The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 10:51:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working with steel sheet metal  (Read 4897 times)
Foucaults_Builder
Officer
United States United States

« on: August 30, 2009, 01:56:22 am »

I have a nice piece of sheet metal (steel) that I'm working on and I'd like to put some marks on it. It'll
be the dial for a clock so I need to mark the hours on it. I've put this up in the clock forums but I figured
this would be a good place for it as well. I've seen stuff on here about etching, but how will that work on
steel? Are there other options? I might just end up welding raised lettering on, but I don't know just yet.

http://foucaultsbuilder.wordpress.com
"That was when I saw the Pendulum.
The sphere, hanging from a long wire set into the ceiling of the choir, swayed back and forth with isochronal majesty." Foucault's Pendulum
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:14:43 am »

Electrical etching works on all metal that conducts electricity and is solid at above 0oC (note: that includes steel)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:26:19 pm by JingleJoe » Logged

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:57:37 pm »

At the moment I don't have the funds to get equipment to etch. Or I would do that. What other methods might work to imprint clock numbers onto it?
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 09:00:05 pm »

i don't know how it'd work on steel, i've only ever used it for making dies for shaping...
heat colouring / flame colouring might work, what about colouring with metal salts etc?

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:03:24 pm »

At the moment I don't have the funds to get equipment to etch.

Yes you do.

Wink
stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:07:18 pm »

does that etch any sort of metal?

*edit* i just read what you said about any metal that conducts electricity. i didn't realise there was metal that doesn't conduct it. what sort of metals does this not work on?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:08:51 pm by stardust » Logged

and doesn't Mr. Kipling make exceedingly good cakes.......
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 10:19:17 pm »

jingle joe....i think i love you<3
that is simple, effective and cheap, it needs an award.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:25:26 pm »

*edit* i just read what you said about any metal that conducts electricity. i didn't realise there was metal that doesn't conduct it. what sort of metals does this not work on?
Weird kinds, from parts of the periodic table you will never know Wink
Also I need to make an ammendment, it won't work on some which do conduct electricity but are only solid at temperatures at which your etching fluid is also solid- like mercury Wink
punkandska66
Officer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 10:27:01 pm »

Haha, yeah. JingleJoe, I saw you post that on a different thread about five or six day ago. I've been playing with it for a couple hours a day every day since then.  I did an Altoids tin,  then just some junk, then I cleaned this metal piece because there was like half an inch of rust built up on it. Using this method for cleaning actually works really well. It worked a little too well, there were little tiny holes from where it actually went through the whole piece. It adds character.  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:29:01 pm by punkandska66 » Logged
stardust
Zeppelin Captain

friend of polar bear

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »

can you use this method to actually get rid of whole sections of metal? say for example i wanted to remove the centre of some celtic knotwork, if i left it in there long enough would it disappear all together?
punkandska66
Officer

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:44 pm »

can you use this method to actually get rid of whole sections of metal? say for example i wanted to remove the centre of some celtic knotwork, if i left it in there long enough would it disappear all together?
I'm not an expert by any means (like I said, I just started doing this a couple days ago). But I tried this today and it poked holes all the way through my piece. If you use strong enough batteries for long enough it should just dissolve your parts that you want gone. I used two 9 volts wired together, with a 12v light bulb in the circuit to limit the current.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:32:34 pm »

Yes, it just keeps on etching untill there's nothing left to etch.

But be careful if you leave it too long it starts to etch sideways behind the areas covered by paint/tape/whatever, it's best to etch your design almost all the way out then poke and file the rest out.

jingle joe....i think i love you<3
that is simple, effective and cheap, it needs an award.
Oh and thanks Wink It got into make magazine's blog once, thats reward enough Smiley
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 12:02:31 am »

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that easy. Thanks a bunch, I shall try this as soon as I get the pattern set up on my metal. I'll post my results asap.
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 02:25:14 am »

are there other materials that could cover the metal for etching? Like other types of tape? Packing tape? Duct tape? Or anything else? I'd prefer to use what I have on hand as I am rather tapped out as far as funds. I barely have enough for food at the moment. lol
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:54:10 am »

You can cover it with anything, as long as there is a tight seal preventing the etching fluid from coming into contact with the metal, all exposed areas of the peice of metal that are facing the negative electrode (the screw or nail) will be etched away.
sidecar_jon
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:14 pm »

I used paint to mask out bits before etching, and yes you can etch/machine away bits but the sideways creep gets annoying, making it a less than sharp edge, so you can etch most of the pattern away then as said before file the last bits away, be aware that the back needs masking too.

JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 09:39:49 pm »

be aware that the back needs masking too.
Not necessarily, galvanic current only flows from the side facing the negative electrode, so depending if you want to keep it shiney or not the back will only need protecting from the corrosive effect of salt water and not from being etched away.
PennyDreadful
Officer

Studying the white savages of the plains.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 02:47:50 am »

Another option for the numbers on steel would be die stamps. I don't know where he got them but a friend that does tons of metalwork has a set of letters and number stamps for steel. He uses them to put his initials into armor replicas. Some place like Northern Tool might have them. I don't know if old typesetting dies would be hard enough to work or not.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
    Oscar Wilde
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22:48 am »

A simple alternative would be to acquire or design the clock face and digits that you desire in a graphical file on your computational machine. If one prints said design out, reversed,  on stiff paper on a *laser* printer ine now has an iron-on transfer - Since the dry toner ink is "fixed" to the paper by a heater in the printer,  the ink can be transfered via a  normal electrical iron set on high or very high settings (but no steam). Do take care not to torch the paper.
yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 11:19:03 am »

Another option for the numbers on steel would be die stamps. I don't know where he got them but a friend that does tons of metalwork has a set of letters and number stamps for steel. He uses them to put his initials into armor replicas. Some place like Northern Tool might have them. I don't know if old typesetting dies would be hard enough to work or not.

you can easily buy them on ebay, i recently was looking for the smallest alphabet and numbers and there was actually a choice
Kittybriton
Zeppelin Captain

Steampunk: absinthe-minded professors!

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 02:32:10 pm »

A brief addendum on the subject of type metal: since individual pieces of type are normally cast in an alloy of lead, antimony and tin, using them as punches on harder metals is more likely to result in battered faces than a transferred impression. However, I'm sure some very pretty work could be done with a center punch in skilled hands.

Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal
Narsil
Immortal

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 03:10:41 pm »

A brief addendum on the subject of type metal: since individual pieces of type are normally cast in an alloy of lead, antimony and tin, using them as punches on harder metals is more likely to result in battered faces than a transferred impression. However, I'm sure some very pretty work could be done with a center punch in skilled hands.

Thats true, you certainly won;t be able to stamp steel with white metal letters/numbers, however you could atatch white metal type directly  to the steel. Another option is to scribe designs directly into the metal with a sharp tool or cut out patterns with a jewelers saw. If you are interested in mechanical rather than electro/chemical etching its worth bearing in mind that aluminium can be easier to work than steel since most steel sheet is cold rolled and is quite hard. The downside of aluminium is that it tend to clogg abrasives and files and is more difficult to patinate.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 01:27:47 am »

Well due to a lot of random junk going on, I've yet to actually do anything to the face of my clock. Though now things are slowing down and I should be able to fool around with it. I was able to successfully test the electrical etching on another piece of metal so I think I will go that route as it is the cheapest. I'll post pictures when I'm done.
Rev.Hammer
Gunner

Fighting sanity every day!

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 07:35:06 am »

Pardon me,
Is there a ratio of salt to water?
I need to make parts of differing size and some will require a larger amount of water.
Will the salt ratio or voltage differ according to the metal make a difference?
I need to etch nickle, brass, stainless steel, copper, and plain mild steel. Some pieces are 2 feet long, one is about 5 feet by 2 feet, an engine concealment panel in copper.
I apologize for the complexity of my questioning, but I have this insistent urge to do the very best I can.
Thank you all...
Rev.Hammer
Gunner

Fighting sanity every day!

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 07:36:34 am »

I have a 'thing' about metals.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: