The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:47:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working with steel sheet metal  (Read 4904 times)
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 04:12:27 pm »

I just used Jinglejoes set up and apart from being in a rush and going off half cocked and not using a negative image it worked a treat, just what I wanted.
Hail Jinglejoe.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 07:54:24 pm »

Sandblasting - knew a fellow in NC who would make friskets and sandblast metal or glass.

I have heard of folks even acid etching mild steel with Coca-Cola. 

There are also plating pens:

These are so simple even I have used them.  The hardest part is keeping the solutions from drying out. 

-Karl
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 07:58:31 pm »

There is also reposse which is basically hammering the design into the back of the metal to raise it.  There is a lot that can be learned for this very involved art form such as making "negatives" out of a wood stump or lead and collecting a wide variety of hammers and stamps.
hardlec
Snr. Officer

Solutions do not need Problems

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 02:11:57 pm »

Clear Contact paper can be used if Frisket is not available.  Frisket is better.

The simplest way is to paint, maybe using a stencil.

You may want to look at Harbor Freight Tools for steel dies that can stamp letters and numbers.  They are not very expensive, but they are not very large. 

Whatever happens we have got
The Maxim gun and they have not;
Technology is no substitute for Valor
Both are true.
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:38 am »

Since ******* vacated the premises shortly before my arrival we still have a few sheets of what I think is probably stainless steel (not showing any signs of rust or tarnish 8 years down the road) and I am wondering, since this material is non-responsive to magnets, what methods of joining pieces might be advisable? (other than welding!)

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 12:23:25 am »

Since ******* vacated the premises shortly before my arrival we still have a few sheets of what I think is probably stainless steel (not showing any signs of rust or tarnish 8 years down the road) and I am wondering, since this material is non-responsive to magnets, what methods of joining pieces might be advisable? (other than welding!)

It could also be aluminium, the easiest way to tell the difference is by density, aluminium is about a quarter the density of steel.

For either material mechanical or adhesive joining are usually the first choices. For sheet materials there's a lot  to be said for pop rivets, epoxy adhesives also work well with the appropriate surface preparation.

Both aluminium and stainless steel can also be soldered and brazed but, less straightforwardly than other materials, particularly in the case of aluminium.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 02:00:31 pm »

Thank you, Narsil. I'm not sure how else I might test whether it is aluminium, but since, as you say, mechanical joints are likely to be the best option in my case, (I learned to braze as a student and haven't done anything involving brazing in the last thirty years) I shall keep your words in mind when the time comes to start cutting and forming.
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 02:29:42 pm »

Weight is the easiest way to tell the difference between aluminium and stainless steel.

The density of steel is about 7.8 g per cubic cm, aluminium about 2.7.
quatch
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »

You can differentiate between grades of steel by doing a spark test, e.g. http://www.capeforge.com/Spark%20testing.html

You could compare to a known sample of aluminium.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 06:01:58 am »

as far as imprinting your numbers in the steel, you can also use a smaller and larger cold chisel to make roman numerals fairly easily. the chisel edge should be arrow straight and clean and not sharp! if its sharp it will cut through the metal instead of just denting it.

place the metal down on a good hard piece of wood and use the the chisels to dent the metal, the wood will give behind and support the surrounding metal. try to keep the metal in one place so as you use the smaller chisel to dress up the numbers, the areas already dented won't get distorted. lay out the numbers in magic marker or pencil so you have something to follow with the chisels.

practice on extra metal first! that way the quality of the first number will be the same as the last.

also if it is just plain old mild steel, you can use gun bluing to highlight the lettering, just follow the directions as far as cleaning the metal then either very carefully paint the numbers with the liquid (which can be very hard since the liquid is clear) or just blue the area and sand off the excess bluing from the high spots around the indentations.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: