The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 10:29:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ball-jointed mercenary  (Read 1817 times)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Official Steam Faerie

« on: July 27, 2009, 06:56:08 am »

I suppose this belongs in tactile,and the finished product in pictures goes into anatomical.*nod*

In my usual random muse-driven doodlings,I created Marlena Lutz.
...Also known as Minette...and Mrs.Edwina Blake...Orna Price...and (her favourite nickname)Schadenfraulein.
 This woman developed into a tad more than typically loopy mercenary with a large collection of scars which she treasures.Among the scars are two gashes across her right thigh,a slash from a slit throat,old musket ball wounds...
  Her pride and joy though,is what belongs in this thread.
In a particularily gruesome on-the-job accident,Marlena's left arm was liberated from its proper place.
To replace the missing limb,she acquired a somewhat clunky ball-jointed arm.

The arm is to be put together as a cast sheath of my real arm.Not sure what material it will be yet,but the intent is to build it up so that I can mimic the ball in the joint.It will be colored to completely not match my skintone and thus be very obviously fake.A spring on the inside of the elbow was suggested.
  The top will be wrapped in a brown leather harness that will fasten across my chest.

Photos shall be added as progress is made-as well as the original sketchy bits.

H.I.M.,Empress Kirix,Steam Faerie,Alchemical Creation
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »

you may find your arm becomes very damp very quickly if the material is snug and doesn't breathe at all.

sounds like a great concept, can't wait to see how you pull off the joints!
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:39:43 am »

The man speaks truth - you will be very unpleasantly surprised! Perhaps sheath the arm area in some fabric, and have a regular series of holes, slits, or perhaps an expanse of metal mosquito netting (otherwise known as window screening) . That will let your skin breathe.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:20:07 am »

The elbow joint will likely be open somewhat as well as the wrist area,so air will be able to move.
  Plus,I'm well traine din dealing with being covered for hours in annoying latex.(Haunting,Silent Hill nurse...Mask adhered to all of my face besides my lower jaw/mouth and only the mostly covered eye hole for ventilation.sweeeeat)
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:42:52 am »

Ideas needed as this piece progresses-I've been given the suggestion I make recessed compartments along the arm.Store my s.o.'s pipe tobacco,money,et cetera.

Ideas on how to do this given the arm is basically a molded sheath over my real arm?All I've got at this point is possibly cutting out the compartment areas,putting a higney bit on them and attaching a fabric backing that the item will sit in beneath the 'door'.
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 07:11:32 am »

Hm. Might have to just fake it, methinks. Basically, just lines and knobs that suggest there are compartments, but don't make them functional. That is, if you intend to make it nothing more than a sheath over your natural arm.

Otherwise, you WILL have to make the item larger than your arm to contain enough space to make usable compartments along your arm.
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 07:23:57 am »

Hm. Might have to just fake it, methinks. Basically, just lines and knobs that suggest there are compartments, but don't make them functional. That is, if you intend to make it nothing more than a sheath over your natural arm.

Otherwise, you WILL have to make the item larger than your arm to contain enough space to make usable compartments along your arm.
Hm,I fear you're entirely correct sir.
Blast.
miststlkr
Officer
Canada Canada

Neophyte Fabricator

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:30:59 am »

Well, you could always take a chunk out of the flesh of your arm... sacrifice for the sake of your art :-P  But I don't recommend that too highly. LOL

This space for rent
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:27:15 am »

how exactly are you going about the basic arm shape?
if you are doing a cast of your arm first and then forming the casing on that then some subtle changes over the cast could allow for a little room without too much obvious fiddling.

push on your arm in various places, you will notice a fair ammount of give as long as the muscles are relaxed. as long as you have no sharp edges or cause too much pressure over any major veins or arteries, you should be able to add a few storage areas. combined with a subtle curve over the surrounding  area to add depth, you should do quite fine. to really mess with people, you could make one side of the arm have a little panel indented in a bit with a panel around the opposite side slightly open the same amount, like its a box thats completely through the arm.

ever notice how bracelets and armbandy things can squeeze the flesh and make a pronounced step? maybe you could use something in the arm pieces to take advantage of that effect at the shoulder and elbow.
practice your body painting and you might even be able to convincingly paint your shoulder and elbow to look like wood or whatever material you want the mechanical arm to look like. you could spirit glue on the bits like the pivot pin ends.

you never really said whether the arm is supposed to be merely decorative or appear functional, like a steam powered or clockwork arm.
if its decorative then you don't need to do more than a cast like affair, with no flex to it. just pick a comfortable position.
if your hand is to be a fingers locked side by side sort of doll hand, maybe you could just dip it in a suitably colored rubber and make a sort of temporary glove.
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:35:12 pm »

how exactly are you going about the basic arm shape?
if you are doing a cast of your arm first and then forming the casing on that then some subtle changes over the cast could allow for a little room without too much obvious fiddling.

push on your arm in various places, you will notice a fair ammount of give as long as the muscles are relaxed. as long as you have no sharp edges or cause too much pressure over any major veins or arteries, you should be able to add a few storage areas. combined with a subtle curve over the surrounding  area to add depth, you should do quite fine. to really mess with people, you could make one side of the arm have a little panel indented in a bit with a panel around the opposite side slightly open the same amount, like its a box thats completely through the arm.

ever notice how bracelets and armbandy things can squeeze the flesh and make a pronounced step? maybe you could use something in the arm pieces to take advantage of that effect at the shoulder and elbow.
practice your body painting and you might even be able to convincingly paint your shoulder and elbow to look like wood or whatever material you want the mechanical arm to look like. you could spirit glue on the bits like the pivot pin ends.

you never really said whether the arm is supposed to be merely decorative or appear functional, like a steam powered or clockwork arm.
if its decorative then you don't need to do more than a cast like affair, with no flex to it. just pick a comfortable position.
if your hand is to be a fingers locked side by side sort of doll hand, maybe you could just dip it in a suitably colored rubber and make a sort of temporary glove.

Bah,I should've clarified.
  Yes,this will be functional.It's supposed to be made-as my dad came up with,a sort of sheath that will simply slide over my arm,have open bits to mimic the ball-joints.
 I figured the little holes would work by cutting the shape and attaching a fabric pouch to the underside so they don't take up a of space.

I expect it to look somewhat bulky,which is alright given that it's supposed to look fake(different skin tone,the joints of course,the leather holder bit on my shoulder.)
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 12:41:29 am »

Perhaps a rubber (or other) "kid"-type sports ball, appropriately-finished, for the elbow, under the "cast" bits to give the "ball-jointed doll" look?

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
+Kirix+
Snr. Officer

Official Steam Faerie

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 07:26:32 pm »

Ooh...OOH!Harlock,that's a brilliant idea!
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 01:17:36 am »

Thanks - you are always an inspiration to creativity, Miss Kirix Smiley

a fairly-tight glove could also have smaller hollowed-out balls of some sort (Nerf ammo?) attached at the joints and carry the "Japanese Ball Jointed Doll" motif all the way from shoulder to hand

A bad ASCII illustration:

O-------O--------O-----o--o-o-
shoulder    elbow   wrist     fingers

I look forward to seeing the finished product Smiley
The Inventor
Snr. Officer

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 06:50:28 am »

Thanks - you are always an inspiration to creativity, Miss Kirix Smiley

a fairly-tight glove could also have smaller hollowed-out balls of some sort (Nerf ammo?) attached at the joints and carry the "Japanese Ball Jointed Doll" motif all the way from shoulder to hand

A bad ASCII illustration:

O-------O--------O-----o--o-o-
shoulder    elbow   wrist     fingers

I look forward to seeing the finished product Smiley

You could also use one of those desk lamps with the springs and such, it wouldn't be hard make them
fit over your arm, they're close to period too. And you can attach stuff to them easily.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: