The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 03:49:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another "you don't see one too often" watch tool..  (Read 1536 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:36:48 am »

This is for properly fitting a glass pocket watch crystal, "the old way"

Crystals are measured in lignes and fractional lignes  (a ligne is 1/32") so a crystal might be lsited as a 19 12/16 size..

The picture below shows an enlarged cross section of a bezel. Note that there are three measurements of interest. The first is the bezel opening. This is the opening that the crystal must fit through. Next is the diameter of the crystal and then crystal seat. You measure the bezel opening rather than the crystal seat opening. If you order a crystal that matches the crystal seat opening, it will be too small, and flall through the bezel. Look at the crystal diameter, see that it is slightly larger than the bezel opening. So how does it fit?

You will typically find a crystal that just fits through the bezel opening. The next size up will then be the correct crystal. It is possible to fit this larger crystal into the opening (and here's the trick).. You need one of these:

A Bezel Warmer!

This gadget heats up the bezel, making it expand slightly. Drop in the crystal, and once the bezel cools, its held in place by a nice tight friction fit. Sadly , nowadays, most watchmakers order the closest fit crystal and use UV setting crystal cement..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
fciron
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Getting it hot and hitting it hard

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:14:23 am »

Sweet. I don't do the watch stuff, but I have a bearing warmer on my pie-in-the-sky list. Especially if I could find a nice old one with a crinkly finish and brass name-plate. Given that I need it barely bi-annually I usually just warm up a big hunk of steel.

Unless surgically removed my tongue will remain planted firmly in my cheek at all times.
Mr. Boltneck
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 02:15:34 am »

OK, that's just nice. I had heard about these, but never seen a photo. Thank you.
Lucius Voltaic
Snr. Officer

I need a cup of the brown stuff, shade of an acorn

LuciusVoltaic
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:31:34 pm »

WOW WOW AWESOME

"The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations."
--General Baron Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord
Burr
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

My bark is worse then my bite

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 02:52:30 am »

Looks like an upside down coke can with an electric heater.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: