The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 04:43:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needs some fixin but oh so lovely  (Read 1318 times)
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« on: August 06, 2009, 02:16:03 am »

I found this a while back

aint she lovely.

I love finding such at thrift shops.

anyway the winding key is missing but that's really minor, the big problem is the spring that runs up the back is broken.

It supports the multi sphere spinning pendulum thing at the bottom and works the timing. It looks to be made of a thin small ribbon type of spring steel... almost like the stuff they make some scowering pads out of.

I think once that is placed properly it should run fine. andy tips on how to go about it?

It has a plastic ring on the base and a plastic face but everything else looks to be brass.

Ambrose P. Atwater
Gunner

Can't I set just ONE person on fire?

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 02:24:46 am »

Lovely! I found one exactly like it a week ago. Picked it up for $5, though the key doesn't fit.

Sorry bout the spring. Don't know enough to help you out.

It's not our words that define us nor is it our actions. It is our motivation behind what we do.
Liberty92
Swab

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:03:35 am »

i have one of these, got it from my grandpa when he died, it works and everything
clockdug
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:39:19 pm »

You need the suspension spring for the torsion pendulum; hopefully the related parts are all there though they aren't hard to find if missing.  The springs are pretty specific if you want the clock to run properly, but luckily there are a small number of movement designs and details are easy to come by.  Suspension springs for 400 day clocks are cheap at timesavers.com.  Look at this page 22 and 23 of the catalog:
http://www.clock-keys.com/pdf/Categories/suspension%20springs.pdf

I may even have some springs lying about that fit.  If you can post a pic of the back plate I'll be able to tell the exact size spring you need.  Depending on the movement I may even be able to give a date range for it. 
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:46:29 am »

Thank you very much, now I just need the time and the spare change it will take and I'll be good as new.

Very busy now, I thought I'd get a chance to recover from my latest adventure but nooooooo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: