The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 12:37:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little old-time hints and tips on how to fix stuff  (Read 7485 times)
quantumcat
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »

Showerheads,steam irons,cod,jellyfish spines and pommes frites all seem to benefit from a bit of malt vinegar.

Vinegar can clean soap and conditioner residue from hair,soothe irritated skin,help subdue unwanted yeasts (from skin-not beverages or baked goods) and turn an odiferous brown dog into a frangrant-furred pink one.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 08:04:04 am »

if someone is complaining about the flavor of diet cola, just tell them to add some regular granulated sugar to the glass.

won't do anything for the taste, but the mess is spectacular!

also makes good "lava" for a volcano, if the kids need to do a science project for school. a light under a clear glass in the volcano will let the cola glow nicely before you add the sugar.

old pantyhose make good lint filters for the discharge hose on washing machines, much easier to clean than the trap and pipes under the laundry sink!  a twist tie will hold a leg onto the hose if you slide it back to the corrugated flex pipe

a bit of cider vinegar can knock down heartburn quite nicely. I take mine with white or northern bean soup, gives the soup some zing and avoids the obvious side effects.

a bag of kitty litter in the trunk of the car can be used to help get some traction when stuck in the snow.
it's relatively cheap and bio-degrades. the neighborhood cats will like it too. just be sure to keep the bag dry in something like a plastic tub or bag. just throw handfulls down in front of the tires (the ones that are spinning) and even stick a handfull on any snow stuck to the tire treads, it will pull it under to the ground when you SLOWLY spin the tires.

always dig out the tires that DON'T spin, they won't clear the snow out of their way like the spinning tires do. that is especially true on rear wheel drive cars and trucks. usually it helps to go the opposite way you want to before you get unstuck. if you plan to go forward, try to back up a few inches and get a little running start. inertia for the win. rocking can help too. just tap the gas and then let the car fall back the other way, then tap it again and again, like riding a swing. once you get a few inches of rocking room, go for it but dont spin the tires too much or you just lose your inertia.

if you find yourself driving on black ice, slip the car into neutral if it gets wiggly, it will help considerably when trying to stop too.
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 11:09:33 am »

Showerheads,steam irons,cod,jellyfish spines and pommes frites all seem to benefit from a bit of malt vinegar.

I think vinegar always comes up in these "old time hints" tips on various websites.    Its one of those things that actually isnt forgotten knowledge at all, just crowded of the average consumers mind by the incessant advertising machine that wants you to BUY the latest chemical cleaner (with forest pine scent).
The pharmaceutical manufacturing place where I work uses massive amounts of acetic acid as cleaning fluid.
Waterbug
Gunner

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2009, 09:13:54 am »

Deglazing a pan, in addition to normal use of adding favor, will also clean a non-non-stick pan in an instant. Deglazing is just putting a bit of liquid, water when cleaning, when the pan is hot enough for the water to boil.

Regular string, nylon, cotton, wrapped around most plastic pipe, PVC, ABS and then pulled back and forth will cut the pipe pretty easily too. Great for pipes in walls or especially in the yard since you don't have to dig a huge hole. This trick is also good for winning bets.

Many of the vinegar tips related to acid can be done faster with a stronger acid. I mix my own dilutions using muriatic acid. One gallon, $6, of muriatic acid will make about 100-500 gallons of cleaner, that's $3600-$18,000 worth of Lime-a-way. Works better because you can adjust the strength to the need. Obviously working with hydrochloric acid requires a bit of research and care.

Obsession is my mistress and she is a bitch.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 12:03:56 am »

Well, another way to remove permanent marker from smooth surfaces like glass or dry erase boards is to mark over the previous mark and immediately wipe it before it's dry. Works with dry erase markers, too.

Like often is best to remove like. An old British Bike owner once said 'To remove old oil stains [from under the bike], use new oil'.

HP.

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Phineas Lamar Alexander
Snr. Officer

« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2009, 08:51:09 am »

I have found tobacco ashes to be useful when polishing most metals.

I also use baking soda as a remedy for acid reflux.

A roll of twine and some electric tape can make a fairly good replacement fan belt for a stranded automobile.
Tie several passes more than 7 around all the pulleys and tape off every 3 inches or so.
(It will get you to the parts store or in my case to my next paycheck!)

A dab of household ammonia will take the sting and itch out of mosquito, fly, and ant bites.
It doesn't work for bee or wasp stings.

A clove of fresh garlic crushed and applied in an infected wound will kill the staph bacteria likely causing the infection. Burns like the dickens but will even kill some of the antibiotic resistant strains.

Vinegar will remove the sting from a sun burn.

A few tablespoons of automatic transmission fluid down the carburetor while a car is running will clean the valve seats of older cars... Not recommended for cars with catalytic converters!

Brasso or NeverDull will remove the minor scratches from plastic watch crystals.

A zippo style lighter or trench lighter will work on ordinary gasoline or even diesel. (they used to tie a string to the inside workings and drop them into the fuel tanks on just about anything from generators to tanks in the european theater to refill them! The felt and batting inside will only soak up so much.)

Baking Soda will make a porcelain sink or tub shine like new. It tends to pick up the oils our bodies leave behind better than expensive bathroom cleanser.

Laserpunk
Officer

Rogue Laser Enthusiast

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2010, 07:18:11 am »

I'm just using a vinegar solution to decalcify my coffee machine. Lately, it took about an hour to run through.

The correct way of descaling a coffee maker is to use citric acid. Dissolve 1 oz of citric acid in 4 cups of hot water, then add 4 cups of cold water to the mixture. Then just run it through. After, flush the system twice with cold water.

When I get a wart I just rip it out. I guess you can use ice to numb, but make sure you get every bit, or it will come back.

EDIT: Oops, sorry for bumping a dead thread.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:20:57 am by Laserpunk » Logged

Don't be proud of something you bought, be proud of something you built.

Companies I personally endorse for lasers, and accessories. Don't get ripped off on eBay.

www.O-like.com www.rayfoss.com www.dragonlasers.com www.optotronics.com

For parts, diodes and modules http://www.modwerx.com/
cptn. C
Snr. Officer

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 10:49:33 am »

to numb the pain of bee and wasp stings chew up some cigarette tobacco and place on it.
vinegar can be used to clean up windows and merors (sorry about the spelling its late and i cant think right)
if you have trouble with your glasses or goggles fogging up spit in them and rub it around thin rinse them off
electrical tape can be used to patch a hole in water hose for a temp fix
in an emergency superglue can be used to close a cut (although it burns like h**l)
electrical tape can be used as a turnaket (spell check fails me) or a emergency bandage
duct tape works to get fiberglass out of the skin
if your feet get cold in the winter put some chilly power in your shoes, it improves the circulation in your feet and keeps them warm
if you have a tool that wont move stoke it in kerosene
a leather belt and balling wire can make a temp fan belt to get you to the part store
pantyhose and nylon pillow stuffing make a quick water filter for a poll

sorry for rambling and if some of these tips don't belong hear (again i apologize for the spelling)

if you don't live for something, you die for nothing
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 05:26:00 am »

if you have trouble with your glasses or goggles fogging up spit in them and rub it around thin rinse them off

Um, not my spit. I once was goofing around with a freind and licked my finger and put it to her glasses. It actually lightly etched a finger shaped mark on the lens. I'm not sure why or how.

Chris Emrys
Deck Hand

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2010, 06:12:39 am »

Not really "old-time" but if you ever need to remove permanent marker from glass or plastic use a bit of lock de-icer. Put the de-icer liquid directly on the mark that needs to be removed, let sit for a few seconds then wipe off with a tissue or paper towel.

Well, another way to remove permanent marker from smooth surfaces like glass or dry erase boards is to mark over the previous mark and immediately wipe it before it's dry. Works with dry erase markers, too.

Very true. Reapplying marker/paint/varnish/etc will redissolve the pigments and make it easier to remove. I find this often works better than whatever solvent is marketed for that product.

For example - the ladies probably know this already - if you paint your nails with a dark color and then try to take it off later with nail polish remover you'll probably still have stains that the solvent can't remove. But for some reason there is no staining when you use more nail polish to remove it since it comes right off.

It is also a handy trick to know if you mess up trying to get a smooth coat of paint, just go over it again with more paint before it dries and you should be able to rework it to get rid of the lumps or streaks.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: