The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:06:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Phantom Manufacturing Co.  (Read 974 times)
A.G.Morgan
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Mechanocycle rider of Indian Territory

« on: August 10, 2009, 12:39:22 am »

I came across this on a motorcycling site and felt the need to bring it to the attention of this forum.

thePhantom Manufacturing Co.

Undoubtedly the most steampunk motorcycle company I have ever heard of.

Get off the tracks! Here comes the train o' thought!
anno
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:53:01 pm »

And the bike
sounds fantastic
too.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 05:57:47 pm »

More steampunk than Timeless Motyor Co.?

*checks*

Hmm, pretty damn close in terms of awesomeness if you ask me.. though for different reasons.. I think the Timeless machines are prettier, and more akin to their historical counterparts.. no doubt the Phantom machines offer much more day-to-day usability..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:33:44 pm by akumabito » Logged

Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:58:23 pm »

Fantastic, yes...but only in the original sense of the word; fantasy.
Obviously, this is a joke. They have not as yet produced a motorcycle,other than the 'prototype', which is a modified Norton. They are unlikely to ever produce a motorcycle, and I don't think they really intend to. Nice pages, though- very much Steampunk in spirit. The odds that anyone is ever going to give them $30,000.00 up front to custom make a bike are slim to none. The bike in the pictures, and, I think, the same one in the video, is a modified Norton.

-T

Yet well thy soul hath brooked the turning tide, with that innate, untaught philosophy,Which, be it wisdom, coldness, or deep pride, is gall and wormwood to an enemy.
Erasmus Thump
Swab

Erasmus Thump in a hat of his own invention

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:05:48 pm »

My Dear Sirs, this is certainly no joke. We recently ran the Phantom EG at Donnington Park race track and then later displayed at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. At the end of this month we are taking the EG over to the Isle of Man to participate in events associated with the Manx GP. I believe this is likely to be the last display of Phantom EG '001' in our custodianship as it is due to go to its new owner shortly thereafter. Is it a Norton? Well, the motor and gearbox are of Norton Villiers origin as JL and I had a long-standing cooperative agreement during his lifetime. We felt it was our homage to my long-past friend and his fine work.
The frame is completely our design and construction and was two years in development so that it might be able to accommodate a wide range of motors. It is hand built by our craftsmen of modern steel and all gas bronze welded as we are experienced in this form of production. We also produce all the tin work of course. I do not believe Norton ever produced a machine exactly like the Phantom EG, but I suppose the closest they came was with their BR model of 1920, though that machine had a 490cc side-valve single-cylinder motor, direct belt drive, and Druids front suspension.

Orders for two more EGs have been received and we are beginning the work as we speak. One will be particularly special as it will have at its heart a longitudinal four cylinder motor.. a first for Phantom! Please do keep an eye on the site as we have just about enough time to keep it up to date and will do so. You may wish to purchase a current copy of Classic Bike magazine as there is a story there on the Phantom and includes some lovely action shots of the EG.

I thank you for your kind attention...

Thump

Erasmus Thump
Founder
The Phantom Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
Makers of Fine Machines for Discerning Gentlemen
Sgt.Major Thistlewaite
Zeppelin Admiral
Gibraltar Gibraltar

I am, therefore I think.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:48:52 pm »

My Dear Mr. Thump,

My apologies, then, Sir, and I wish you the best of luck with your endeavour. Having enjoyed British motorcycles for many years, I appreciate the craftsmanship of your Phantoms. I once owned a very limited production 1959 Enfield Indian, and currently have a Triumph. My interests have advanced beyond cycles in my dotage, though, and my current "love affair" is with this....

Motorbikes are great fun, but flying is more so...and I don't have to worry about some blue-hair in a Buick running me over. In any case, I wish you success at the Isle of Man.

Your servant, Sir,
T.E. Thistlewaite
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:50:01 pm »

Oooh, I'll be keeping a lookout for the straight four bike! What engine will you be using??
Erasmus Thump
Swab

Erasmus Thump in a hat of his own invention

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:35:48 am »

Ahh, an aerogyro...how exciting! One of our firm, Titus Bottomly, acqui8red an unnatural interest in early mechanical flying machines. He managed to construct a device that would allow him to achieve vertical lift from his back garden. Sadly, during a test in his shed, the thing screwed itself four feet into the Cambridgeshire soil. It was never recovered. Sadly, Titus' canine friend, Buford, was at the helm at the time. All honours were duly bestowed upon the poor beast. As it turns out, Enoch, titus and I all becamwe quite enamoured by lighter-than air flight, though this proved to be contributory to our undoing in 1929...more on that on the website so I won't bore you with that here.

As for Phantom EG "4". We have spoken with some friends in Denmark and have acquired a Nimbus 750cc motor and gearbox and differential. We believe the resulting EG will not be as quick as the single-cylinder version we are producing for an other customer (using a JAP, 350cc motor), but that, with the right handlebars, could be a fine, sport-touring machine.

regards,
Thump
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: