens, require an Oxygen mask to survive outside. It is covered with vast grain fields and forests, which are in the proccess of Oxygenating the atmosphere, while to the north lies a great ocean. Like Terra, alomost all races are represented here, with Merpeople and other Aquatic races inhabiting the oceans and lakes. Aethership fuel is Halo.

And now the computer is messing around again...
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 02:26:56 pm »

Asteroids and Comets

These minor planets offer a refuge to those who's beliefs differ from the mainstream. Volatile rich asteroids are often mined, although asteroids that are solid enough and have sufficient volatiles tend to instead be 'Terraformed' using a large, clear tent envelopes the asteroid, allowing farmsteads to be set up on the surface. Occassionally such tents are completely replaced over time by the leaves of approriate trees, transforming them into Dyson trees - biological space colonies. Sometimes these are transformed further, into Bioships. Stony asteroids are often ignored, since they do not represent a source of volatiles or metals, but some have been transformed into Aetherships and colonies, by tunneling under them and spinning them up. Iron-Nickel asteroids are useless for inhabitation, but represent an enormous source of metals for the construction of Aethercraft, colonies, and other projects requiring such raw materials.

The Aether

With the continuous eruption of the Sun, the local inteprlanetary medium was thickened considerably, mainly by Hydrogen and Helium Ions that stream from the sun. This is still quite insignificant pressure wise, but ships can sail the flood of charged particles from the sun for propellent less travel, using the pressure the solar wind exerts on a magnetic field for propulsion. The interplanetary medium can be collected using magnetic scoops, and pressurized for use as either propellent or life support.
Defame
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 05:27:45 pm »

You can count on me! If u need help i can contribute with some ideas or stories!

I hope it comes up as u like!
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 05:59:30 pm »

If anyone can suggest a name for this worldbuilding project, that would be very helpful. Then I could start a wiki.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 06:09:33 pm »

just a thought, also in the world you were envisioning, you mentioned looking for species, well i wonder if you have room for a plant species, humanoids powered by the sun and water, with chlorophyll coursing through their veins and as many varieties as there are plants...
The aformentioned Greens fit the description. They're devotion to being Green extended so far as to have their skin dyed green by the chlorophyll that produces energy stored from CO2, sunlight, and water. However, due to the energy reqirements of having a brain, they still need high Oxygen concentrations. Although CO2 toxicity is not a problem for them.

Incase anyone's wondering, Halo fuel is Hydrogen/Aluminum/Oxygen fuel combo, or HAlO.
Defame
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 06:16:41 pm »

In a fast sweep trough my imagination, i can figure some nice names, at least i like them, here comes the list:

Arcania.
Machinia
Machi Munda
Inaetia
Loratia
Ryneaos
Kaminabe
Ackomoth
Bleatineyth
Crytaiyth
Defame
Deck Hand
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 06:21:53 pm »

U always have the side story inside the main story, like:

- A renegade captain that became an outlaw but fights for the good side.
- An Impossible love story between people of different Races / Social Classes / Families that hate each other / Etc.
- The evil guy that want power / money / war/ etc.
- The dreamer, someone that dreams to become a pilot / captain / something good
- And much more.
gforce54
Swab

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 07:08:44 pm »

heres some names for you..

Jarocleeth
Tilonians (The great city of Tilonia)
Fretherian
Gravatius
Calicon

as i think of more i'll add them..and im kinda of new to this (just registered today) but this world your making...are you making it for a game your going to run? and if so is it in person or will it b over this site?

"Todays scientists have substituted mathematics for equations, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
    -Nikola Tesla
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 07:17:48 pm »

It's actually worldbuilding for the sake of... worldbuilding. For the mere act of creation. Although stories and games can be set in it, of course....

I'm actually thinking of a simple name for the project. Hmmm.. perhaps Mecha-Solar? Steamsolar? Or even Steamspace (even though there isn't much to do in space, sice most people live on planets Cheesy)
gforce54
Swab

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 07:23:54 pm »

lol ok well it sounds like fun...but why can't you do alot in space? maybe theres a crazy scientist where he thinks that doing things planetside is too conventional. He wants to create with space itself...and because of this new development in how we can traverse, though limited, through space he wnats to build...just a thought tho
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 07:41:47 pm »

I'll cast my "quoz" hat into the ring and vote for SteamSpace, as a handy self-explanatory name to give the world [solar system?]

But it might be an idea to establish some vague ground rules so that it doesn't devolve into silly One-upmanship...

19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 07:59:57 pm »

The main ground rule: this is Hard SF. There is no magic allowed, unless it be soft magic (which, as I explained, is Hard Science in another guise). All things keep within known physics, blah blah blah.

I'll create the wiki whenever I get the chance, as SteamSpace. Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: