The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 03:43:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Methods for Substance Removal  (Read 1237 times)
Morse
Deck Hand
United States United States

Fireflies and Empty Skies

« on: July 22, 2009, 10:21:00 pm »

So, I was stumbling around my house looking for neat things I might use someday.  That was when I found a massive cache of wondrous objects I had once seen in a wet dream.  Gears, old tools, hinges, and a few things which I have no clue what they are.  But the problem is, almost all of it is covered in rust.  I think that a bit of iron oxide doesn't look too bad, but this is ridiculous.

I didn't want to limit this to rust, but I want to know what the wonderful world of Steam Punk modders thinks about removing things from metal or their materials.  Please don't just answer my question either, post the techniques you frequently use for this type of thing.

Knowledge, my purpose.  The skies, my vessel.  Time, the wind in my sails.
The stars, my destination.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:23:01 pm »

I just get a scrubbing brush and put my back into it Smiley

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:04:22 pm »

I thought you were going to ask on advice for getting rid of illegal drugs.  Cheesy

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:21:53 pm »

wire wheel on a bench grinder... works like a charm...

Zwack
Zeppelin Admiral

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:31:26 pm »

Depending on the state...

Sandpaper, scouring pads, steel wool, paint/rust removal disk, dremel, brass brush...  or anything else that looks like it might help and a lot of elbow grease.

For things other than rust... The above, dishwashing detergent, alcohol, nail polish remover, various metal cleaners, old toothbrush, razor blades, and pretty much anything else depending on what I am trying to remove from what.

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 03:59:48 pm »

I thought you were going to ask on advice for getting rid of illegal drugs.  Cheesy

Yeah! I was going to suggest flushing them! Grin

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
von Adler
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 04:29:10 pm »

I usually use a vinegar bath and a brush (tootbrush or wire, depending on the object and the extent of crud), sometimes together with salt or baking soda for increased effect. Sometimes I also use acetone and a piece of cloth to scrub particularly tenuous crud off (or wipe away remnants of stickers, etc.).
Morse
Deck Hand

Fireflies and Empty Skies

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:30:44 pm »

There's a good one Adler, I had heard of using vinegar and was wondering (Secretly) if anybody actually used it and if it worked.  Good to know that I can put an "Affirmed" stamp on this myth.  Thanks for posting your favorite methods guys!

Drugs didn't even cross my mind when making this post, I feel clever now.
von Adler
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 07:24:17 am »

There's a good one Adler, I had heard of using vinegar and was wondering (Secretly) if anybody actually used it and if it worked.

It can be a slow process, as sometimes the object may need several hours or more of soaking, but on the plus side, it's safer and environmentally friendlier than most other chemicals and is easier to clean up than the results of mechanical efforts (I often need to work in my apartment, in the same space I sleep and eat in, so I like to avoid chemical smells, metal shavings and dust in my dinner). It's also not that useful on large objects, as the area to be cleaned needs to be wholly submerged in the vinegar bath.
oldfool
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 04:46:10 pm »

Go here to see what the bike guys do using chemistry and electricity. Plenty of info.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=520550&highlight=rust+removal

I have not used the electrolysis method because I have not needed it (yet) but I'm going to just for the fun. Oxalic acid works but takes time and it makes my fingers swell if I don't use rubber gloves.
Everything rust here.
Better living through chemistry. Roll Eyes

Oldfool
Tinkerer, Maker, Aviator ret. Mariner ret,
www.oldfool.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: