The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:57:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Club of the Damned- the Fortean Society  (Read 12154 times)
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

beautious thorn

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2010, 02:38:35 am »

Hmm how about my child is across the country and i know there is something wrong intuition?

"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Miriavas
Deck Hand

Prof of Myriad

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2010, 02:42:13 am »

Can't be explained so easily Lilith. It just is.

For the Benefit of Brass Goggles
the following signature is forthwith to be announced.

Signed your humble servant,
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2010, 03:05:15 am »

Well, I think there´s been plenty of kidnapping cases where the parents could just feel in their hearts that their child was still alive. Then whe the child is found, it´s obvious they´ve been dead for weeks.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:38 am »

there is some confusion of empathy, being able to appreciate the circumstance of another with the paranormal. One may be worried on a regular basis for a family member, but will only recall the incident which reinforced this memory, not all of those occasions when the worry was not justified.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2010, 11:20:37 pm »

What about children who perfectly describing long dead realatives they had no contact with? And auditory memmories of songs they heard when under the age of three?

And in the relative case no piccies are kept or have been lost for more then a decade in the last family move.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2010, 11:35:27 pm »

false memory syndrome does account for these circumstances, as does taking up subconcious cues from a parent to provide the correct answer. There is the actual case of a horse who appeared to be able to undertake simple mathematics, by counting out the answer with hoof strikes. The horse hadn't learnt mathematics, in that it learnt to read the voice, body language, and facial cues of its handler, so that it knew when to stop. Change the handler and it couldn't answer.

Still pretty clever of the horse.
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2010, 04:52:56 am »

that might be a bit of a stretch. I have auditory memmories of my grandfathers voice, and i've never seen a piccie of him. My earliest memories are all sound and feeling. MY mom never talked about him until after I told her i remembered a voice singing to me as a small child in punjabi.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2010, 11:07:19 am »

On a QI rerun yesterday, they were discussing a device that was basically a morse code machine but used snails. Apparently snails can telepathical empathise with their mates over huge distances. So he lined up 24 snails and glued them to a board, then did the same to their mates on a different board and send them to another country. When say, the snail for H was tickled and it squirmed, allegedly its partner snail, also H would wriggle on th other board, and thus the message was send via snail poking.

Or snail mail.

Apparently this is a true story. Stephen Fry won't lie!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2010, 01:15:48 pm »

I could certainly imagine someone making such a board. They tried some odd things as well back when they were trying to get accurate clocks for navigation. I´ll look it up, but seems unlikely to work. Who is a snail´s mate anyway, aren´t they hermaphrodites?
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2010, 06:46:17 pm »

Exactly, its flaws like that which make me doubt the story.
Miriavas
Deck Hand

Prof of Myriad

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2010, 08:25:30 pm »

Atterton, What is your take on EVPs?

Many septics simply say they are all faked because they can't come up with a better explanation. I doubt this is so. Not everyone could be lying as there are tens of thousands of people picking them up, even without trying.

A large portion of ghost pictures can be explained away in one way or another. I discount all orbs because it is too easily dust, snow, moisture, etc. Mist I might accept if there is no sign of tampering with the picture and it's not cold, (No exhale of breath from photographer or person near by), and other debunking factors. And some are clearly unexplained and some are strange but explainable.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2010, 09:02:06 pm »

I´ve never really had much interest in EVP. From what little I know it seems the same "message" says different things to different people. In some cases people can´t even agree on what language it´s in. Doesn´t make me see it as particularly credible.
SashaGears
Gunner

Black Market Treasure Hunter

hexinfiniti
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2010, 02:37:04 am »

I'll just see if any of you have theories to this.

excluding that I was young and having nightmares, because that was most definitely not the case.

I have literally no memory of my childhood except for very vivid little chunks of when I lived up north

to be blunt, I used to hear horrible screams coming from my open closet door, while I was wide awake. It would always start as whispers, then grow into horrible screams, multiple voices, also a sound that was a mix of a cat's howl and an alligator gurgle. once I fell out of the bed and tried to scream but no sound came out, I was also incapable of crawling away untill my sister picked me up off the ground. last year I woke up with series of scratches all over my body, the largest one earlier in 2009 scaling from my lower hip area all the way diagnolly across my chest to my armpit, shallow cuts that had obviously bled enough to clot a little. and just recently I keep hearing scratching noises coming from above where I sleep but there is nothing in the attic nor in the walls that we busted down and called someone to check up on.

sooo theories? make me feel better.

"We're incredibly misunderstood, and so they label us witches...we're locked away in Containment zones, by those who would condemn us."-Noah, Arc of Gelen
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2010, 11:26:19 pm »

Sounds like classic 'Night Terrors' a semi sonambulant state where semi-paralysis, dreamlike hallucination and involuntary movement are combined. Commonly this is depicted as a demon like form squatting on the chest of the afflicted.
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:37 pm »

"the Nightmare"
Henry Fuseli
exhibited 1782

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2010, 12:16:27 am »

Exactly the image from the FT article on Night Terrors from a few years ago, and perfectly illustrates this is a well documented medical phenomena, and not an indication of supernatural phenomena.   

Must go now to watch the Curse of Peladon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: