The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 07:56:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My clock build  (Read 1521 times)
Foucaults_Builder
Officer
United States United States

« on: August 29, 2009, 10:04:19 pm »

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum and also to the Steampunk world. I've been fascinated with
it for a few years but never did anything myself or got involved with Steampunk. Well I got the idea
that I needed to build something (I used to make model soldiers quite a lot) so I decided to try my
hand at Steampunk. I picked a clock as my first project mainly because at the scrap metal pile, my
clock frame was the first thing I found and I knew immediately what I needed to do with it.
I am in the process of building it and I have documented my work on my blog.

http://foucaultsbuilder.wordpress.com

I would just re post here, but I'm still getting used to forums and blogs and I'm still not familiar with
formatting all this stuff.

Anyway, let me know what you think of it and if you have any ideas of what I should do. A few questions
I have include; what is the best way to attach copper to cast iron? and how do you guys think I should
make the numbers on the clock face? I don't know yet if I want to paint them on or do something else.

http://foucaultsbuilder.wordpress.com
"That was when I saw the Pendulum.
The sphere, hanging from a long wire set into the ceiling of the choir, swayed back and forth with isochronal majesty." Foucault's Pendulum
punkandska66
Officer

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:12:37 pm »

That looks like it's going to be awesome when it's done! It looks great even how it is now.  I think maybe you could etch the numbers on to that circle you cut out. In some fancy cursive font, I bet that would look nice. But it's just an idea, you do whatever you think will be the coolest for you. But yeah, looks really cool. Be sure to post pics when it's finished.

Now where do I get me a plasma cutter...
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:16:56 pm »

Now where do I get me a plasma cutter...

lol, the best way to get your hands on one, is to work for someone who has one. Pretty much
all the tools I use are from my place of work. I work for grounds and fleet at my old college and
I get free reign of the workshop after hours. Every tool a machinist would need is in there. Plus
my boss is a master. He's helped me a bit, specifically with making the clock dial.
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:22:24 am »

* UPDATE * So I think, using the "How To" section, I found a way to etch the lettering onto my clock dial. I have a few methods in my head to accurately place the numbers onto the dial. However I wanted to see if anyone had experience and/or a quick way to effectively space out the numbers.
punkandska66
Officer

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:51:41 am »

I guess just do 360/12 which will end up at 30. So every 30 degrees will be the center of where your numbers should be. I would make a small mark with a pencil at each of these points. Then you paint on your numbers according to these points (or you could do it negative, and paint all but the numbers), and etch! Good luck etching and with everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: