The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 05:54:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look what I found in my old storage unit!  (Read 1505 times)
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Angel of Timefoolery

« on: July 25, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »

More to the point, look how I finally managed to figure out how to share a pic of it!  Wink

It's my grandmother's clock:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm cleaning the space out so I won't have to pay an extra $200US in rent on some old stuff any more.  I keep finding things I had forgotten, or near-forgotten, about.  Most of it's schlock.  But occasionally I find something I'm going to keep, like this.

It doesn't run; I'm going to look into having it repaired.  Harvesting its gears would be sacrilege.

My goofball father suggested selling it.  Not sure if he'd been drinking at the time.

"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:42:32 pm »

Very nice. Smiley  Looks like an Ansonia mantle clock, about 1890.

What material is it made from (wood, slate, french black marble, cast iron)?  From looking about the internet lately, I would say it's probably worth around $130 to $200, but I'm no expert.  However a few websites do list astronomically ridiculous prices for clocks like these... One similar to a French mantle clock of mine, was listed over $10000!  It's only worth about £200 - £400 tops, in the UK - Think I need to start selling them to the USA!...  Cheesy

I would definitely have it restored, it looks great.

I've recently been in the process of restoring the cases of three french black marble mantle clocks, two were actually found in a barn about 30 years ago, and the other was found being used as netty (outside toilet) door stop, about 40+ years ago.  Grin  They were in a terrible state, but have cleaned up quite well. Sadly two are non runners (but are going to be cleaned and fixed) and the other is just the case (to be used for a project). Going to post them up when I'm finished. Smiley

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nikola Tesla
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Angel of Timefoolery

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:05:21 am »

Hard to tell on the material.

I know where it is from - New haven, Connecticut, from the New Haven Clock Company.  Heh.

Like there are any jobs in New haven these days; my sister lives there and now you either work for Yale or you're homeless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: